PDA

View Full Version : Creating your own world

Lucremonkey
04-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Ok, my first post on this board :)

I'm walking around with this idear for the past year that I didn't have time to figure out how to do it myself.

I want to create a world. A world that amaze people like Myst did and let's people reconize things in like Grand Theft Auto 3.

I don't know anything about 3d programms except what the book 'The Art Of Maya' showed me of Maya.

I'm wondering if anybody else is interesting in creating a world in which people will be able to walk around freely and even maybe (later idear) meet each other in a sort of multiplayer mode. Maybe it could be a sort of community like this, but different because you first have to download it but then be able to walk through in real-time 3d.

Well, it's only an idear.. but I really want to start working on it one day. If anyone out here wants to help me, I will learn whatever I need to learn :)

(already have skills in:
- Flash MX
- Photoshop
- Web-stuff)

Greets,
Lucre

unLevel
04-11-2003, 11:46 PM
Yes, I would like to create a world, and maybe I can add a few ideas?:

- be able to command a small army, or group, something like throne of darkness and age of empires, so you can see a large portion of the map
-be able to switch to reality-mode or something, where you play more like unreal tourney, where you are one of the players, and the group/army plays as team ai's in ut...
-the main focus would be on supreme eye-candy, just cause I think that it is possible and has not been done yet...

Not sure if that just complicates things, and I have very few skills, sorry, all I have is ideas...sadly...

unLevel
04-12-2003, 01:08 AM
oh, and you might want to go ask a few of hte nice guys in the game programming section, under the game design forum...

waterhycinth
04-13-2003, 07:11 PM
or if you wanted a really cool effect make it a game but it's connected to the internet so that you can have profiles and other stuff and meet new people....just a thought though

I have seen in a book that they did like a chatting application online where you have little people and they walk around and chat and play and other stuff.. I know this wouldn't help since it's more of a chatting app but hey it's an idea.

MikeRhone
04-14-2003, 06:19 AM
Well, wouldn't this all just be like Unreal or Quake 3 with the shooting turned off? ;)

Dont get me wrong, I think its a great idea! Ever since I tried the first VR game back in 93..? 94...? called Pterodactyl terror. Mind you, it was horrible compared to todays standards but fun none the less.

It shouldn't be too hard to create a level in Unreal or Q3, and restrict the weapons. Maybe instead of weapons you'de have actions, and lots of "taunt" animations where you can "buttrock, drool, smile etc. (Like real life versions of emoticons.)

If framerate isnt a big deal for people (Which it woulnt be in a chat room world situation) Then you could make VAST levels (worlds) to explore.

Just firing some ideas you're way.

Mike R

Keiyentai
04-14-2003, 07:34 AM
I wouldent mind helping out at all. Sounds awesome. Though I don;t know how to program I have some awesome idea;'s for worlds and lands. As for the walking around and so on maybe make it so you can make your own char and import it in to the world so you have your own unique look. Though whole (Quake No weapons) sounds a little odd. I was thinking maybe you could talk to people and maybe trade 3D objects you make for "Money" or somehting. Probaly be funner than farting and would proably be easier to pgrograming. Who knows. PLus it would be a great way to get your art around the web. Though you would need to encodee it so you could choise whether or not they could latrer it or so on.

1 more thing. What program is everyone using? I'm going to use LightWave 7.0

do0d
04-14-2003, 04:54 PM
id love to help out too,soon as i get my 3dsmax to work hehe...

Kamul
04-14-2003, 06:43 PM
Sounds great I'd love to help you out.
°,°maybe we could create something like everquest or ragnarok online that would be great^,,,,^.
°~°well i don't have programming skills at 3d engines[>.< I wish i would be able to speak delphi or c] but I may create modells if ya want me

fourd
04-14-2003, 09:52 PM
I would have to direct you to www.garagegames.com land of the Torgue game engine.

I just finished working on a multi-player game there and am waiting for it to go to market, but people over there are also using it for archtiectual walk-throughs and such. You should check it out.

Keiyentai
04-15-2003, 07:52 AM
Torgue sounds like a good Idea. I just hope they get the plugins for LightWave soon, that way I can do somestuff with out haveing to change the format of the file. I was also thinking we could be like the "owner" of the land we make for the world. Maybe have a couple people work on one land then some independant Islands or something like that. We need a ruff draft though of how big we want this and who makes what and where it would go. Personaly I wanted to make an island that was surrouded in mystery and stuff :D

fourd
04-17-2003, 02:41 PM
There are plug-ins for LW. They are quite good also. you can get the LW DTS Exporter @ http://www.gnometech.com/index.shtml

it's in it's 3rd version. The latest is a beta, but that is the one you want.

