PDA

View Full Version : ConceptArt.Org Event coming! id/Valve/Blizz/Bungie/Sega/Proj.Offset/Marvel/Oddworld..

jason manley
10-26-2007, 06:43 AM
http://www.conceptart.org/rev/image1.jpg

Internationally imitated, never duplicated--Massive Black Inc. and ConceptArt.Org are at it again. This time we are opening up the floodgates in Seattle this Jan. 4,5,6,7. There has never been an instructor list this unprecendented, put together for one of our workshops, or any other for that matter, in the history of the industry. Four days of creative training and inspiration, and one mind blowing party you won't ever forget, will leave you with enough information and ideas to make it all the way through 2008.

The ConceptArt.Org and Massive Black Inc. International Art and Design Workshop Instructors are:

Moby Francke- Concept Designer -Team Fortress- Valve Software
Lorne Lanning- Founder/CEO Oddworld
Kenneth Scott- Art Director - id software
Aaron Lemay- Art Director - Bungie
Daniel Dociu- Art Director- ArenaNet
Stephan Martiniere- Visual Director- Midway
Sparth- Senior Concept Artist - id software
J.E. Sawyer - Lead Designer- Obsidian Entertainment
Kolby Jukes- Senior 3d Artist- Freelance
Matt Charlesworth- Senior 3d Artist - Radical
Ian Joyner- Senior 3d Artist- Freelance
Khang Le- Senior Concept Artist- Project Offset
Marko Djurdjevic-Senior Concept Artist/Cover Illustrator- Marvel
El Coro- Senior Art DIrector Massive Black
Noxizmad-Senior Concept Artist-Massive Black
Aleksi-Freelance Concept Artist/Comics/RPG Illustrator
Jason Chan-Concept Artist-Massive Black
Dan Milligan- Storyboard Artist -300
Wes Burt-Senior Character Artist-Massive Black
Android-Visionary Artist-Massive Black/ConceptArt.Org
Todd Lockwood-RPG Illustrator
Pete Konig-Concept/Model/Texture/Animation/Sculpture Guru MB/Tippett Studio
Brom-Fine Artist/Illustrator
Michael Hussar-Fine Artist
Kevin Llewellyn-Fine Artist
Shawn Barber-Fine Artist/Illustrator
Jamie Jones-Concept Artist ArenaNet
Matthew Barrett-Concept Artist ArenaNet
Doug Williams-Senior Concept Artist-ArenaNet
SteakTron-Senior Concept Artist-Massive Black
Rich Doble-Senior Concept Artist-Massive Black
Nick Constantine-Senior Concept Artist-Massive Black
Sam Brown-Concept Artist-Massive Black
Carl Dobsky-Concept Artist/Fine Artist/Professor-Massive Black/CA Atelier
James Kei-Senior Concept Artist-Massive Black
Jason Manley-President Massive Black/ConceptArt.Org
Chris Hatala-Animation Director-Massive Black
Kevin Chen-Freelance Concept/Fine Artist/Figure Professor
Anthony Francisco- Lead Concept Artist-Project Offset
Marc Taro Holmes-Senior Concept Artist- Sega
Jason Felix- Senior Concept Artist/Animator Flagship Studios
The Black Frog - Senior Concept Artist/Art Director- Freelance
Mathias Verhasselt - Concept Artist - Blizzard Entertainment
Dorje Bellbrook- Concept Artist- Bungie
Isaac Hanaford- Concept Artist - Bungie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx TOP SECRET 3d TBA
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx TOP SECRET Design TBA
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Special Guest TBA

CGSociety's hosting our previous event (which had a flavor all of it's own) here: http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4003

You can find out more info on the upcoming show here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73 (including hotel info, location, tuition info, and the like...)

The workshop website will go live next week with the full program and all the info anyone needs to get out there.

And oh yeah...for those that sign up by Nov. 1. Massive Black is kind to be covering a hundred bucks of your tuition as part of it's sponsorship. Questions can be answered in the conceptart.org forums listed above, in the specific threads related to the questions you have. There is an FAQ up too.

Hope to see you all come January!!

I will update you guys on the rest of the instructors soon.

J

http://www.conceptart.org/rev/image2.jpg

erilaz
10-26-2007, 07:16 AM
I really wish I could go this year... the instructor list is mind-boggling.:argh:

jason manley
10-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Would have been great to see you again...Thanks for the kind words.

Oh..and we just added J.E. Sawyer, one of the top game designers in the biz....more to come.

J

RockinAkin
10-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Man, its soooo tempting to fly over this year... that is an amazing list of Instructors.

I'll have to keep a close watch on the wallet to see if I can make it.
Anyone got a grand burning a hole in their pocket they'd like to give me? :D

mv
10-26-2007, 07:05 PM
This will be an amazing event. I'm truely honoured to be able to be part of it!
Can't wait!

Rebeccak
10-26-2007, 07:12 PM
The instructor list looks great, all except for that guy Mathias V, he seems kind of shady ;) - hehe, registered a few days ago, can't wait.

