PDA

View Full Version : CPU underclocking.

Stejahen
04-10-2003, 05:02 AM
Hey I've posted here several times with problems, and I think we narrowed it down to a bad power sup. I haven't gotten one yet but I have found that to prevent the frequent crashes I can set my bios up so it thinks I have 1250 mzh instead of 1666mzh or something (I have an athlon 2000). I've noticed I have a whole lot less crashing this way, like 8% as much as I used to.
Is this ok to do? I'm not messing anything up am I?

elvis
04-10-2003, 05:06 AM
underclocking shouldn't hurt anything in your system (other than performance). be wary of AGP/PCI deviders and the like if you have them set automatically, otherwise there's no risk.

stephen2002
04-10-2003, 04:38 PM
I have a friends who's Athlon overheats if it isn't underclocked. Granted it's probably because he messed something up when attaching the monster heatsink/fan unit he has on the thing.

GregHess
04-10-2003, 06:11 PM
Underclocking is just a fix to a problem which needs to be addressed. Kind of like slappin on some duct tape to hold the front fender on.

It tends to lower the power output of the processor, reducing heat, and voltage draw. It also slows down the memory/FSB system, eliminating variables there.

Remember the "average" athlon psu recommendation is usually a minimum of 300 watts, hopefully an antec, or other high quality manufacture.

With the latest XP's I'd easily push the general level to 330-350 watts. With those who have a rediculous # of drives/bays/cards considering even higher wattages.

Remember to always run www.memtest86.com on each dimm in the system if your experiencing crashes/lockups. It helps eliminate the memory as a possible variable in the equation.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.