PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Dearest

proton
10-17-2007, 05:59 AM
Zombie Dearest Animated Short

The wait is finally over! Click below to see the first episode of Tofu starring in “Zombie Dearest”.

http://www.tofutheveganzombie.com/movie

you can watch it on You Tube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vct2yoZNg

**Dont forget to vote and if you really like it save it to your favorites**

rickycox
10-17-2007, 06:39 AM
Wow insane quality. I loved the title sequence. Also great concept also for a character, he could do a cameo on Angel. This is the best one you've done so far. Five stars from me. :applause:

leonar3d
10-17-2007, 04:51 PM
very well done ! Especially the first-person sequences, and of course the opening sequence! It remainds me a little on shining. congrats!:thumbsup:

nickolasstevens
10-20-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm alway amazed every time I see it. It was a great project to work on and the finished product is even more amazing. Congrats to all my fellow artists.

Stankluv
10-22-2007, 06:45 AM
Working on Tofu rocked. I would love to see more of that little guy elsewhere.

Even if he is an old-school-pansie-slow-"bash him around the head a bit" zombie. 28 Days Later Tofu (free pun) would rock.

...cute zombies...come on.

guitarmunkee
10-23-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm still singing the opening song hahah. Great work you guys. I can't wait to see more!:applause:

batbrain
10-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Nice Peter Lorre caricature. :applause:

The end with the chicken leg stuck in the mother zombie's funnel collar is funny.

Nice work! :cool:

proton
10-24-2007, 03:08 PM
I thought the dog chew guard would be a nice touch :)

Slythis
10-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Genius! FANTASTIC! I love it, great concept, great feel. The title sequence rocks.

HenningK
10-25-2007, 05:55 AM
Im sorry... really nice-looking and all, but I don't like any of the characters. Did I miss some exposition? I was interested in the concept of a vegan zombie, but it seems like he just wanders through someone ELSE's story in this one.
Zombie animation was pretty nice, but the living characters could use some love.

Balgosa
10-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Final product came out awesome, good work!

HenningK, I think this is just episode 2 basically as episode 1 is the backstory which is written on tofutheveganzombie.com and was to introduce all the other characters.

BookMansBlues
10-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Im sorry... really nice-looking and all, but I don't like any of the characters. Did I miss some exposition? I was interested in the concept of a vegan zombie, but it seems like he just wanders through someone ELSE's story in this one.
Zombie animation was pretty nice, but the living characters could use some love.

Exposition is the work of the Devil :P

seriously though, I think you kinda missed the point of the whole thing, they way I heard it described this was supposed to be a "random episode" not an origin story. So yeah there wouldn't be any extra exposition. Not that I think it needs it I allways completley understood what was going on and why. Maybe thats because I was around during the devolopment of the story and read a few drafts of the script before it was finalized, and william being as excited about Tofu as he likes to talk about it which is cool because I think that helped to motive the people around him which Is why the project came out so well.

Also realize that there are some serious running time constraintes on these projects, and that extra exposition (IMHO) just detracts from the story William was trying to tell. If this was a full lenth episode then yeah a lot of that would have been in there. In the end there was only about 3 months to compile the project from nearly scratch and almost all the artists involved had only been using the software we used for 6 months or less when they started working on it. So not too shabbey at all if you ask me.

proton
10-25-2007, 07:49 PM
This episode allowed us to explore many of the characters in the world of Tofu without having to have the focus be 100% on Tofu. The intro (theme song) helps tell a bit of the back story of Tofu so that from episode to episode anyone just jumping in will get the basic idea.

This episode really tells the origin story of Fiona, the mother/wife of the family. She plays a role in future episodes but this episode was her introduction.

You can get a bit more of the story behind Tofu on the official site in the about section here:
http://www.tofutheveganzombie.com/about

and this is a link to the birth of Tofu as seen in the teaser comic:
http://www.tofutheveganzombie.com/birth

Dont forget to play some of the games here:
http://www.tofutheveganzombie.com/lab/1.lab/1

my favorite game has to be this one:
http://www.tofutheveganzombie.com/lab.page/page.28/display.html

Thanx for the interest and I hope to hear more people's thought on the short. The team worked very hard to bring it to life in a short amount of time and I'm extremely impressed with their work.

It's cool that several of them aare already working in the industry on some cool projects!

RobertoOrtiz
10-25-2007, 10:35 PM
This is a neat animation.

This will be a great Halloween treat for the forum.

I do have some minor issues with the animation of the human characters
(Specifically the dad who looks like Peter Lorre?)
And the pitch of the girl's voice..

BUT the story is very cute and overall is a fine piece of animation.

Looking forward to more episodes.

Plugged.

