PDA

View Full Version : Business Week :Challenging Pixar from China(Imagi)

RobertoOrtiz
10-17-2007, 06:58 AM
Business Weekis running an article about upstart studio Imagi.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/oct2007/gb20071015_727073.htm

JoshBowman
10-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Read an interesting quote this week which went along the lines of "If you are always looking at what your competitors are doing and try to create a better product than them you'll always be playing catchup"
I don't know if this is the guys intention but there really isn't any point challenging Pixar. They're just doing their thing and doing it very well which is why everyone likes to try and compare their work to them, which usually means that it's a poorly done copy.

jason manley
10-17-2007, 12:48 PM
There is a talent pool difference between the two companies. Most of it having to do with experience, skill development, and the fact that pixar has multiple genius' in key areas of the company. I don't doubt that decent work can be done in China, as I see quality stuff happening with my own eyes daily...it is just a little early to think any sort of challenge there is going to happen. The brand development of pixar has also been key to it's success. Every kid on the planet (just bout) knows who pixar is...as do their mothers, who make the decision about where that money goes. No chinese, indian, or any other developing country will step up and challenge that right now. The only way that will happen is if Pixar blows their brand with multiple low quality releases, and does anyone see that happening? I don't.

I do wish these guys luck though...if they succeed, it is a sign of a healthy industry, which many around here need to keep our livelyhoods moving forward.

j

leigh
10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
What the article seems to overlook is the fact that the quality of the animation is only part of a successful feature - the film has to have a good story to impress and entertain viewers. Pixar have consistently produced films with solid direction and storytelling, and I daresay that's the foremost reason for their continued success.

SpaceRabbit
10-17-2007, 04:38 PM
I absolutely agree with Leigh on this one. Solid story telling and character development is what has earned Pixar thier crown which they rightfully deserve. No other CG house in my opinion has stepped up and delivered films that offer the same level of story telling. In the end, film is about telling a story that captivates and transports the audience into it's world for 90 minutes.

Flog
10-17-2007, 05:59 PM
The relatively steep decline in TMNT's first month revenue suggests there are some quality trade-offs" to producing in Hong Kong rather than Hollywood, Goldman Sachs
Quality tradeoff? Wuh? This has really nothing to do with it at this point since the visual quality of Ninja Turtles was pretty good.

It is the content of the story that sets Pixar apart combined with visuals. But if the visuals of a Pixar film equalled that of Imagi's people would still go see Pixar films.

Ninja Turtles was what it was. It wasn't that deep and was more of an action film. Pixar has that magic quality that takes things a little deeper and makes more people want to watch.

When Ninja Turtles opened up the first weekend the people who liked Ninja Turtles were going to be the ones to see it, the prebuilt in audience. Past that there was nothing for them to tell friends to go and see it. Thus the quick decline in box office mojo. It was what it was. A movie for Turtles fans and that's really who you were going to get to go. New Turtles fans and the old school ones who were curious and nostaligic

On a Pixar film there is really no prebuilt audience other than families. Those families go and tell folks how great the movie was and then those families go and so forth. Pixar has wide apeal.

I don't think that Imagi and Pixar are really competitors. They create 3d films but they are a totally differant subject matter.

I'm just glad Pixar and Imagi are not the standard talking animal caper formulas.

Venkman
10-22-2007, 09:31 PM
TMNT performed better than estimates and made its budget back in the opening weekend. that's not too shabby! Plus, isn't this studio doing Gatchaman (a.k.a. Battle of the Planets)? I think that there is one thing they are bringing to the table, and that is the different subject matter from American movies.

Although it felt kind of odd the first time I saw an Imagi film: me, my co-worker and brother in a theater packed full of 9 year olds watching the turtles.

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2007, 09:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.