PDA

View Full Version : Medal around neck

pogg
10-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could put a medal around a character's neck and have it animate using gravity or a clever bone system in order to avoid animating it seperately by hand? Doesn't necessarily need to be a cloth related solution as the animation is pretty cartoony. What I need is something that will take the movement from an animated character and make it influence the medal while keeping it atached to it's ribbon.

Appologies for duplicating this thread, but I didn't get much repsonse in Dynamics

anthonymcgrath
11-16-2007, 11:30 AM
hmmm I'm taking a guess here:

make the medal a rigid body. you could then create hinge constraint between the medal and the characters neck. you could then create a simplified (slightly offset outward) version of the characters body, skin this and hide it. Then you could make it a collision object for the medal. adjust settings so it doesn't bounce too much and see what that does.

the ribbon could use simple cluster deformers parented to the medal to shift the points about.

like I said just thinkin on me feet - sure someone can suggest a better idea. I'd love to know how myself as I want to put a gold chain around my current character wip :/

pogg
11-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Cheers Ant!

(Did you see that I moved back to Mere-Mortals : )

anthonymcgrath
11-16-2007, 01:00 PM
hi Nicholas

Sorry didn't look at your profile till just now. Hope everythings goin good for you an the rest of the team.

cheers
anthony

yenvalmar
11-23-2007, 07:04 AM
the workflow outlined above wasnt bad, it does help to have a hidden proxy collision mesh. then just make the spline curve you are using dynamic with maya hair and set it to collide with the collision mesh in the maya hair menu using the "make collide" command. thats pretty much it.

anthonymcgrath
11-23-2007, 08:29 AM
yeah thats a good method.

Question for Yenvalmar: when you come to extrude a profile curve down the hair curve - would the tangency screw up a little bit as the curve moves? If so how is that fixable?

cheers
anthony

CGTalk Moderation
11-23-2007, 08:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.