PDA

View Full Version : Luminous particles

Coll
10-17-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm looking for a way to make particles that give off light. Not Video Post Glow, actual light cast on other objects. Is this possible?

Kameleon
10-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Have you tried applying a self-illum material to the particles? Don't know if this works though.

noouch
10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Sure it works. Assign a self illum material to your particles (if you want an intensity >1 assign a noise map to your self illum slot, set both colors to white and control the intensity in the output section of the map). Set your renderer to Mental Ray, turn on Final Gather and you're all set.

CapitanRed
10-17-2007, 04:23 PM
you can also drive omnis with your particles. htis will speed up your renders. there's a script in the maxscript reference explaining how to drive gizmos with particles.

I think the most difficult part is creating and deleting omnis, when borning particles. but if you first create the p-system, and later create your omnis, and keep this amount, then it will be very simple ;)

on ChannelsUsed pCont do
(
pCont.usePosition = true
)
on Init pCont do
(

)
on Proceed pCont do
(
omniArray = $omni* as array
count = pCont.NumParticles()

for i in 1 to count do
(
pCont.particleIndex = i
omniArray[i].position = pCont.ParticlePosition
)
)
on Release pCont do
(

)

CGTalk Moderation
10-17-2007, 04:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.