PDA

View Full Version : So is Mental Ray worth it?

spoondesigns
04-10-2003, 12:51 PM
So, as I've been working with mental ray, I've become increasingly impressed at its capabilities, but increasingly irritated at its limitations and workflow.

I'm trying to determine if the learning curve involved with it is worth the hassle. My question to y'all is: If I'm not using Final Gathering, Caustics, or any other radiosity-based or radiosity-esque rendering issues - is mental ray worth working with? Is it faster than Maya's Renderer?

THanks for your tips.

Spoon

Maya Ayanami
04-10-2003, 07:27 PM
ya I think that mental ray is better. the only thing that sucks is that you can not use maya's post processing rendering things like shader glow and paint fx.
I think is kinda like maxes default renderer and the brazil renderer. they did 2 renders exactly the same scene and settings but brazil did it in something like 7 sec. and max did it in something like 37 sec. damm.

I hope that the Mray in maya 5 will be able to do the things like PFX

Jozvex
04-11-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Maya Ayanami
I hope that the Mray in maya 5 will be able to do the things like PFX

It can! It can do PaintFX, software particles and SubD's.

jeremybirn
04-11-2003, 01:01 AM
MR is better at lots of relatively basic things like displacement mapping, motion blur, and depth mapped shadows. I don't think MR is much harder to get started with than the Maya renderer, even if it does go deeper in terms of the ways an advanced user could customize things. The Mental Ray For Maya connection with Maya 4.5 was a little awkward, but much of that seems to have been smoothed out in Maya 5.

-jeremy

Maya Ayanami
04-11-2003, 03:10 AM
well I guess that make a lot of sense that they would make the integration between Mray and maya better esspeically since now Mray comes with the standard pakage.

alexx
04-11-2003, 10:27 AM
well i think this poll is not really that perfect since one thing you still have to remember is:
you have to buy a lot of mental licenses for a renderfarm.. that one is really missing and is not to underestimate.

cheers

alexx

Maya Ayanami
04-18-2003, 03:10 AM
got a point there. and that many licences would make quite a large dent in your wallet

jeremybirn
04-20-2003, 09:58 AM
On the price thing, it's a mixed bag. If you're an individual who just uses individual computers and can't afford a renderfarm, then MR is free with Maya. Same goes if you're a game developer and just need to bake your shading and occlusion into texture maps.

If you're a big company who is buying lots of computers to render on, sometimes investing in a better renderer is a worthwhile investment. MR isn't free, but it costs less than some other renderers that a lot of companies buy. For a larger company, the cost of a MR license is less than what you spend every week or so on hiring the people who run it, so if it improves your work or extends what you can do in any way, it could be a smart investment. (I say "could be" because of course some companies find that the Maya renderer fits all of their needs, others need PRMan, and so on.)

-jeremy

Chappo
04-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Well......if mental ray was used in PANIC ROOM and i didn't see what was CG or REAL .... then i guess MR is good :)

Array
04-21-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by spoondesigns
So, as I've been working with mental ray, I've become increasingly impressed at its capabilities, but increasingly irritated at its limitations and workflow.

I'm trying to determine if the learning curve involved with it is worth the hassle. My question to y'all is: If I'm not using Final Gathering, Caustics, or any other radiosity-based or radiosity-esque rendering issues - is mental ray worth working with? Is it faster than Maya's Renderer?

THanks for your tips.

Spoon

Mentalray doesnt use radiosity. It uses photon maps to calculate diffuse reflections and caustics, but also gives the option to employ a method called (final) gathering which is a finite element algorithm similar to radiosity

jeremybirn
04-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Array
Mentalray doesnt use radiosity. It uses photon maps to calculate diffuse reflections and caustics, but also gives the option to employ a method called (final) gathering which is a finite element algorithm similar to radiosity

Final Gathering and Photon Mapped GI are both "similar to radiosity" in that they calculate diffuse-to-diffuse light transfer between surfaces. FG only calculates 1 light bounce, but photon mapped GI gives you multiple light bounces, more like what you would have expected from a radiosity program like Lightscape/Light. I'd FG and GI both at once if I were going for the highest quality (and could afford the render time...)

-jeremy

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.