PDA

View Full Version : Acting Animation Test - I don't believe you

DogFighter
11-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi,

This is another small acting test I've done with Maya for my new animation reel, using the now very popular Andy Rig by Jonh Doublestein www.johndoublestein.com. (http://www.johndoublestein.com)
Rendered with Mental Ray and some final tweaks with Digital Fusion and After Effects.
Please welcome any feedback or critics you may have! :)

Believe.mov (sorenson, 6,2MB) (http://www.santicolomo.com/Believe.mov)

http://www.santicolomo.com/Believe.jpg

ivanisavich
11-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Hey Dogfighter,

That's great! Very fluid motions, and I like how the guy crosses his legs at the moment...very well acted!

Marcos_BorBa
11-01-2007, 03:32 PM
very nice piece. really like it the crossing leg. And wtch it your new reel to. ipece of art!!!:bounce:

skellybobbly
11-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Hi Dogfighter,

Thats a great acting piece.
I really like the eyebrow animation, particularly the guys at the start.

Lovely acting choices, as mentioned before the leg crossing works very well.

Nice camera angles too!

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Jon

Blusoul
11-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Great work Santi, The acting feels very natural and I like the attitude of the characters.
Keep up the cool work!

AKAI-kAME
11-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Hey dude!!

Really nice work and full of nice details.. I really enjoyed it.

Abazaba
11-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Verry nice work indeed. My only crit is the eyes. Both chars look cross eyed alot. Maybee turn the head more?

richardoud
11-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Looks great sir.. love the acting on the boy, very natural, but very well timed!

DogFighter
11-01-2007, 11:50 PM
ivanisavich Thanks. Main reason for the last camera is to show the crossing leg!.

Marcos_BorBa Thanks, I'm still working on my reel, but I published that one to send it somewhere I wanted to.

blowtorch Cheers!

Blusoul Thanks a lot for your comments.

AKAI-kAME Thanks dude, I'm only following your steps!

Abazaba I'm glad you mention that about the eyes. I forgot about it. I'm not sure if it is just me, or I'm missing something I should use in the rig because it was a real pain to fix the crossed eyes when the character looked to the sides. If you don't turn the head almost straight where they’re looking, one of the eyes, the interior one, will disappear under the lids. :cry:

Has anyone else had this problem with this rig?

mttjss
11-02-2007, 12:27 AM
great job! Love the little attention to detail!
Definitely shows your experience over the past 9 years.

Love when she rubs her fingers together and when she looks off in the distance before looking down at him.

5 stars from me.

Matt -

Whitmire
11-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Looks great! Very nice acting. I remember checking out your reel a few months ago. Good stuff!:thumbsup:

metamesh
11-02-2007, 08:52 PM
hey DogFighter!! Awesome acting! very funny! i really enjoyed it, looking forward for more animations from yours!!

PuGs
11-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Hey man I loved small ques. The eye darts were very realistic, and like everyone else ...nice leg cross! its right up there with "Basic Instinct" the way the right legs leans in first and then the weight... drool~drool~ Keep it up!

Oupalline
11-02-2007, 09:21 PM
nice one man. I really like all that subtle stuff you have with the girl with her hand and her thinking about what to say next. totally works. My only critique ( besides the eys prob, which has been already mentioned) is that at the end of the clip her reaction to his "brushing her off" is in my opinion way too big of a change in comparaison to the rest of her anim. I defenetly think there should be a reactionf rom her, but right now it feels oout of place with the rest of her acting. The whole wait shift and hand on side just doesn't feel like it's her really doing it, as opposed to the rest of the animation where i totally feel her being there and thinking and breathing and etc etc. I just felt that last move broke the believability for me. But that's just me. I would do something a little more subtle. more like the rest of your animation which works so well.

-phil

SheepFactory
11-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Great animation test Santiago. Awesome timing on all the actions and the acting was great. The only part that felt off to me is the girls surprise face when the boy does the "oh whatever" hand motion. It just felt out of character on the girls part since she already "doesnt believe him" and therefore would have been expecting that reaction imo.

Anyway thats really nitpick stuff , great animation.

scott3d
11-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Great characters and nice acting. Much better then previous conversations between young people I've seen.

cyruslam
11-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Awesome animation, that's good ^^

peck
11-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Hola Santi!!

Wow man really nice piece!! Congrads to you because it looks like your doing really well.. think you made the a good move to work on your reel!! Its really showing man! I saw this one a few weeks ago in blocking, the final piece looks awsome!! Keep up the good work bro!

P.s Apart from the animation being really nice I like the lighting setup, maybe you can help me??

COOOOoool man!

Craig

DogFighter
11-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks to everybody for you comments. :)

mttjss you make me feel old saying that about my experience!

Brian Whitmire
thanks for all the critics you did to my reel. Thanks to you and some other animators in Blur Studio I think the reel looks much better than it did before! And thanks to Diego Garcia to ask you to do it!
I've checked your web, and I really like some of your anims, especially the Evasion short, with the cyber dogs. Good dynamics in there and in many other of your anims. :thumbsup:

metamesh
Thanks man! ... But you are my friend, you always like what I do... that's not good! :scream:

PuGs thanks!

Oupalline
You are probably quite right about her last movement been too much. I didn't get that one right from the beginning. First I make her crossing her arms, and it felt more natural, but it was too similar to him. Then I started to over tweak her last movement and it started to lose that natural flow. But well, something very important I've learn doing this anim is that is more difficult and more rewarding doing very subtle movements that not crazy ones. As you say, the first ones make you think more about the character, not about the movement itself.

SheepFactory
I can see your point, but I think is quite difficult to comment about acting... because many people or actors will react in many different ways to the same action. You are probably giving an opinion at a director level, when things are not wrong, but just a "matter of style". :)

scott3d Thanks!

cyruslam thanks again... ;)

peck
Thanks Craig. Of course I'll help you with your lighting!
Someone else asked me if I could explain a bit about the lighting... so I'll try to post some examples about what I did.

plasteredcat
11-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Superb animation indeed!!Subtle in the body language yet full of expression, truly a leap forward in your portfolio. Simply great...:thumbsup:

bscott
11-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Maybe turn the incredibles down a notch. Bit loud for my taste.

AkinYaman
11-05-2007, 11:30 PM
nice work :)

The Funimator
11-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Awesome piece of acting! I LOVE It.. haha...

karan_vis
11-07-2007, 05:55 PM
hey Man great work .Love the weight shifts. Its impressive.

just the part where the guy throws his hand,,,it looks a little off. But overall its great

Karan

CGTalk Moderation
11-07-2007, 05:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.