_R

minkey
10-25-2007, 10:59 PM
hahahahah that was awesome! great site by the way too a lot of cool stuff on there =P I want to buy one of them little tufu dude to put on my desk....

KHALID
10-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Proton...
I dont have to say this again.. Just amazing fun to watch.. you guys have created an amazin peice of work...!!!
jusy JOy..
6 stars fro me ******

williamsburroughs
10-26-2007, 01:35 AM
Any animated short that has a monkey which causes chaos is good in my book. :)

Nice work on the short...the game is actually quite nice as well.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Eeek Eeek!!

DaddyMack
10-26-2007, 02:52 AM
That was cool! Thanks for sharing

derekserra
10-26-2007, 05:28 AM
I do have some minor issues
<snip>
And the pitch of the girl's voice..

BUT the story is very cute and overall is a fine piece of animation.

Looking forward to more episodes.

Plugged.

_R

Thanks for the plug, Roberto. It's very cool to see Tofu on the front page of CGTalk. I can't wait to see more episodes.

Addy's voice was done by Ellen Muth from "Dead Like Me". I've heard a couple other people complain about her voice being used for a teenage girl, but I think it's sexy. :)

toonafish
10-26-2007, 08:33 AM
I really like the Tofu zomby concept, it's a great idea and lots of respect for pulling this off.

The intro is great, but to be honest, the animation of the characters needs much more attention. Especially the way the hands are animated is some scenes is very distracting. Sometimes it looks like they are not animated at all and just stick at the default pose. And on some characters they are a bit too big I think, especially on the daughter.
Also, you might want to take a look at the dynamics of the daughters hair and the tofu. Especialy the dynamics in the hair are distracting, I think it would look better without dynamics at all.

But regarding what the rest of the CG community has to say it seems I'm way to critical:D

Djampa
10-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Totally cool ! Thanks for sharing.

I think it has a nice selling potential for many episodes. Any plans for future you can share ?

Its hard to get a final piece like that, congratulations to all the team !

Good luck !

daviddrbal
10-26-2007, 01:51 PM
I like the intro. The mood isnt bad too. I havent enjoy the animation. I never say all has to be done in Pixar perfection but anyway the animation is very poor by my opinion. They all move too slow/sleepy, no extra attitude are show in characters. They all move quite same and I dont see any characterization in their move and facial expression. Only what makes them different is a look but not how they acting. I think with better animation it would looks great but right now it doesnt stand out.

Anyway, its good u started, and I believe you have learn on this project lots of stuff and will improve later.

proton
10-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanx for the feedback guys!

I'm impressed with the quality of the work this team pulled off. To think that they only had 9 months of training to pull off 8 minutes in under 3 months time is crazy when you think about it.

with only 2 months of animation instruction before working on the project I'm impressed with the work here....Imagine where they will be in 6 months....12 months...etc.

I wish my work looked this good within the first year of working in 3D.

BenM08
10-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I saw them making this short when I visited DAVE school in early September great to see the finished version.

bobakabob
10-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Loved it... a quality production. Hats off to everyone involved. I addition to the great characters animation and camerawork what stood out to me especially were the beautifully painted textures and lighting.

Wilson-3d
10-26-2007, 03:03 PM
I think it is great. It is so original! Really hard to come up with stuff like this - where no one can say - that reminds me of...

I would love to see more.

nickolasstevens
10-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Also, you might want to take a look at the dynamics of the daughters hair and the tofu. Especialy the dynamics in the hair are distracting, I think it would look better without dynamics at all.

All the animation on the hair and tofu block was handkeyed. We felt this added a lot to the animatioin. With more training and more time perhaps we would have felt differently, I feel the film turned out very well. Hopefully future projects the team works on will have more and more polish.

proton
10-26-2007, 05:40 PM
All the animation on the hair and tofu block was handkeyed. We felt this added a lot to the animatioin. With more training and more time perhaps we would have felt differently, I feel the film turned out very well. Hopefully future projects the team works on will have more and more polish.

I heard we might be seeingyour next work on TV soon....any details you can give us?

Tad Ghostal
10-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Awesome - definatley and origianl idea.

EXOSOUL
10-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Loved the movie! Very well done, and very original. I really can't wait to see more episodes of this. Can't believe this whole thing was done in approx. 3 months!, and by students ( starting pro's )!!!

Slurry
10-26-2007, 07:27 PM
I love the intro.

batbrain
10-26-2007, 08:51 PM
William,

I am assuming that quite a bit of this film was done by students at the school you work for. It IS really impressive that they were able to learn that quickly and then complete the work in 3 months. Did you model most of the characters? Some of them have that signature Proton look to them. :)

Brian

proton
10-26-2007, 09:02 PM
William,

I am assuming that quite a bit of this film was done by students at the school you work for. It IS really impressive that they were able to learn that quickly and then complete the work in 3 months. Did you model most of the characters? Some of them have that signature Proton look to them. :)

Brian

Thanx for the kind words...I'll pass them on to the team!

