PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a motionpath ribbon with scaling function

Big Piece of Chunk
10-25-2007, 10:37 PM
hello
Im wondering how to make a poly ribbon follow a curve. and in the end the ribbon scales down to ofrm a logo...

the effect Im after is like the ipod comercial where light trails is folowing the hands of acters. there is a nice tutorial on how to do it in after fx but how would u make it in maya.

What hapens is that the poly has to be long enough to almost fit the entire curve and when it reaches the end of the curve the poly scales down to about 1/10 of its lengths...

What Iv tried is to put the pivot at the start of the poly ribbon and when it reaches the name of the logo I scale it so the end catches up with the start therofr making it smaller .
what then happens is that the poly ribbon gets out of order and doesnt follow the curve I intedet for it from the beginning..

help needed or is there anouther way for creating this...

ashishdantu
10-26-2007, 10:35 AM
hi Big piece,

to make a ribbon flow along a curve, i have another approach than the motionpath method... first, have a look at this script > yjTrail ! (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/animation/yjtrail-3030.html?sheet=bg4)

now this is use ful in making things trail behind, with 'how many copies', 'how much time gap', etc settings.

So use this script to trail a curve (attached to motionpath) .. and then select these curves and hit loft. This will give you a ribbon which is like flowing along a curve and then it vanishes at the end of the animation.. now to make it not vanish , you can edit the trailing curves animation (they are baked) to suit your needs.

I had written a script which helps me do a trail based off an edge on a polyobject - something like swoosh trails at the end of a sword ! chk the attached file.

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2007, 10:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.