PDA

View Full Version : Applying-for-Jobs-reel

kigosa
10-25-2007, 06:43 PM
hi everyone,

i just finished work on my demoreel. Most of the Images from my gallery are shown there within animation and breakdowns...

the only thing i didn't do at this reel was the music, wich was again from my good friend milan from frankfurt, germany.

i hope you like what you see. feel free to criticise anything you like or dont like.

there is a download right at the startscreen of my website (http://www.ikonia.de).

or if you dont want to visit my website but still want to watch the reel, here is a direct link (http://www.ikonia.de/anim/reel_oct07_srichter.wmv)

Fess1001
10-26-2007, 02:25 AM
Hi, i think you ve got a really kick ass reel, but i'd suggest posting some images from it here so people would be more inclined to watch it. My only neatpick regarding the reel itself would be the sparks that come off the blowing neon sign in the mouse trap scene look somewhat wierd, imo they shouldn't explode so much, but rather fall straight down.

Other than that i think it's awesome, looks very professional!

kigosa
10-26-2007, 06:26 AM
thanks for the advice with the preview images... totaly forgot those.

to the explosion... its not the neon sign itself that explodes, that would cause shards to fall down. it's more some capacitor that explodes. and because of the scale it looks sort of large, but its about 4-6 inch of radius... but i agree there should be some sparks falling down too.

http://ikonia.de/forumimg/reel_img_01.jpg

http://ikonia.de/forumimg/reel_img_02.jpg

http://ikonia.de/forumimg/reel_img_03.jpg

http://ikonia.de/forumimg/reel_img_04.jpg

http://ikonia.de/forumimg/reel_img_05.jpg

maantas
10-26-2007, 08:41 AM
hi there, i think your reel is cool.
couple of thoughts though.
its not my aprouch, but everyone around seems to be telling, be spesifick about where u apply, in this case as a very begining i was thinking its animation reel, then it become somth like fx, reel, dono.
but again, my reel is even more "diverse" :) so not for me to talk about it. else, it seems that your work is very good, but some of it is much better then other, or mightbe more impresive not necesarely bettter. like u have shot of technical rendering of opening of monitor, i thought its not that strong, i een its fine, but its not that complicated, so when u show monitor in wareframe getting its texture it looks much cooler, but again i dono how to make this effect, might be i am just intimidated by it...:)
also the very begining, the sphere in vereframe, then shaded, i think its a bit long... cos u are not showing anything.. i meen ok anticipation and all that, but i was looking at it and thinking, ok, the guy can make a sphere... very impressive, and even shade it, good good. ofcource i agree it was a nice "surprise" effect this spider walking out of sphere... first time i lookt it impresed me, or surpried.
side note, i am not convinced about his legs animation, its so fast i am not convinced he puts legs on ground and his weight center shifts... shit, dono how to explain, its just that it i get an impresion u animated legs separatly and then just animated body by moving it from frame0 to whatever.... i dono if there is any chance to understand what i am talking abut, ok just leave it :)
aha what else, the mech.. (the wooden stik u make fire with dono how to spell) the one with fire looks impresive, but what is that ever lasting explosion is sopose to be? on a mech before its burning?
if its a sparkle, i am not sure its very realistic (if thats a goul which looks like looking at fire on mech) and it lasts forever, i am not sure thats how it goes in real life :)
well just of couple of thoughts,
very nice indeed.and dont pay too much atention to my post :)
its very early in morning for me i cannot be sure what i am talking is a speach of "sober" man :) good night/day :)

musk
10-26-2007, 10:40 AM
There is a nice presentation from SIGGRAPH on Demoreels that tells you why it is important that you come right to the point. Unless you are applying for a real small shop it is essential that you specialize. And make it a habbit that your best pieces are up front cause a lot of the HR people only watch the first 30secs.
Follow the siggraph link in the forum and search for a presentation called DEMOREEL if they don't work neither do you

Silverwing
10-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey... I watched your reel and I enjoyed it a lot!
Nice idea coming from one dimension to the 2-dimensional
image and then to the 3D--- Really nice. This breakdowns
were great too... So many detaills were brought in the scene.

Thanks for sharing! Thumbs up!

kigosa
10-26-2007, 05:46 PM
thanks for the feedback everyone.

This is actually my first demoreel. i am completely self-trained sofar. Thats why my works spread across severall skillsets. I am focussing on Lighting and Compositing.

The first part, wich you sum up quite well silverwing, is simply an opener, like some jumping lamp. It shows the variety of thing i can do. from the basics in 2d, to 3d and animating...

to repeat myself. i am going for lighting and compositing.

should i do 2 versions, a 30 sec teaser and this 2 minute reel? i really wanted to show how i did the images, not just the images themself. 30 second doesn't seem much time when breaking 2 scenes down.

can you give me a link to this siggraph presentation on demoreel, i read already quite a lot on this subject.

epochapex
10-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Nice work! I really liked the presentation of it.

This is a novice question, but what method do you use to do transitions from wireframe images to the different lighting passes?

kigosa
10-27-2007, 03:23 PM
hi epochapex,

i rendered the images in several steps. first of, 8 to 9 steps with several active layers. after that i generated a wireframe texture, applied it to every object, and rendered just the objects that where added to the scene. afterwards it was simple linear blends with blurred edges and fade ins. i used after effects for this, but i guess any other compositing can do the same.

epochapex
10-27-2007, 04:11 PM
That's cool. I heard about a wireframe texture on highend3d.com

For some reason those techniques are elusive to me at the moment because I learned Eyeon Fusion instead of After Effects. If what you're saying is true then I can do the same with Fusion?

kigosa
10-29-2007, 07:00 AM
i rendered everything with 3ds max and/or mental ray. there is a checkbox in the material editor to make the texture a wire texture. then i used a self illuminated white and assigned it. well thats the whole magic with these wireframes. if there is another, more promising technique, please feel free to correct me.

epochapex
10-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info - I use Maya, so I'll have to research it. It must be interesting to be self-taught. My college glossed over stuff like this and I suppose we were expected to learn it on our own anyway. Well teachers are only human, but the educational institutions in my country are run like businesses.

CGTalk Moderation
10-29-2007, 05:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.