PDA

View Full Version : HUGH a student short film

sylpaco
10-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi everybody.

Based on an apache Legend Hugh has been done by 4 students from french school ESMA (ESMA École Supérieure des Métiers Artistiques) (http://www.esma-montpellier.com/).

Official Website (http://www.hugh-lefilm.com/)

http://sylpaco.free.fr/v05/galeries/movies/06_medium.jpg

http://sylpaco.free.fr/v05/galeries/movies/05_medium.jpg

http://sylpaco.free.fr/v05/galeries/movies/10_medium.jpg

Pitch :
An old shaman was telling a story to 3 young children.
Ages ago, some human beings had big troubles because the sky was too low.
Birds could not fly and men were bended.
One day, small children decided to change things and attempted to raise the sky with stocks.

WATCH IT ON STAGE 6 DIVX :
with english subtitles :
http://sylpaco.free.fr/hugh/film_stage6_subtitle.html

without subtitles :
http://sylpaco.free.fr/hugh/film_stage6.html

WATCH IT WITH QUICKTIME :
without subtitles :
http://sylpaco.free.fr/hugh/film_quicktime.html

Credits :

MATHIEU NAVARRO
www.mathieu-navarro.com (http://www.mathieu-navarro.com/)
Facial rigging, Character animation, Character modeling (shaman), Character design, Lighting etc...

SYLVAIN NOUVEAU
www.sylvain-nouveau.com (http://www.sylvain-nouveau.com/)
2D animation, Fur, Rigging, Cloth, Texturing, Rendering, Compositing, Website etc...

AURORE TURBE
www.aurore-turbe.com (http://www.aurore-turbe.com/)
Set modeling / texturing,
Lighting, 2D animation etc...

FRANCOIS POMMIEZ
http://pommiez.francois.neuf.fr (http://pommiez.francois.neuf.fr/)
Character modeling (children), Character design, 2D animation etc...

I hope you like it !!! Crits and comments are very welcome.

Sylvain

ssebastienn
10-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey Sylvain!
I saw it! and it's very very good! You 4 have done a very poetic short film! :o)
See you soon my friend! :o)

Sebastien LABAN
www.sebastien-laban.com (http://www.sebastien-laban.com/)

grantmoore3d
10-20-2007, 02:59 AM
Wow... that was amazing! 5 Stars from me.... honestly, I can't think of anything to critisize. It was done very well, I liked the story and everything was put together really well.

I can only hope that my senior project can go as well as your project did.

How long did it take to make? Did you run into any major problems? I'm going to be doing an animation of roughly the same scale with a few other students, so any advice would be very helpful.

Again, great job, you should all be proud of your work!

moondew
10-20-2007, 09:28 AM
That was really incredible....
Beautifully done, congratulations to everyone involved

Oh and 5 stars without a doubt...

JulianKok
10-20-2007, 09:54 AM
This is awesome! Congratulations on finishing this project!
I like th storytelling, the treatment and the cinematoraphy!
The 2D part was good too!
Just a comment here is that the expression of the character can be better.

Cheers!

5 Stars for overall! :applause:

jwr38
10-20-2007, 11:31 AM
wow, I am very impressed. You guys have done a great job.

ahmedsheeraz
10-20-2007, 01:12 PM
very nice work. waitin 4 the making of :)

DeFi
10-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Great atmosphere and nice story. The style of the 2D part is very nice too. :thumbsup:

richardoud
10-20-2007, 04:41 PM
This is great.. amazing work you've done there! Keep up the good work..

RobertoOrtiz
10-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Wow Great work!

Plugged.
-R

TNTDigitalWorks
10-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Very great work! Good art design and good story! Congratulations! :applause:

HellBoy
10-20-2007, 06:16 PM
One word:

Breathtaking :thumbsup:

noizFACTORY
10-20-2007, 06:51 PM
like i said before, this piece is simply marvelous. withstands repeated viewing! (thanks for the updated sub titled version) :applause:

Gaudy
10-20-2007, 07:15 PM
This was just amazing
the way the shaman tells the story is so cool the mood on his voice is just perfect
loved the 2D animation.
you can feel the magic on those blue sparks .
the ending is just amazing
the way the shooting paning and camera travel is just pefect.

wish could see another tale narrated like this.

10 stars keep the good work

and my 1 critique would be about the skin texturing , felt it a little like plastic or if they where rubber dolls.

really you guys inspired me.

Kaidonni
10-20-2007, 07:24 PM
I say that this animation was excellent. Very appealing character design. I don't critique much on animation itself because I have no confidence in my opinion and I don't think I have anything good to say, but I have to say that I can be bothered by bad animation - and NOTHING bothered me in this :). So, job well done. :)

sys0ps
10-20-2007, 07:39 PM
really really well done, be very proud or yourselves.

Bryan

Tripple-I
10-20-2007, 11:12 PM
what kind of school is this? you guys look like youve been doing this since birth, very very very good job fella's.
Revel in it and keep up the good work!:applause::thumbsup:

DaddyMack
10-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks, that was fun:D

vvkonline
10-21-2007, 05:37 AM
quiet amazing, last shot was like wow.

