PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: John Lasseter on Pixar Past, Present and Future

RobertoOrtiz
10-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Rottentomatoes.com has an exclusive interview with John Lasseter where he talks in detail about Pixar.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ratatouille/news/1682430/

arctor
10-25-2007, 09:55 PM
cool...sounds like more stuff coming to RT from Pixar...

I wish someone would ask Lasseter or Bird about Jan Pinkava...
Bird is getting all the credit for Ratatouille (which is fine and deserved), but Pinkava has been completely ignored in evrything I've seen, heard, read about Ratatouille... just seems strange/weird and unlike Pixar.

beaker
10-26-2007, 03:41 AM
I'm sure it's a sore subject for him. Most people don't like to air their dirty laundry in public.

From what I heard from friends there, Jan had trouble making decisions and the project just wasn't moving. I'm sure the whole act of having to ask him to leave the project was pretty hard on everyone.

Slurry
10-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Is it just me or did that article reek of self-appreciation?

RhettAllen
10-26-2007, 10:56 PM
I like articles like this. It's cool to hear from the creators in their own words where it all came from and how it came about.

krispee
10-27-2007, 09:15 AM
yes, it was a little self-indulgant but if anyone has a right to that then Pixar does in my opinion, interesting interview but the better one was with Brad Bird talking about the same film.....brilliant film btw

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/ratatouille/news/1683760/

kris

RhettAllen
10-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Very cool. Another cool article that I suppose shows what happened with Pinkava. I'm suprised people can dislike this film so much.

fuss
10-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Self-indulgence? Hmm, maybe. Especially if you're a cynic. It's hard to say until you know him or talked to him in person.

However, I'd like to believe it's simply passion for what he does and the lack of false modesty, both of which I wholeheartedly welcome. There must be companies in the world where people make art because they LOVE it, and not (just) for the money (what was the line in Ratatouille, "Food always comes to those who love to cook"? :)). I'd like to believe it's his real feelings and not just marketing babble.

P.S. - Nevertheless, and on a slightly unrelated note: Mr. Lasseter, I really love Pixar's films, but if you ever again mess about with Miyazaki's movies, adding or changing dialogues, I'll personally hunt you down and bite your private parts off. With my teeth ;) :wavey: (okay, I guess there goes my chance on ever working for Pixar, but it had to be said ;)).

Imagus
10-29-2007, 03:28 PM
P.S. - Nevertheless, and on a slightly unrelated note: Mr. Lasseter, I really love Pixar's films, but if you ever again mess about with Miyazaki's movies, adding or changing dialogues, I'll personally hunt you down and bite your private parts off. With my teeth ;) :wavey: (okay, I guess there goes my chance on ever working for Pixar, but it had to be said ;)).For what it's worth, I remember reading, a while back, that Lasseter and Miyazaki-san are good friends, and that John works closely with him to ensure the spirit and intent of the films aren't lost when brought over. Given Lasseter and Pixar's dedication to story in their own films, this makes perfect sense.

I'm not sure which film you have in mind specifically, but with the possible exception of very early translations done by Disney (without John Lasseter), all Miyazaki films have supposedly remained true to their roots when brought over to the U.S.

Unfortunately, I'm not fluent in Japanese, so I can't comment directly on the 100% word-for-word accuracy of the translations, but I'm familiar with many of the issues with translating between Japanese and English. It's a tricky business.

robcat2075
10-30-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm sure it's a sore subject for him. Most people don't like to air their dirty laundry in public.

From what I heard from friends there, Jan had trouble making decisions and the project just wasn't moving. I'm sure the whole act of having to ask him to leave the project was pretty hard on everyone.

I've been at companies where just changing assigned parking spaces would cause a panic.

That had to be an awkward day when they changed directors.

Someday, maybe in 2057, when Disney is trying to sell us the Ultra-Ultimate XYZHD collector's edition of Ratatouille they'll put the Pinkava story reel on as an extra, kind of like they showed us deleted storyboard ideas for Incredibles.

That would be interesting to see. i might still be alive then.

robcat2075
10-30-2007, 12:02 AM

I've been at companies where just changing assigned parking spaces would cause a panic.

That had to be an awkward day when they changed directors.

Someday, maybe in 2057, when Disney is trying to sell us the Ultra-Ultimate XYZHD collector's edition of Ratatouille they'll put the Pinkava story reel on as an extra, kind of like they showed us deleted storyboard ideas for Incredibles.

That would be interesting to see.

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2007, 12:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.