PDA

View Full Version : Random particle rotation

MihaiPocorschi
11-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi

Trying to find out how to work out the random rotation of particles. Basically for 100 particles I want each one of them to rotate (pendulum) arround 1 axis. Should be random for each particle and shoulw be animated. Something like spin but not a full rotation.

grury
11-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Why dodnt u do the pendular animation on the instanced objects themselves and then choose animated mesh on the settings and animation offset keying

MihaiPocorschi
11-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Because that's not really random. It's the same animation (same rotation limits) every time for each particle although it's offset. With 500 particles there are bound to be particles that have the same animation. So i was thinking something more random. Like choosing each time a different limit .... from -15 to 14 ..... then back to -10 then jump to 8 then to -15 and so on and so forth. really randomize stuff. Also .. the time it takes from one extreme to the other should be fairly random... one particle may take 5 frames for that another might take 20 frames. also if there's a way of having a nonlinear transition between extremes would be great.

if anybody has any ideas or could point me into the right maxscript direction would appreciate it.

grury
11-02-2007, 01:23 PM
well u could easly do the animation on a petal, use a noise controller on the axis u want the rotation, give it a value between -15 n 15, then clone the petal 10 times, change the seed on each one, group them n use the group elements as your instanced shape.
Not that hard I guess. But obviously if theres a script out there that does that for u, then all the better.

MihaiPocorschi
11-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the sugestion. Yes I did think about that but that comes down to rand(10 animations) i really wanted something that's somewhat procedural in method in order to achieve more randomness. If I can't find another solution I think I'll go with the shape anim.

nan1203
11-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Hey
Did you eventually find out a solution? I'm trying to do exactly the same thing on the rotation only it is for the inital position of the particles. I found something that may help though I have 0 knowledge of maxscript. I'm still trying to figure out...if you figure out can you plz let me know? Here's a script that I thought may help...
http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1069&sid=471d27c8bc31381e3924419e39bc4b49

Thanks

Thanks for the sugestion. Yes I did think about that but that comes down to rand(10 animations) i really wanted something that's somewhat procedural in method in order to achieve more randomness. If I can't find another solution I think I'll go with the shape anim.

MihaiPocorschi
11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
@ nan1203
due to time constraints I was forced to stay with that solution (animating the instanced objects by hand). Probably when I'll have more free time I'll look at it

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.