KimLeow
10-21-2007, 07:28 AM
neat work guys...the art direction looks really good! the mood as well so magical.
how long did it took to complete it?

loocas
10-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Extraordinarily beautiful! :buttrock:

5* no doubt and a deep :bowdown:

Retere
10-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Amazing ! :eek:

Beautiful story, well done !!! :applause:

5*

ivanisavich
10-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Best student film I've ever seen, and probably one of the best ever made. INSANE!!!

RobertoOrtiz
10-21-2007, 02:44 PM
You guys HAVE TO submit this short for the SIGGRAPH film festival.

H3DCLIFF
10-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Awesome work! :buttrock:

Arrrgh4life
10-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Very very nice. Great animation and story. It's good to see it on stage6 too.

nemoo
10-21-2007, 04:01 PM
OMG that was the best short i have ever seen. so refreshing. so beautiful. you guys can be very proud of yourselfes!

TheRazorsEdge
10-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Amazing is unsuitable a word for your work! I hope to see more like it in the future.:thumbsup:

benytone
10-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Absolutely Nice 5* :thumbsup:

Lc
10-21-2007, 09:23 PM
bravo à vous 4, c'est du très bon niveau. J'ai beaucoup aimé ! félicitation pour votre diplome, vous l'avez bien mérité. J'ai hâte de voir votre making of sur le site :)

bravo et bonne continuation ;)

cyril

StefanStavrev
10-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Awesome short

Congrats

Zec
10-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Just wonderful.

b-lame
10-21-2007, 10:07 PM
a very good film. cant really think of anything to critisize. i especially liked the lighting. the warmth of that tent was palpable. and i didnt know bout that legend, liked that too.

JesseDavis
10-22-2007, 12:30 AM
It was a very pleasant and beautiful film. I really liked it a lot. Should probably once over the subtitles with spell checker and someone who speaks fluent english because you had some grammatical and spelling errors (Doubt, daddy, and a couple other words). Other than that, it was very nice. Fantastic job!

afternooncoffeeboy
10-22-2007, 12:30 AM
ohhh my god...this was soo wonderful. i rly hope to see mutch more from ya in future. big thanks for that amazing short!

efcos
10-22-2007, 03:04 AM
WOW... that's all i've got to say. WOW.

Morph106
10-22-2007, 04:43 AM
Breathtaking...truly, truly breathtaking.

That introduction featuring the adorned teepee wall is so vivid in it's detail. The DOP made it seem so cinematic in its presentation.

The character design of the little girl was compelling for me personally. Modelling, texturing and animation all culminated to produce a strong character in her.

I also adored the way you transitioned between scenes. This shows your professionalism and ability to produce exceptional work.

I gladly break the commandment of coveting work in this case, as your film is without words.

Far too envious to say any more...

MasterZap
10-22-2007, 07:25 AM
You guys HAVE TO submit this short for the SIGGRAPH fist festival.

That was exactly what I was going to say.

Fantastic work!

/Z

turner
10-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Nice animation and story but there are a few spelling mistakes.

:)

turner

Scob
10-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Great job guys !!
Decidement , l ESMA ce n est plus ce que c etait !!
Le niveau n arrete pas de monter !
(Gerard et toujours la ? ^^ , nan je deconne)

Bonne chance pour le futur , mais avec ce bagage ca devrait aller ! ^^

Keep it up !

Cheers

Jerome

kasana
10-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Awesome work. ***** :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Really really impressed. everything is just better thn best. Love the way of stroytelling and expression of the kids.
can you share some of pre production process. esp. we all ll be very happy if you tell how you reached to final script.......story must be somewht different as it now.
but can stop prasing you guys.........:applause::applause::applause:

PharCyde
10-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Great job to those who created this, I loved every bit of it. Great story telling elements combined with fantastic visuals. I could see this playing before a Pixar movie as a short film.

Vexona
10-22-2007, 05:43 PM
That was the best shortfilm I have ever seen period. Just amazing. the story, the overall look, the 2 different styles. Amazing.. Amazing... I mean wow.

y-art
10-22-2007, 08:22 PM
***** Stars
Bravo a vous 4!

Congrats :D

minkey
10-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Bravo! Nothing less than AMAZING!.....I'm truley speechless..... I mean what do you say about something that is breathtaking?

Booyah
10-22-2007, 09:49 PM
totally Great! I have a real short attention span when it comes to short films and when i saw it was like 7 minutes, I was like yea right, but it was awesome, had great story held my attention and i never got bored once. Congrats guys, you're going to find some awesome jobs wherever you go.

Youplaboum
10-23-2007, 01:40 AM
Hi killers ;)

WOW, what a nice film you did there, really pushed it to the top. It's not a student short film, it's a professionnal work, really. And I wondered how did you get Benoit Allemane's voice : this man is a very known doubling actor, I guess, I think I've already eared his voice in many many cinema movies, and in video games too. He fits perfectly to your film, you did a great choice on that point. You're very talented, and I wish you'll find a job where you'll be free to create other short films like that.

:bowdown::arteest::bowdown:

And of course 5 stars !

madm4tt
10-23-2007, 09:04 AM
The storytelling & the magic atmosphere that you creates are amazing, my compliments!

