PDA

View Full Version : weighting the joints

cel
04-10-2002, 08:51 PM
Hey everyone my name is chip lotierzo and I am a senior animation student at Rutgers University in New Jersey. I was working on the weights of the this basic character and need some input. I am using Soft XSI 2.0.1 but have used 3D in the past. I remember in 3D there was a joint button that would fix the weights so that they would not collapse at the joint. Here is a simple pic showing the problem. Now, my question is, does anyone know if this button exists in XSI. I have tried simply re-weighting the points to compensate but it has not worked!?!?!? Any input would be nice. Thanks.

[GFS]snoopy
04-11-2002, 05:08 AM
You can paint weights to the joints, so that you can easily assign each points to different joints with different deformation weight. Simply select your enveloped character and press w. CTRL + W opens the brush properties and with your MMB you can adjust your brush size interactively. Besides there is a weight panel on the left (third view panel button) where you can choose your bones from a list.

cu
[GFS]Snoopy

cel
04-11-2002, 11:38 PM
That is what I have been doing all along. I am throughly familiar with the weight editor panel etc.. I am looking for a method to stiffin the area around the joints so that I does not collapse on itself. In soft 3.9 there is a button called skin>deformation parameters>joint area, in the actor panel. This is the operation that I am looking for in XSI 2.0.1. Thanks for you input.

rbeirou
04-12-2002, 01:57 AM
There a new feature in 2.0 called pose based deformation. What it allows you to do is to save deformations based on many parameters.

In your case you would want to save deformation based on the orientation of your bone. This is done with the Animate | Shape | Link Deform With Orientation.

You might want to check out the documentation to see how it works.

1- But basically you create a cluster of your points around your joints. This cluster must include all the points you want to fix.

2- With the cluster selected, do Link Deform With Orientation and pick the forearm bone.

3- Then, rotate the forearm until the deformation in the joint area is not as expected. Move the points in that joint area where you would like them to be and do Animate | Shape | Save Deform Key.

Repeat #3 with a couple of times with different rotations until your joint is to your liking.

.. Ronald

cel
04-12-2002, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll give it a try. Chip

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.