PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Yzf-r1 Sportbike, Dangeruss (3D)

Dangeruss
04-11-2003, 01:24 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/4429/Yamaha_YZF_R_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/4429/Yamaha_YZF_R.jpg)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/4429/Yamaha_YZF_R.jpg

Larger view at Deviantart.com (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/1641777)

Taking a break from more serious (read tedious) work for some fun stuff.

This one started life as a purchased 3D asset from 3D02 (http://www.3d02.com) Certain components were not as detailed as I would have prefered, so portions of the model was rebuilt to a higher resolution.
New complex materials were created for the metals, carbon fiber, rubber and metallic paints. This image represents a custom 2003 Yamaha R1 as I would make changes to it.

*** Note *** Anyone that has a back issue of Britain's "Performance Bike" magazine that features the 2003 R1 and is willing to do some scanning, please leave me a note!

Shaykai
04-11-2003, 02:36 AM
sweet model, i'm suprised no one has replied to it. Great job.

Shaykai

digitalp1mp
04-11-2003, 03:00 AM
Damn...thats tight as hell....how did you go about making the CF?

Chris^

Peoples
04-11-2003, 10:20 AM
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Wow - very nice stuff. I'd render it with some hdri to get some realistic renders but the model looks awesome!! I just got the new Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 last week!!

Aristagon
04-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Looks very nice, not overly realistic, but that's not a bad thing. I'd say the only thing that caught my eye is that there seems to be some relief on the bodywork. Simply doesn't seem to be a smooth surface, not sure if this is correct or not. Also the first stripe on the right has some jaggies, but nothing to really worry about ")

Nice bike, nice colour, very nice work.

JackaL(px)
04-11-2003, 11:44 AM
wow :D

Airtwist!
04-11-2003, 12:34 PM
this is my favorite bike!
nice render man, really awesome!!!!!!!

:applause: :thumbsup: :wip: :beer: :buttrock: :p :drool: :cool:

HawVer
04-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Great work! :D Much more detail then the original one! Only the textures need some work to make it more realistic. You should try some raytrace materials.
Beautiful colours :thumbsup:

wayfaerer
04-11-2003, 01:31 PM
great rendering! Where did you take the asphalt texture from?

facial
04-11-2003, 01:56 PM
:D Well done, Dangeruss, :thumbsup:

veryferry
04-11-2003, 02:37 PM
almost perfect...the back of the bike, where the light are under, is a bit to boxy I guess.

hakkston
04-11-2003, 03:08 PM
OH BOY!
I love it... :drool:

draconix
04-11-2003, 04:01 PM
That's a cool model, and I love the textures :D

ToddD
04-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Looks very, very good! I think the speckle effect on the paint is a little large considering the viewing distance, and could be just a touch more reflective on the tank. Amazing attention to detail, just curious, why did you purchase a model at all? The render is a little dark above the bike, hard to really see the seats and mirrors. I'd like to see an HDR render as well, you should be proud, very nice piece!:thumbsup:

EDIT: I have an unfinished model of a previous generation R1 somewhere, I made it when I first started learning max, I'll have to dig it up =)

KINGOFPAIN
04-11-2003, 04:42 PM
:drool: yamaha....hmmmmmm:thumbsup:

Maya Ayanami
04-11-2003, 04:46 PM
very nice modeling.
it would look better with some hdr litting with radiosity and GI
Hey if you built a simple car garage(the really big ones for places like hotels) and a few pics for the outside and lit using radiosity.
just an Idea.
very nice modeling job. keep it up.

ZVAN
04-11-2003, 04:58 PM
CoOL.. modEL! loVE moTorCyclEs..:applause:

boxcrash
04-11-2003, 05:24 PM
I agree a little boxy in some areas.

But overall very nice, I had one of these bad boys when they first came out, I miss it and had to get rid of it along with many other toys, all I have now is a XR600R dirtbike, piped, jetted and hot ign.

