PDA

View Full Version : 3dsmax UVmapper needed. To help me!

Diffused
04-11-2003, 03:50 PM
I got this gnome.. you might have seen it floating around in WIP or the texturing forum..
Well.. i pretty much gave up on trying to uvmapp the damn thing.
Here it is:
http://3dsurface.com/uploads/Gnome-Final%20Model.jpg

This isnt going to be some movie or some big thing..
I just need help on uvmapping this thing.
If you can help me uvmapp him, it would be wonderful.
thanks

[Edit] Updated the image! [Edit]

aol- polyblur
icq- 99666018
msn- Diffused

unLevel
04-12-2003, 12:47 AM
yes, this is a very nice model, SOMEONE, UVMAP THIS GUY!!!

unLevel
04-21-2003, 03:54 PM
I sure hope someone wants to help you, what a nice model, and I'd do it for sure if I actually new what UV mapping was, is it same as texturing?

Diffused
04-21-2003, 08:51 PM
^^^ Updated the image.

unLevel- Uvmapping is the step you take before texturing. Its the step where you unwrap the mesh into a 2d map that you paint over in photoshop to make the texture. Its like a reference map.
This gnome is very complicated and i tried for soo long to uvmap him but failed. :cry:

polymath
04-23-2003, 07:06 PM
what kinda specs do you need on the mapping? map size?

do you want the parts to be mapped separately or in one big @ss piece? ;)

etc.

Diffused
04-23-2003, 10:47 PM
There are no restrictions on map size at all.., one big piece would be great, but seperate is ok too. Just somthing big enough to texture on in photoshop.

You want to try? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

CENOBITE
04-23-2003, 10:55 PM
If you have 3DS Max, you can find 'Texporter' online for free to use as a plug-in. It unwrapps and colorizes the polys so you can tell what is what. I too am having problems currently unwrapping a character's head...when its unwrapped there are vertices going 'spiking' all over the place and I have no Idea why... bummer.

Diffused
04-23-2003, 10:57 PM
I know about texporter, i have it installed.
Texporter can be only used after uvmapping is done. Texporter basically makes a jpeg, ( 2 dimentional flat reference guide) of the model. But you need to unwravel the model nicely and then texport. --> Its the unwraveling part which is hard. (Uvunwrap modifier in 3dsmax)

polymath
04-24-2003, 02:51 AM
lol, how do you want it unwrapped? that's the prob, I dunno how you'd like it. like how do you want the unwrapping to look like, how do you want to paint it like? something like that.

Diffused
04-24-2003, 04:13 AM
Well, Unwrapped in sections: The heads separately, body separately, arms separately, pants separately. But all those parts on ONE uvapping modifier.
Iíll paint on it myself; I just need the gnome mapped.

does this help?
Do you have msn? icq? aol? irc?

polymath
04-24-2003, 04:21 AM
you can check my profile for contacts, just don't use email, its whack. I'm on 24/7 pretty much, I'll get back to you asap.

I could prob handle doing a single map with a single uvw mapping set. What's the problem with different multiple uvwmapping coords? you can paint the same things on there in multiple maps ;)

using max5?

unLevel
04-24-2003, 12:49 PM
since email is whack, you didn't get my email about your site, did you, polymath?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.