PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray material editor slowness

Steve Green
10-24-2007, 10:27 AM
I'd hoped this might have been one of the speedups in 2008, but using mental ray as the renderer for the material editor seems to be as slow as it was in 9.

Just navigating between some slots can take 3 seconds, which is really frustrating. The Arch_Env_Blur takes 5-6 seconds to pop up. I know I've got a large bitmap in the slot, and I would expect the first time to be slow, but this seems OTT.

I guess I could create proxies for the material editor, but it still seems sluggish with smaller maps as well - (although I would have thought the mat ed might automatically cache the bitmaps to a size that works well in a mat ed slot anyway) it just seems to be a general problem with mental ray and the material editor.

The alternative seems to be to use the Scanline for the MatEd, but then you are working blind.

Anyone else having this problem, and how do you work around it?

Thanks,

Steve

thorsten hartmann
10-24-2007, 10:58 AM
hi

Nodejoe can fix the speed problem. This node editor is very fast. I hope it come a version for 3dsmax2008 in the next time.

new Beta 0.862 ist aviable for download: http://www.nodejoe.com/beta_en.php

mfg
hot chip

Steve Green
10-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi Thorsten,

great - look forward to seeing it, I thought Max 9 plugins were compatible with 2008 - is NodeJoe the exception?

Thanks,

Steve

CGTalk Moderation
10-24-2007, 12:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.