Bye

luketitley
10-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Possibly the best short film I've seen on here all year.

Braetzel
10-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Cool tout sa,

Great job indeed, the movie is interessting, well done for the animation, colour 's nice to watch too. Keep it up guys. Bon courage

Ajouz
10-23-2007, 03:35 PM
That was Awesome... I haven't seen such well crafted animation for a while, great job guys.

Likesyrup
10-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Absolutley Beautiful is all i can say superb work.

boomer3d
10-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Heya,

Well, I'd love to see this but the link seems to be broken. Is it me or are the servers overloaded? If the later, I might be able to mirror for a while if that helps.

Cheers,

Matt

sfox8
10-23-2007, 08:40 PM
The first thing I thought when this movie finished was "Pixar animation short." This is amazing. Best animation short I've ever seen. Even better than the Pixar ones if you ask me. Wonderful professional quality. This is definitely deserving of some kind of award or something. You really should enter it into a contest (Siggraph or something).

Nemo1975
10-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Just saw your film and it took my breath away. Great story, great animation and I LOVE the lighting & colors. The transition between styles is very appealing and smoothly done.
Someone mentioned you should send it to SIGGRAPH. I definitely agree.
Maybe you'll consider putting it out there on DVD too? I'm sure lots of us would like to order it. I surely will be ordering!
Great job!

stormfrog
10-23-2007, 11:07 PM
All I can say is, thanks!

It was very touching, the blend between 2D and 3D was most skillfully executed. I am impressed and more importantly, inspired :).

Peace mon.

Ismail
10-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Love it! :) Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece!:)

Djampa
10-24-2007, 04:56 PM
superb !

:applause:

Pro quality ! Wish it wins many awards !

Steelhelmet
10-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Very nice indeed. I understood most of it without subtitles. First I was like: "oh no... a storyteller" but you really made it visual. He could talk Indian and I would understand the main plot. Love it.

I really like the very end, splendid idea.

4 Stars, but scince its student work I'll give all I can give. 5 stars :) .

------------------ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET, DON'T READ ON! ---------------------

Even thoe I like how you go into the story, I think it would be smoother if you would have gone in like you went out of the story. Like, you could have set up the stars before, but slightly and subtile (ist that even a real word?), go into the the tent and then start where the short starts now. You introduce it earlier that way. It's not so much like here are the stars and this is what they mean. Even thoe i don't think someone will think of the stars meaning during the film, you should at least give him the chance to figure out. The effect on the viewer will be more intense.

I watched the movie over and over and made thoughts about it because I like it, so please don't be offended by my personal critic. That movie really blew me away. Awesome. Thanks a lot.

batbrain
10-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Wow! Nice job. :bounce:

TerianSilva
10-24-2007, 07:53 PM
You did a great job. I am very impressed.

muslemwazer
10-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Can u post a dOwnload link !?

sylpaco
10-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Hi everyone ,
Thank you so much for all your congratulations, i'm so flattered and touched that major artists as you are give me advices and criticize our short film.
For your information, HUGH will be presented soon in all the important animation film festivals, as the SIGGRAPH.
I am a little bit overstepped by all this, i was not thinking HUGH will be enjoyed insomuch.
Thank you very much again

Sylvain and the other HUGH Team members.

www.sylvain-nouveau.com (http://www.sylvain-nouveau.com)

Voigtlander
10-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Excellent work and great storytelling. A captivating short. Beautiful look to the lighting and atmosphere. The fact that it is a student work is truly stunning. One of the best animated works I have seen in quite a while. Congrats! 5stars.

I would love to see a making of.

jackieliao
10-26-2007, 02:58 PM
very nice work! I am impressed! you guys merged 2D and 3D animation so well and the storytelling is awesome!! I really enjoy it! good job!:thumbsup:

ahmedsheeraz
10-26-2007, 08:27 PM
gr8 work. can u plz arrange a downloadable quicktime link as I hv a little slow connection to watch it online. plz do it. waiting for the "making of" section also :)

LucasMartell
10-29-2007, 06:00 AM
A true inspiration. Everything works together really well and I didn't even pay attention to the detail stuff that usually distracts me. I was able to just watch it and enjoy it which is exceptionally rare in student films. Tres bien!

muslemwazer
10-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Give Us some maKing sYlpacO pleeeease !

waiting .....

tomaya
11-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Brillant et poetique , Bravo !

pablotesta
11-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Amazing proyect! really love the 3d and 2d style, the characters, the sound, the story...

Great work! Thanks for sharing!

yolao
11-02-2007, 03:55 AM
amazing and beautiful work!!....

sefelislam
11-11-2007, 10:46 PM
when you watch something like this you don't have to say anything but wow

shlee31
11-13-2007, 05:20 AM
Wow..everything is well done in this film.
It is Amazing.
I can not but give 5 stars.

Cheers

Topspin
11-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Congratulations for your short! With the amount of work in it you did a great job, like said before, the story is very smart and kind, and the atmosphere really nice!!
Respect et bravo à vous!

Bonne continuation!

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2007, 06:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.