Martin, come and bring Min. :)

mv
10-27-2007, 02:33 AM
btw Jason, you forgot Kenneth Scott in the list...

Rebecca Kimchi : no comment

KolbyJukes
10-27-2007, 02:34 AM
Amazing lineup, I'm definitely gonna be there.

mv
10-27-2007, 02:37 AM
Awesome Kolby ! looking forward to meeting you! - bring Ian with you please :) I'm gonna bug him anyway.

Rebeccak
10-27-2007, 02:43 AM
Hey, yeah, it will be nice to actually meet you Kolby this time round. :)

Matt, please, I'm American. I only eat beef.

erilaz
10-27-2007, 03:07 AM
Would have been great to see you again...Thanks for the kind words.

Oh..and we just added J.E. Sawyer, one of the top game designers in the biz....more to come.

J

I may yet be able to come (i'd give anything to pick Milligan's brain again!), but failing that there's always Shanghai...:)

jason manley
10-27-2007, 03:57 AM
You guys are funny....and yeah..Kenneth is on there now.

We now have Kolby Jukes helping head up the 3d portion of the show.

:)

J

jason manley
10-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Went another step further toward success and added the esteemed Ian Joyner and Matt Charlesworth to the demonstrating instructors list.

erilaz
10-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Went another step further toward success and added the esteemed Ian Joyner and Matt Charlesworth to the demonstrating instructors list.

At this rate, you're going to have to tack on another day, or run the workshops through the wee hours of the morning! :D

The workshop instructor thunderdome is going to go crazy this time.

darksensei
10-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Is there a deadline for registration or hypothetically could one show up in Seattle with 600$?

mv
10-27-2007, 12:10 PM
woot! Ian and Kolby :D awesome!

jason manley
10-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Is there a deadline for registration or hypothetically could one show up in Seattle with $?

Good question...We have been able to take a few at the door in the past, however, it is dependent on whether we are sold out or not. You can check in with me anytime over the next month or two. I am happy to help.

On another note, we are only allowing about 300 attendees in order to keep the student to instructor ratio to the level where you can actually have plenty of one on one input time with the pros you want to meet with. We are not a big faceless corporate event like some of the others. The attendee to instructor ratio ends up about 7:1 and given the amount of companies coming, it should end up about a 1:1 professional to student ratio. Let me put it this way, if this were a soccer game, other events are upper deck and at best right down near the bench. We are putting everyone on the field with many of the best in the biz.

Simply put, everyone will have a chance to play. There are power stations for laptops (those of you who work on laptops can bring em along, even if u do 3d) as instructors will be providing personal feedback for those who want to work along with the program. There are also tables for sketchbooks, drawing horses to do work from life, and the right people to help you with that stuff too. The thing is, that the way these shows go, often times artists just get the urge to create and so we are set up to encourage that. One never knows when inspiration hits, so bring your tools. We will provide the space, inspiration, motivation, and instruction.

Jason

fx81
10-27-2007, 04:32 PM
are you guys planning to record all the workshop sessions? it would make one amazing set of DVDs for sure!

jason manley
10-27-2007, 05:32 PM
are you guys planning to record all the workshop sessions? it would make one amazing set of DVDs for sure!

Not at this time. The whole point is to get people out of their home, office, school, or just away from the internet and dvd life and into the world for a bit. I know that not everyone can come, but right now the only thing we care about is making sure the real thing goes perfectly. We will record footage to do another video, like we have in the past and may record a demo or two along the way, I think the instructors are pressured enough, creating in front of hundreds of people.

j

Justame2002
10-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Great event indeed, didn't see my legendary name on the list though lol. Anyway, hope to see you guys there, take care..!

Jason Manley: Totally understand your point about the pressure on the artists presenting for a huge number of people, still think the dvd/demo idea of the event would be interesting though.

jason manley
10-28-2007, 02:09 AM
Here is some more info for those interested...

The event structure is built because of the four ways people learn. There is not a one person at a time kind of basic event. All instructors will be either setting example by making art or demonstrating in front of you or doing spoken presentations or acting as a mentor. Each one is doing something unique and valuable. The event is highly structured and at the same time, open enough for the creative chaos that often brings the most interesting parts of the show.

Here are the types of instruction:

1. organized spoken demonstrations/presentations.
2. support demonstrations (for example, during the character design presentation by Marko Djurdjevic, there would be guys like Wes Burt, noxizmad, James Kei, Coro Kaufman, Aleksi, Richard Doble etc..., in the same room, doing traditional and projected digital demonstrations simultaneously to support the ongoing discussion. This will all be in clear view for all to see, while the front lecture/demo is going on. We will show many ways of solving problems and creating because there is no one way to do things right. Certain people will find particular artists methods more identifiable. Support demonstrations happen simultaneously...and with a highly organized presentation at it's focus.
3. Mentoring/Hands on Instruction- A certain portion of the show is dedicated to a more classroom style experience. For example, during the head drawing class, there will be both traditional, digital, and 3d instructors on hand to go around to each person, one by one, and offer tips and tricks to improving their work.
4. Open demonstration. Some of the instructors work best and get the best results with no real reins holding them down. We have portions of the show which will allow the instructors, and the students, the ability to create according to their own emotions and inspirations. In Fine Art, this is the way the greatest works are created...art for art's sake. For students and professionals, this gives time for people to really make something they want to make, which none of us have enough time to do in this busy world. Some of my favorite pieces of art created at the workshops have been done during these times. Michael Hussar breaking out his oils and painting with William Whitaker, or Black Frog sitting down with Nox and Aleksi on their laptops, surrounded by students creating too....there will be something for everyone at the event.
5. Round Table Discussion and Moderator/Audience Q&A. This gives the participants a chance to pick the brains of multiple instructors simultaneously around a given set of topics and include visuals too.