These R1 bad boys will pull a third gear wheelie going downhill, without clutching. I hope to get another or a 998/999 Duck.:buttrock:

Screwball
04-11-2003, 06:11 PM
COOLL
NICE JOB MAN

shakii
04-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Maybe u would like to build the front lights instead of texturing them? They look pretty flat from this angle.... Nevertheless, GJ!

koinu
04-11-2003, 07:16 PM
HELMET,,,KEYS............ SWEET RIDE BROTHER

[DSmod]Tweak
04-11-2003, 07:52 PM
my friend has the same exact bike.. exact color and everything.. I love driving the beast. the r1 is a sweeeet cycle

Anyways great modeling job :thumbsup:

Konstruct
04-11-2003, 08:04 PM
deviant art can suck on my balls,- too SLoooowwww.:cool:

lildragon
04-12-2003, 12:19 AM
Looks very accurate to me, did you use blueprints for it? Especially dig the render but there's something odd with the inside chrome, seems the reflections are stretching? :curious: or is that just me?

Otherwise :thumbsup: Keep up the good work..

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Inspiring work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_apr03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

pascal_blanche
04-12-2003, 12:25 AM
sweet Russ, really sweet! Hey maybe there is some part of that cool bike you could re-use for ... hehehe (private joke ;) ):beer:

cyrano
04-12-2003, 08:34 PM
:buttrock: :bounce: awsome:that's a perfect model which will
be the best with some realistic rendering effects:thumbsup:

Naseem
04-13-2003, 02:36 PM
man i would give everything i have to get on this bike, what i still wonder how did u get the specs for this bike!! i searched every where :surprised :annoyed: :eek: :bounce:

Dangeruss
04-13-2003, 03:18 PM
Actually the Yamaha site has a wealth of resources. They have several pages of Wallpaper sized images that are very nice for getting the overal proportions right. Also, check out the accessories section of the website, There you'll find close-ups of various parts of the bike with custom accessories installed. There's several pages of them. Very valuable. Of course motorcycle magazines are good references as well. I'm also a motorcycle enthusiast so I'm familiar with the subject matter and it's easier to improvise stuff when required if you know basically what stuff does and looks like.

Remember I cheated quite a bit by using a commercially avalable model to base my recreation on. A lot of the proportional work was done and I remade individual parts to suit my quest for detail using the exisiting bits as a guide for sizing and placement.

You could do the same thing by loading images into viewports and building to match. Beyond the fairing and some frame portions, this is a "simple" modeling task. Most parts are modded primatives and simple polygon models.

Dangeruss
04-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Aaack! Lildragon! Just noticed the CGtalk award. Thanks!

Yes, there's something awry with the reflections, but I can't seem to get them to behave better. I'm playing with HDRI illumination and reflections (tricky stuff that). so maybe my results will be better.

Regarding the blueprints issue, No I actually remodeled an asset from 3D02.com, so I had a great foundation to start with.

Dangeruss
04-15-2003, 12:30 AM
After many suggestions to use HDRI for reflections and illumination, I gathered up some light probe images and output a bunch of test renders with different images and material settings.

I finally settled on the ubiquitous "beach probe" image from debevec.org as it looked the best to my eye. Changed quite a few materials to raytraced type or raytraced reflection maps and let the s...l...o...w renders begin.

So, better now? I prefer the reflections in the paint, carbon fiber, polished aluminum and chrome bits. but the overall illumination was still darker that I wanted. I Photoshopped it some to increase the contrast and brighten up the image some.

http://www.dangeruss-industries.com/YZF-R1-HDRI.jpg

JasonA
04-15-2003, 10:26 PM
thats an amazing bike model, and the HDRI lighting works really well for it. Ray traced textures definitely do it justice now :) sweet work man, look forward to your next project!

Naseem
04-15-2003, 11:02 PM
Sure is a very good model. But can it be rendered with illumination? It will be very assume results

raine
04-16-2003, 02:16 AM
Can you give me some tips on how you did your carbon fiber so nice. THanks... very nice image!

k r i p
04-29-2003, 06:12 AM
Great Modeling. I happen to ride a n R1 as well.

Gremlin
04-29-2003, 06:33 PM
Great modeling there, I really love sports bikes. :D
The only critique that I have for you, is maybe improve the lighting (the render quality, maybe be cliche and add some GI)
Cheers,
:beer:

cermit
04-30-2003, 01:01 PM
fantastic

cermit
04-30-2003, 01:01 PM
fantastic

Shamarin
06-23-2003, 10:43 PM
COOL modeling! but fron light no good!:thumbsup:

Phibber
09-24-2004, 04:21 PM
I own a 2003 R1_Limited Edition (Black with red flames) so I can really appreciate the likeness you have captured. Awsome job my favorate 3D model I've seen.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.