PDA

View Full Version : render out sound as an image sequence?

paulc
10-29-2007, 11:16 AM
I don't know if this is the right forum to place this request but here goes.

Does anyone know of any programs that can 'visualise' sound and then export an image sequence, I guess in the same way as the visualiser in itunes for example.

I just wanted to do some tests using those image sequences to drive a particle emitter?

Any ideas!

feldy
10-29-2007, 08:21 PM
maybe soundforge but its not a max thing thats for sure.

scrimski
10-29-2007, 09:41 PM
You might want to try the audio controller

paulc
10-30-2007, 10:52 AM
No, I know about the audio controller in Max. What I want is omething that will generate a series of images based on an audio track (see attached a screen grab fom itunes). For example something like the waveform generator in After effects but more abstract?! That I can then use as a material to control particle emmission. Does that make sense? Can soundforge do this I thought it was purely a digital audio editor?

Thanks for your replies.

PaulC

BrandonD
10-30-2007, 04:52 PM
There isn't a "make music visualizer" tool in MAX, but as mentioned there is the audio controller that you can use to transform audio data into animation data. So theoretically you could build a setup that does things based on the incoming sound file. The audio controller reads the sound and creates an animation curve based on clamped highs and lows. Try putting one in a Float List on a camera's target and watch the camera bump to the beat. You can use these pretty much anywhere, including materials, lights, particles, etc. It's a simple controller, so don't expect a whole lot from it. Ideally you'd want your music separated into isolated tracks for maximum control.

paulc
10-31-2007, 11:54 AM
No, I was looking for an external application. I just thought someone might have come across something before.

I've been using the audio tracks to control the rateof particles and pretty much everyhting else, but the effect isn't as organic as the client wants. I was just thinking outside the box a little. I imagined that it might work if I put the image sequence on the emitter object as to control density by material.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

grury
10-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Yo Paul, check yo mail..

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2007, 01:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.