Our structure is built this way because there are four types of learning experiences. We have to cater to all four as everyone learns differently.

1. Learning by hearing and questioning. ...check
2. Learning by seeing. ...check
3. Learning by hearing and seeing. ...check
4. Learning by doing. ...check

We want everyone to have an opportunity to learn many things, and find overwhelming inspiration. When the latter hits, we are also providing space for you to create, and pros there to assist in a multitude of areas to ensure it happens.

Best,

Jason

JakeJK
10-28-2007, 04:35 PM
This is an amazing line up. I really wanted to attend, but living on the other side of the planet makes it a bit hard, unfortunetly. :(..

Hopefully I will be able to attend these workshops in the near future :)!

CGmonkey
10-29-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm not missing this event ;)

See you all in Seattle.

bentllama
10-29-2007, 06:38 PM
i look forward to seeing you guys there.

jason manley
10-30-2007, 02:51 AM
just added two more talented gentlemen from Bungie!

Moby Francke- Concept Designer -Team Fortress- Valve Software
Lorne Lanning- Founder/CEO Oddworld
Kenneth Scott- Art Director - id software
Aaron Lemay- Art Director - Bungie
Daniel Dociu- Art Director- ArenaNet
Stephan Martiniere- Visual Director- Midway
Sparth- Senior Concept Artist - id software
J.E. Sawyer - Lead Designer- Obsidian Entertainment
Kolby Jukes- Senior 3d Artist- Freelance
Matt Charlesworth- Senior 3d Artist - Radical
Ian Joyner- Senior 3d Artist- Freelance
Khang Le- Senior Concept Artist- Project Offset
Marko Djurdjevic-Senior Concept Artist/Cover Illustrator- Marvel
El Coro- Senior Art DIrector Massive Black
Noxizmad-Senior Concept Artist-Massive Black
Aleksi-Freelance Concept Artist/Comics/RPG Illustrator
Jason Chan-Concept Artist-Massive Black
Dan Milligan- Storyboard Artist -300
Wes Burt-Senior Character Artist-Massive Black
Android-Visionary Artist-Massive Black/ConceptArt.Org
Todd Lockwood-RPG Illustrator
Pete Konig-Concept/Model/Texture/Animation/Sculpture Guru MB/Tippett Studio
Brom-Fine Artist/Illustrator
Michael Hussar-Fine Artist
Kevin Llewellyn-Fine Artist
Shawn Barber-Fine Artist/Illustrator
Jamie Jones-Concept Artist ArenaNet
Matthew Barrett-Concept Artist ArenaNet
Doug Williams-Senior Concept Artist-ArenaNet
SteakTron-Senior Concept Artist-Massive Black
Rich Doble-Senior Concept Artist-Massive Black
Nick Constantine-Senior Concept Artist-Massive Black
Sam Brown-Concept Artist-Massive Black
Carl Dobsky-Concept Artist/Fine Artist/Professor-Massive Black/CA Atelier
James Kei-Senior Concept Artist-Massive Black
Jason Manley-President Massive Black/ConceptArt.Org
Chris Hatala-Animation Director-Massive Black
Kevin Chen-Freelance Concept/Fine Artist/Figure Professor
Anthony Francisco- Lead Concept Artist-Project Offset
Marc Taro Holmes-Senior Concept Artist- Sega
Jason Felix- Senior Concept Artist/Animator Flagship Studios
The Black Frog - Senior Concept Artist/Art Director- Freelance
Mathias Verhasselt - Concept Artist - Blizzard Entertainment
Dorje Bellbrook- Concept Artist- Bungie
Isaac Hanaford- Concept Artist - Bungie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx TOP SECRET 3d TBA
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Special Guest TBA

To give you guys an idea of what to expect, Bungie is doing a presentation on bleeding edge concept to model to texture processes and an interesting presentation we are going to call "Environmental Design that catches your AI" and participate on in the design round table.

:)

More to come.

Jason

ghZaaaRK
10-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Mmmh Special guest?
I bet it will be Craig Mullins! who else? :)

jason manley
11-11-2007, 02:53 AM
added some image goodies for you guys...courtesy of Jason Chan. I think it is his best illustration to date. We are really lucky to have him with us and helping to make this event a great one.

More instructor updates to come...

Jason

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2007, 02:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.