PDA

View Full Version : Demo reel. modeler

blastzone
10-24-2007, 11:31 AM
hey guys. id really appreciate some help on this.. i mean real hardcore words.. what is your oppinion of this? do you think the actual work in it is of a quality that i can get a first job? whats your advice.. i could really use it.

ok http://www.core3d.co.uk/demo/newreelguyan.mov click away.. just open the QT file

aesir
10-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Ok, critique time.

First off, NEVER show WIPs on a demo reel. EVER. It reflects badly on you.

Next, your work is all over the place. I can't tell what position you're applying for. Your demo reel should be tailored toward getting a specific job. In your reel you have high poly and low poly, texturing, and untextured models. I dont know if you want to be a game texture artist or a film modeler.

Your presentation, while simple (which is good) isn't that great. You let a model turn around once or twice then move on to the next one. Firstly that probably says you have too many pieces or lengthen it out. Secondly, we're so zoomed out we can't see any details (are there any details?). Thirdly I need to see your wireframes, ESPECIALLY if I were to hire you for a modeling job. I also want to see your texture flats for your textures and your poly counts for game art.

Next, your pieces:

1st piece: interesting concept. However it is very under-detailed. The feet are overly simple. Not even a secondary piece for toes. The texture is pretty much two flat colors with a noise map or somesuch thing.

2nd piece: This is from WH40k ovviously. You might want to give credit to the concept artist. I dont even know the ethics of showing this in a demo reel. Im sure you wont get in trouble but its still a tad odd to me. Modeling seems decent, but theres nothing horrible impressive either.

Dont render the crate on a black background. It makes the texture hard to see.

I already mentioned how you shouldn't have WIPs. THe cloth is coming along fairly well, although the sleeves dont have realistic folds. THe face doesn't seem anatomically accurate to me although its so small its hard to tell.

The tank is looking good. Its your strongest model. It still doesn't wow me though. If you want to take it to the next level, either take it into zbrush or mudbox, or add a displacement map to add all the small dents and scratches that make it realistic.

(I realize that was a pretty harsh critique. Check out some of the better demo reels in this section (Finished Animation) and sort the whole section by rating. YOu'l find some awesome reels. Look at their work and how they do things. You're definitely talented enough to get a job, but you need some pieces for your reel that are super polished and that will really wow people. Look at professional work. THats the level your work needs to be at to get a job.)

blastzone
10-24-2007, 01:59 PM
dont feel bad. its EXCACTLY what i wanted. im not sure whats going on with the face. its fine i assure you. but for some reason in that turntable it looks REALLY thin.. i think ill just drop the turntables thing. be a bit more creative with my camera. in stead of a turn table to some panning style shots so you get a better look at it.

also, the robot at the beginning was done for a freelance thing. should i put the concept art in with the reel to show that it was done to a specification.. a very EXACT specification.. it was for a short film dont for the british film institutes film festival on this week in london

Booyah
10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
I agree with everything aesir said. Also, plain model spins are boring, move the camera in and around your camera, have cuts that start at a detailed peice of the body and move around to another peice. Cuts are WAY too harsh between models, atleast add a cross dissolve or something, and you need more models in general. Good to see you have some lined up but get making more. I like the tank, your strongest peice. Keep going

CGTalk Moderation
10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.