--------------

Also, you would either have to buy the torgue license ($100 usd) or find someone that already has it to work with you.

Frank Dodd
04-19-2003, 10:10 AM
If I understand the origonal concept correctly this would be similar to an exploration adventure game and later on an IRC element drafted in. I've thought about this combination before and even using IRC as a conduit for the games data too (as long as it didn't flood the service and buried games data in human readable messages) it would provide a ready made global server network (even if it were wide open to hacking abuse :) )

To pull something like this off I think you would need the following skills: -

:annoyed: A small team of passionate, methodical and logical designers with a good insight into all aspects of game development.
:love: A couple of enthusiastic programmers armed with a modern SDK/Games tool to develop the games engine.
:wip: A 'community' of artists 3D and 2D to create the massive number of sets, objects and textures to establish the environment
:buttrock: A small group of musicians, sound engineers to creating backing music and effects

Sounds like a very big project, good luck!

unLevel
04-19-2003, 02:50 PM
you forgot the super idea guys who come up with all the ideas: :arteest:

Mangled Poly
04-20-2003, 01:38 AM
This sounds a lot like a program www.activeworlds.com you can build buildings chat with friends play games all in 3d realtime however the engine is old(not horrable) and the peopel deving it are horrable at modeling

Keiyentai
04-20-2003, 04:05 AM
seems like a cool little place. I'm going to check it out to get an idea of what to make. Though Frank is right. We need more people.

Lucremonkey
04-20-2003, 07:31 AM
Sorry for not replying earlier, but I was really busy and on vacation for a couple of days :D

Ok, seems like loads of people are interested (yay! :))
My question to you is:

- Which program do you think can suit this project best? Since I'm a bit new to the whole 3d scene (no worries, I'm a quick learner ;)) I can't tell, but maybe you can

- Who still wants to help? Maybe we could set up a small community for the project (or just talk here) and try to start working on it. If you still want to help, just post it and after a while I will make a list of people who want to help and which program(s) we will use.

Well, I would love it if this whole idear would become real, but we will see :)

Lucre

Keiyentai
04-20-2003, 06:40 PM
I still wan to help. As far as Program it all depends what you like and can afford. I personaly like LightWave. Great Modeling and Rendering tools. Some like 3D StudioMax. Though I would recomend LightWave to anyone lol 3D StudioMaxs Layout just confuses me lol. Oh if we do get this up we need to make the textures better then ActiveWorlds (Horrid in some places) and 56k modem friendly......:beer: :bounce: Lets ROCK!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :airguitar

xzevlin
04-20-2003, 10:59 PM
You might want to take a look at Adobe Atmosphere (http://www.adobe.com/products/atmosphere/main.html). I played around with it when it first went into beta a while ago, and the big advantage would be that everyone could build their own "world" and you would be able to link them up through portals.

Frank Dodd
04-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Xzevlin
That is also a good suggestion. If all depends on what the original concept was. If it was to create a VR type community with lots of places to explore just to see the graphics and that would be a good option. It would also be very achievable. If the wish was to include games elements in I think some thing a little most sophisticated would be needed.

Keiyentai
You said, "I was thinking maybe you could talk to people and maybe trade 3D objects you make for 'Money' or something"

Sounds good, this would give your 'Myst Chat' something that IRC lacks, an activity to help people into the chat, people that would otherwise end up 'lurking'. Something that Everquest and Planetarion do/did very well and your idea could contribute to introduce a role-playing element.

These 'chat' activities could be playing 'Gun Ball' in #ClanDaBomb, General chat and Poker in the #Tavern or sermons and religious debate in Reverend Dave’s #Temple. You would need a simple but effective chat client married with a 3D Game client that operated with comprehensive physics, downloadable objects/maps and simple scripts that 'channel' owners could write to define rules for their bit of the world. The landscape map could be a more global element portaling off to specific files / sites as you entered particular locations (making walking about a little like browsing channels!?) Here are a couple of mosaic images, diagrams and ideas for anyone to do with as they wish.

Myst Chat Game Sample (http://www.frankdodd.screaming.net/Temp/MystChat_1.jpg)

Myst Chat Game Communications (http://www.frankdodd.screaming.net/Temp/MystChat_2.jpg)

It would definitly need a lot of drive to get ti going though.

Good luck Lucremonkey, :thumbsup:

Keiyentai
04-23-2003, 02:35 PM
Frank wow.....you amaze me. That is a Killer Idea. Ok here are my objectives for this.

