PDA

View Full Version : VFS Modeling Reel by Andrew Astapov

OdinChuvak
10-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Andrew Astapov and I recently graduated from Vancouver Film School.
This is my 2007 reel.

Hope you enjoy.

Any comments and critiques are welcome.

http://andrewastapov.com/shared/AndrewAstapovModelingReelHigh.mov

if you right click save as it should download faster.

Cheers

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x76/odinchuvak/oracle4web.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x76/odinchuvak/HeavyArtillery4web.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x76/odinchuvak/Draco4web.jpg

TrevorTang
10-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Congrats!

Pretty cool stuff, although it took a long time to download.

Think the first model would be more convincing if there was SSS on the eye. Feels like a solid eye, rather then somthing soft/squishy.

I see you've removed the texturing on the 2nd model, although it still looks good I think it could use sharper detailing/another detail pass.

Are you planning to texture the Draconian?

boboa4eva
10-30-2007, 02:00 AM
Very nice Andrew.

I really love the first model :thumbsup: Scary

ftaswin
10-30-2007, 02:08 AM
What's up with the black line down the dragon's head (right?) Does that meant to be there?

Good stuff!

OdinChuvak
10-31-2007, 12:59 AM
Thank you guys for your coments.

Trevor- sorry for the download time I'l put up a smaller version tonigh and youtube ofcourse.

I decided to render the second model as a sculpt rather than a game model and my textures wouldnt have caried over to the high rez as it had completely different UVs.

And yes I do plan to texture the Draco someday. But thats a long ways off.

Bobo- thank you very much sir you found me prety quickly

ftaswin- the black line is a comping error. I noticed it only after I took the still out of my footage and by then it was to late to rerender.

Thanks again guys.

jigsawe
10-31-2007, 06:57 AM
yo, hows it going man,

Great to see it up here, awesome stuff, i really like the feel of these models.

i do think it may need some detailing in general. Like the armor on the dragon, u should put in the armor design u were gonna do. and just a little more of definitian on the face of the 2nd model.

hows the russian dude going

ANasir
10-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Andrew! Grats on the reel completion, nice to see it (again).

I can't really make additional feedback that differs from what others have already posted, so I'll just say well done and it was a pleasure working with you the last year :)

-Aishath

sFiorentino112
10-31-2007, 07:44 PM
awsome reel man, all of it is very impressive.

god i hope i get into vfs...my advisor is making me nervous lol.

very great reel, awsome stuff.

samsonwong
11-01-2007, 06:27 AM
Andrew !! It's an awesome modelling reel!! I really like the first one, and the last one... they look so real...I like the last one the most, with the skin, and you have pay such a great attention on the details...of the eyes, the back, the mass, everything ~

Cool
Good luck !

diginime
11-01-2007, 03:02 PM
hey andrew, congratz on your reel. I really like the detail for the dragon warrior. Good luck in your job hunting! :)

OdinChuvak
11-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the coments guys.

Don-Thanks man. Looking at it now I agree I should have added some more detail on the armor to ballance it out with the body.
Aishath-thank you, and the pleasure was all mine. And congrats on finishing as well. Cant wait to see your reel up here.
sFiorentino112-Good luck, It will be quite an experience once you get in.
Samson-thanks for the compliments and thanks for the help this year.
Hao-Thanks the dragon was really fun to detail.

ATARAXIAN
11-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Hey Andrew,..Nice to see the finished reel!! It looks Great!! Been a real pleasure collaborating with you and wish you well in all your endeavours. Thanks for everything:)

Cheers

Ari

KrisSeli
11-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Awesome reel! Love the texturing job on the oracle -- it's really gross! :)

Now I wait to see your bust of Aleksei Serebryakov. Almost done?

Good luck to you, Andrew!

seba108
11-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Yo Andrew!... Great reel! My favorite is the second one. The pose is soooo nice! Good luck with the jobhunt!

-Seba

OdinChuvak
11-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Ari - Good sir, the pleasure has been entirely mine. And likewise I wish the best for you.

Kristen - Thank you, its what I was going for. The bust will have to wait till better days but I promise It will be done.

Seba - thanks man, I think youre the first to like the hellboy moosedog the most :)

alanSmithee
11-27-2007, 03:51 AM
andrew!

congrats on finishing the reel. you've come a long way, baby. maybe we'll get a chance to work together someday.

-j

p.s. the drconian's my fave, but you already knew that.

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2007, 03:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.