PDA

View Full Version : difficulty with keyframing rotation

spartaneye
10-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been trying to really get the basics of blender in my spare time for a while now. One of the most frusterating issues I'm having seems very simple, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. When animating rotation, I seem to be unable to get more than a 360 degree turn out of an object... when I insert the first keyframe, then move the playhead (In the Timeline window) and rotate several thousand degrees, and then insert another keyframe, the object will just take the shortest rotation path to reach its new orientation (for instance, if I rotate something from 0 degrees to 300 degrees, it will spin backwards 60 degrees instead of forward 300, or if I rotate something forward 1,060 degrees, it will once again, just go backwards 340 degrees (check my math on that one, but I think you'll get my point)). Is there a different method of doing this, or a mode I have to be in to animate an object spinning wildly, or even just completely around?
- Doug

Aligorith
10-24-2007, 10:06 AM
You will need to insert rotation keyframes at regular intervals (i.e. about once every 179 degrees or so would be ok) to help Blender figure out how you want the rotation interpolated.

Aligorith

nebopolis
10-24-2007, 01:30 PM
The easiest way to do this is to insert a few rotation keyframes, go to the ipo curve editor panel, and select curve->extend mode->extrapolation.

CGTalk Moderation
10-24-2007, 01:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.