PDA

View Full Version : bit O.T.....bootcamp Q

STRAT
10-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi chaps, any bootcamp techies out there?

1) i can view pc directories on my C drive whilst in mac mode, but i cant write to them. can i change it so i can also write to them?

2) whilst in pc mode i cant even view things on my mac desk top or local drive. can this also be rectified?

thank you peepses :)

ooo
10-24-2007, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't know why that's not working for you. I can read and write to the PC C: when on Mac and also the other way around. Maybe check ownership (read/write) for the folder with the C: drive.

odo

rgwarren
10-24-2007, 03:54 PM
When you created your BootCamp Windows partition you needed to select FAT32 if you wanted read/write access of your Windows files from OSX. Even then you won't be able to see OSX files from Windows.

Check your Windows volume. I'll bet it's NTFS. However, even then you should be able to at least READ Windows files from OSX.

STRAT
10-24-2007, 04:01 PM
When you created your BootCamp Windows partition you needed to select FAT32 if you wanted read/write access of your Windows files from OSX. Even then you won't be able to see OSX files from Windows.

Check your Windows volume. I'll bet it's NTFS. However, even then you should be able to at least READ Windows files from OSX.

that's my EXACT situation. at least now i know. thanks fellers :)

NWoolridge
10-24-2007, 05:56 PM
that's my EXACT situation. at least now i know. thanks fellers :)

This is the unfortunate result of the proprietary nature of NTFS; it is not a publicly disclosed filesystem. There is the Mac FUSE project (which enables virtual filesystems on Mac OS X), will has a plugin that will allow you to read and write NTFS volumes on Mac OS X, but it is in beta, somewhat slow, and currently mostly for power users:

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

A somewhat easier approach to this is the GUI for Mac FUSE, called macfusion:

http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/08/mgorbach/MacFusionWeb/

On the PC side, you would have to install Macdrive:

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

Which will give you full read/write access to the HFS+ mac partition.

Nick

Continuumx
10-25-2007, 04:36 AM
I purchased Mac Drive, works great when I am boot into WinXP and need to read info from MAC side like now all my images/textures.

$49 bucks and worth it. Right now I am evaluating Parallels.

belushy
10-25-2007, 07:49 AM
in the new OS leopard it might work ? anybody?

macfuse was a very difficult to install and is under development
I wouldn't want my machine to crash on something

all this is based on 6 month old research maybe it change allready

so let me know

STRAT
10-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Right now I am evaluating Parallels.

great. can you report back when you have any substantial opinions? the ability to flip in and out between windows and mac os without rebooting sounds VERY appealing. i've been put off by reports of considerable performance penalties up until now, but i've yet to test it.

Navstar
10-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Keep in mind many things about Boot Camp will change tomorrow with the release of Leopard. Boot Camp is officially out of beta with 10.5. I believe one of the big changes is that your CAN write to Windows volumes when in Mac mode.

Kokosing
10-25-2007, 04:47 PM
VMware Fusion is bliss. If you've installed bootcamp, you won't need to reinstall windows. I've run Houdini Apprentice on it.

W

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2007, 04:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.