PDA

View Full Version : Help: Spine with IK/FK & stretch Tutorial?

slapnutz
10-30-2007, 04:23 AM
Hi all,

I would really like to learn and become proficient at making a rigs that has an IK/FK Spine with stretch controls.

Any links will be greatly appeciated, I dont mind videos/documents/dvd/books or whatever media it originated on.

I know "The Setup Machine" has this rig but I would also like to learn how to do it myself (teach a man to fish). I've seen examples by Jason Schleifer and thats sort of the rig setup I'm hoping to learn.

I've made several standard biped rigs but would like to basically "be like jason" eventually. I apologies if I've missed a thread that already might have answered my question.

Cheers.

jschleifer
10-30-2007, 01:15 PM
heya!

that's the best attitude to have.. the "teach a man to fish" one. :) awesome!

and thanks for the props! I believe there are few tutorials availabe online that teach how to do a stretchy spine.. but most of them don't do it quite how I like, they tend to allow a little bit of motion in the head, shoulder, and arms when you tweak the hips, and I prefer to have those things be completely independent.

If you're interested, I do have a few dvds for sale through Autodesk that teach how to do the spine and how to think about rigging in general.. It's the Animator Friendly Rigging series.

Check them out here:
http://store.autodesk.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductSearchResultsPage&SiteID=adsk&Locale=en_US&CallingPageID=ProductDetailsPage&Env=BASE&keywords=animator+friendly+rigging&x=0&y=0

slapnutz
11-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Wow, from the man himself!

Firstly thanks for the prompt response. I knew about the first DVD but didnt realise that the remainder of the series had been released until I was told around a month ago. I'm in New Zealand so needless to say there are some "issues" with the Autodesk shop regarding international orders. I see from your site, you are well aware of these.

However, as you've mentioned things are look hopeful for orders. If all else fails, I'll try and get my relatives in the US to send them across the ditch.

btw, the DVDs look really awesome. Its hard finding tutorials these days that not only show the "how" but take time to explain the "why" behind them.

Once again, thank you.

P.s...any plans on doing a Quadruped rigging series? :)

jschleifer
11-01-2007, 05:44 PM
hah :) no plans on any more dvds at this point.. maybe later, but right now my time is totally full with Baby (and new baby on the way), being a supervising animator on madagascar: the crate escape, and mentoring at AnimationMentor.com

oh, and watching Hero's.. gotta watch that!

But I know Javier put together a great quadraped rig.. I think he's going to be releasing it sometime on DVD.. I hope, anyway! :)
-jason

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2007, 05:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.