Model 1 or more "Lands" and some Perl programing. I am currently learning Perl and in a cuople of weeks or so I should know enough to help glue some stuff together. Though it would hlp if we had someone that used C or something like that cuase if it was all based in Perl it would be limited in a way since Perl is mostly for manipulating text and linking up CGI. Just give me the word and I will start making lands and post them on here for apovel. Hey Frank mind helping out some? lol would could use your knowledge man.

Frank Dodd
04-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Thanks Keiyentai, I would love to ask to join into the project but unfortunatly I am already working on one at the moment that won't be finished for a few months.

But it sounds like it would be a great project and good luck to everyone that wants to work on it. Hopefully its quiet because everyone is busy doing samples and putting down ideas ;)

I think it will help if you put down lots of ideas about what you want in the game/tool, then decide on what exactly your after before you then plan what you have decided out in great detail.

Good luck again :wavey:

Keiyentai
04-24-2003, 11:07 AM
Cool. I hope your prodject goes well man. Thanks for all the invo and yes I agree with you. We need CRTIRIA AND IDEAS MORE MORE MORE lol. Personaly I vote for the "Myst Chat"

Lucremonkey
04-24-2003, 11:19 AM
I will post some idear today or tomorrow (been a bit busy)

Keiyentai
04-27-2003, 08:28 AM
ok. I just got 3D Studio Max 4.2 and I have a friend who also uses 3D Studio Max 4.2 and is showing me some cool stuff. SO I might be using Max for this project

Lucremonkey
04-27-2003, 08:42 AM
I have loads of free time today, so I will post a short presentation about my idear later today

I animate
04-28-2003, 01:17 AM
Not to throw a wrench in the works BUT......:eek: Do you all know how long it will take to do a project like this?

I think the ideas are great, don't get me wrong. I am animation instructor and also own a small animation studio, so I do know a little something about all of this.

Holy Cow! You're looking at a couple of years worth of work if you plan on making this a game.

I say go for it, but with a realistic idea about the amount of work it really takes.

Best of luck

::By the way:: I use Max 5.1, Photoshop, Combustion and Deep Paint. Only about $10,000 or so in US dollars.

Keiyentai
04-28-2003, 08:42 AM
Cool. Nice arsenal man. I know how long it will take, I have been playing games all my life so I know that it can take a couple years or more....COUGHMortal Kombat Deadly AllienceCOUGH took 3 years...I just hope this will go far. It would be fun to have this go far.

unLevel
04-28-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Keiyentai
I know how long it will take, I have been playing games all my life so I know that it can take a couple years or more

me too ;)

Kamul
04-28-2003, 08:34 PM
^.^sorry that I was away for such a long time but i still want to help.
PS:I tried adobe atmosphere too but i think it sucks°~°

Matski007
12-06-2005, 12:04 PM
www.spiralmatrix.com (http://www.spiralmatrix.com) uses the same engines as Activeworlds but has much nicer people and owner, you might be able to chat with him for some ideas and help in the area, We are good friends and over the years ive done a hell of a lot of Modelling for worlds within it, infact the very first one you enter was made by me. Just thought that might help <---- its cheaper too heh

deathstar129
12-07-2005, 05:29 AM
Ok, my first post on this board :)
Well, it's only an idear.. but I really want to start working on it one day. If anyone out here wants to help me, I will learn whatever I need to learn :)

(already have skills in:
- Flash MX
- Photoshop
- Web-stuff)

Greets,
Lucre

Sorry too have to point this out but. If you wanna creat a game/world where you walk around in a 3d world (kinda alot like planeshift). I think you need alot more time to work on your skill set. web stuff, flash, and photoshop I also know a little about. I also have been working with 3d max, JAVA, and little c++ and have that same idea in my head to have a cool world to walk around and explore with you friends but I cain't even biggin to start on a BIG project like that. Also anthor thing is sure you and i maby a handfull of others may come to see it but they wouldn't stay long. If you don't have something to keep them amuzed for along time they will leave. Also to if you are focusing on the really good graphics then you need at really good computer to play it on due to the fact it needs to be real time renderd. That limits you potenial amount of ppl making it even worse. If you are really interested in this just cheack out planshift and look at how many ppl they have working on there project and the requirements to join that project. You will see that it is no small task. anyway I like that you am high like my self but try alot smaller steps first ok.

http://www.planeshift.it/

ndog
12-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Uhmm, this thread is over two years old since the last post.

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2005, 07:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.