PDA

View Full Version : How do I model a nut and a bolt ?

XRED
04-12-2003, 12:11 AM
Hey guys,

How do I model a realistiq nut and a bolt, with a nice helical ridge...?

Thanks !

http://www.concept-group.co.uk/Images/careers/nut+bolt.jpg

CTRL+X
04-12-2003, 12:47 AM
What have you tried on your own that didn't work? why did it not work??

Jockomo
04-12-2003, 12:49 AM
http://www.captainlightwave.com/

Look under tutorials

XRED
04-12-2003, 10:37 PM
CTRL+X , to model a nut and a bolt is something very simple... that damn helical ridge is the problem... :)

Jockomo... thanx ... exactly what I was using ... but there's not what I wanted... the ridge... :)

xasteycracker
04-13-2003, 04:09 AM
i had to make one a while back if you can tell me what the ridge is i might be able to help you.

dies-irae
04-13-2003, 04:14 AM
i believe that the ridge part IS covered by the tutorial. it's on the LATHE tool part

Threads, a nightmare...or maybe not?

Let's take a closer look.

Make a small triangle just below the bolt.

18: Next is the lathe tool, and now it's time for some calculations. Since we are so lucky that we're using LighWave 3D, we also have a built-in calculator....

Let's say that we want to have 35 rounds of threads. With a smoothness of 24 sides per revolution, we type in 24*35 in the "SIDES" field in the numeric panel.

Since we want 360*35 the "END ANGLE" automatically calculates this to be 12600.

Play a bit with the offset and press the spacebar when you're satisfied.

Note: It'simportant that you don't cover the whole body of the bolt with threads as this is highly unusual.

19: Inverse the layers, putting the threads in the background layer and do another boolean substraction.

you just have to tweak the start shape if a simple triangle doesnt' fit your needs

iBlue
04-13-2003, 04:59 AM
Subpath and weight maps! :bounce:

XRED
04-13-2003, 11:17 PM
Thanx dies-irae ! :)
Thanx guys !

... yap... the solution was on page two ... but I haven't notice the link for it... :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.