PDA

View Full Version : PIPELINE: Maya to Lightwave TOOLS

Julez4001
10-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Just to stay on top of the subject.

What are the ways that you can get aniamtion and mesh information out of Maya and into Lightwave?\\

POINTIVEN is effective.

Maya2LW

FBX

anymore?

Tama
10-19-2007, 02:38 PM
The Beaver Project

Julez4001
10-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Whats the status of the Beaver Project?
Has it been upgraded with the current versions of Lightwave and Maya?

Website
http://www.thebeaverproject.com/

says 2004.... :-(

MikeBuckland
10-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I think I read somewhere that Menithings is using it for their film "Terra".

Grgeon
10-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Anyone know if it's possible to transfer more than animation data from maya to lw? ie. textures, shader setups, light setups ? Basically, is it possible to do everything in maya and use lw as my renderer? Or does the texturing/shaders/lighting need to be done in lw?

Thanks,
George

P.S. I believe fbx format is an option too right?

Cageman
10-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Anyone know if it's possible to transfer more than animation data from maya to lw? ie. textures, shader setups, light setups ? Basically, is it possible to do everything in maya and use lw as my renderer? Or does the texturing/shaders/lighting need to be done in lw?

Simple answer: No

P.S. I believe fbx format is an option too right?

Yes, but only for objects/animation.

aeres
10-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I have used Maya2LW once, but I can't seem to exchange matching camera settings between the two apps (FOV, zoom, focal length etc.). Is it possible at all?

Cageman
10-20-2007, 02:27 PM
I have used Maya2LW once, but I can't seem to exchange matching camera settings between the two apps (FOV, zoom, focal length etc.). Is it possible at all?

Are you using the old Maya2LW or are you using Maya2LW2? (huge difference between the two). If you are using the latest version of Maya2LW2 but still have problems, try this:
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/utility_external/export/4768.html

It has saved my butt a couple of times...

aeres
10-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Are you using the old Maya2LW or are you using Maya2LW2? (huge difference between the two). If you are using the latest version of Maya2LW2 but still have problems, try this:
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/utility_external/export/4768.html

It has saved my butt a couple of times...

Woot! Thanks for the tip Cageman, I didn't know there was a version [2] :blush:

Megalodon
10-21-2007, 06:01 AM
I'm not sure, but doesn't Polytrans convert Maya FBX to LW FBX with all materials, skeleton data, etc. intact?

stooch
10-21-2007, 11:30 PM
yep menithings is using beaver project mdd sequences. however its a pain in the ass to keep the point order the same if using morphs in LW. works pretty good, since you can manage the display of a few mdd loaders easy. all texturing and lighting must be done in LW which is all good. UVs do get transferred. not sure how dedicated the developer is to keep supporting this format though (beaver project that is). but modo is doing it as well now too so it seems to have potential. though lacks the hair.

Julez4001
10-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Hey Stooch.
Did you guys model in Lightwave before and convert them into a .obj format for Maya or imported directly through Beaver.

I heard Modo does a good job of spitting morph tragets as blendshapes but could you explain your "pain inthe ass"ness with morphs in your pipeline?

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2007, 03:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.