PDA

View Full Version : Change Low poly Char to High Poly

dangomes
10-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Hello, i have a character model taht i want to animate (try animate ;)) but the poly's are a bit to high for a good workflow, so i made a low poly version with some primitives with the same skeleton has the high poly.

Both the models have the same skeleton/rig, my question is, since i animate the low poly version, know how can i "move" the low poly skeleton animation to my High poly char?

Thanks in advance

shinyprem
10-19-2007, 05:41 AM
Hi
Transfer the animation using dkAnim(Use animation transfer script) to the hi-rez rig. Or wrap the Hi-Rez mesh to the Lo-Rez mesh and toggle between them.

Rgds,

refract
10-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Just curious, what is the advantage (since i have not used it) of using dkAnim over just making a solid bound mesh to the main rig and adding it to a separate layer?
Basically breaking up the main mesh and making it low poly duplicate, and rebinding?
I saw a script on Highend3d that does this automatically, but not sure how useful it is.

Also, does the dkAnim use the fbx exporter? .. or just name transfer.. And does it work with nameSpaces if I've used references?.. Sorry.. just a few questions for shinyPrem.
(i tried to download dkAnim and look at the .mel, but this computer i cannot)

thks

JamSession
10-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Using an animation transfer script is way over kill unless you are doing muscle simulation or exporting out to a real-time engine.

The best solution is to add an attribute on the main controller (the one that will position the character in the scene) called hi2lo with as a boolean. Just do a simple set driven key that changes the visibilty of the hi res mesh to 0 and the lo res mesh to 1, then vise versa.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2007, 07:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.