PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillar Animation Challenge

Cheshie
10-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Hey everybody! This is my first animation post here. I'm working on a walk-test for a caterpillar, which is one of the characters for my class production. Basically, I animated the whole first walk cycle, and then I wanted it to continue, not in place, but in a continuous forward motion. I don't know if this was the proper way to go about it, but I copied the keys in the graph editor and pasted them, in hopes that the caterpillar would continue to walk forward. He does, but his feet continue to move farther and farther away from the body and very quickly looks terrible. I'm firstly looking for a solution to the problem, but equally as appreciated would be critiques on the motion. Thanks for any help and here's the link. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=sUJWWW-yNjM)

mistasam02
10-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Cool! I liked how he kinda snaps the rear forward. Very cartoony and well timed out! My only crit is that the front (head area) stays somewhat level, and it could maybe raise up like it's exerting force to get further. Looks great though, good work! :D

JYoung
10-31-2007, 02:39 AM
That happens because each footstep is moving a greater distance than his body is moving. As you cycle, this compounds over time and the feet drift away.

Also, if you're just going to do a cycle, look into creating a clip with the trax editor. That way you can loop it as many times as you want, but change only the original keyframes. Might make it easier than copying and pasting keyframes(which is perfectly fine as well).

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2007, 02:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.