Tofu and Monkey were already modeled but the rest is student work....we wanted all the characters to fit the same style which is probably why they have that look :)

batbrain
10-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Wow. Well I'm impressed.

BTW, I worked with you briefly years ago on a video game (whose name I won't mention - but it had to do with airplanes :D ). Haven't spoke with you since...glad to see you are doing well and passing your knowledge on to up and coming artists. Keep up the great work.

nickolasstevens
10-26-2007, 10:44 PM
I heard we might be seeingyour next work on TV soon....any details you can give us?

We're worknig on a '300' style show we hope gets greenlighted soon. Can't say too much more than that right now, but everyone involved is pretty optimistic.

proton
10-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Wow. Well I'm impressed.

BTW, I worked with you briefly years ago on a video game (whose name I won't mention - but it had to do with airplanes :D ). Haven't spoke with you since...glad to see you are doing well and passing your knowledge on to up and coming artists. Keep up the great work.

Ouch...I had wiped that completely from my memory :P

Would love to hear what you've been up to.

batbrain
10-26-2007, 11:49 PM
:scream: Sorry.

Yes, I tried to do the same...but one must stumble and learn from that stumbling to successfully run...or something like that.
Anyhow my site is http://www.bat-brain.com/
Email : dbrianweber@earthlink.net (http://forums.cgsociety.org/dbrianweber@earthlink.net)
If you want, send me your email. I'd love to chat a little.

KahlanAmnell
10-27-2007, 01:45 AM
haha that was great.

I have not laughed that hard in some time. Great work.

Truely inspirational

firstsingle
10-27-2007, 05:52 AM
That was Insane man! Go for a TV series guys.

Kid-Mesh
10-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Animation aside I really thought that the overall look of the film was top quality. Lighting, rendering and texturing fit the mood of the short nicely. The characters are insanely cute as well.

Considering the variables involved such as it being a student production, timeframe alloted and the amount of training given. I could be nothing more but impressed. Sure, the animation may not be Pixar quality but nonetheless I'm looking at the overall body of work. From the looks of it I'm sure there were a lot of sleepless nights too :).

Congrats on getting it completed as those involved can only get better from here.
Appreciate the effort. Nice job guys :wavey:

proton
10-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Big thanx!

I'll pass the comments on...much appreciated!

vishalk2000
10-29-2007, 11:21 AM
hi

great work goahead....zoooooooooooooom.........

freshdb
10-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Great job to all involved! The lighting and texturing are really impressive.

Mobious
10-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Wow... Its amazing how much the quality of work coming out of there has evolved over the last few shorts. You guys are really creating some amazing work. As some have said, the animation may not be something you'd see in a high budget feature film... But from students, what more could you expect? Honestly, I think most would expect a lot less when they know all the circumstances of the short program and time constraints. Which just goes to show how much is really being accomplished.

I've been a little lost in my thoughts about what to do in the future and where to go to school, but seeing things like this are making that decision much easier... :)

Keep up the great work! Cant wait to see whats next

pritishd
10-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Nice job man.....so how big was the team? And how was it divided? ie how many animator, how many modellers?

nickolasstevens
10-29-2007, 11:42 PM
A little about the production was featured earlier today on NVIDIA's website.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/students_dave_success.html

RobertoOrtiz
10-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Posted a thread on the Lightwave forum for app specific questions:

>>LINK<< (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=5&t=555599)

-R

proton
10-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanx! I'll send some of the team over to that thread to share...

unhurdof1
10-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Hey Proton,
Congrats on droppin the episode. Great Work! Tofu finally gets the limelight he deserves. Kudos!

On a side note, are you ever gonna release a modeling DVD outlining your processes, disciplines, inspirations, techniques, etc. for character design and digital creation? I'd be the first in line to buy it. And I don't even use LW. I just appreciate your designs, and am very eager to see what goes into creating them.

Happy Halloween!

proton
11-01-2007, 02:42 AM
Hey Proton,
On a side note, are you ever gonna release a modeling DVD outlining your processes, disciplines, inspirations, techniques, etc. for character design and digital creation? I'd be the first in line to buy it. And I don't even use LW. I just appreciate your designs, and am very eager to see what goes into creating them.

Happy Halloween!

I was just talking with someone about how that needs to happen soon :)

proton
11-04-2007, 04:25 PM
For those that are interested there are two new Tofu songs on the site:

Evil Adam
http://www.tofutheveganzombie.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1911#post1911

Chris Maness
http://www.tofutheveganzombie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212

CGTalk Moderation
11-04-2007, 04:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.