PDA

View Full Version : XRefs - major workability issues!

sketchbook
10-15-2007, 10:41 PM
is there a way to make the xref'd scenes come in the same way they went out?

xreferencing seams rather unuseful for the majority of work that i do unfortunately unless i can come up with some solution to this.

see attached.

i often have several objects which are setup various ways as to viewport visibility and/or render visibility. for instance, i might have a whole folder hidden, whereas the objects within it are visible.

c4d unfortunately is disabling ALL objects under a folder which has been set to be hidden from the viewport. and not only disabled from the viewport, but rendering as well!

eeks.

is this something that can be changed?

sketchbook
10-16-2007, 09:26 AM
no replies? :(

bump bump

jph
10-16-2007, 12:13 PM
hi,

sorry canīt helpyou with that, I just started to look at Xref, and I noticed the same, and in adition I noticed that layers are not suported either... bummer!
I guess I will have to play with it to find out how to integrate it best in myy workflow, and how to adjust my workflow...

ciao jan

Mike Abbott
10-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Joe,
Just bumping this thread to see if it catches any further response. Judging by the lack of response first time around, I think you might be waiting for "version 2"...

Mike A.

sketchbook
10-16-2007, 11:23 PM
yeah, this was the only reason for my upgrading. i guess if nothing else i will just have to change the way i setup my files.

thanks

tonfarben
11-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Bump!

What annoys me even more about the XRefs is the fact that I cannot access the objects within an XRef Object. What I want to say is that if I link to a Character File in the XRef object, I cannot acces the controllers, I cannot animate them. Every expression is gone and so for me it is useless. Isnīt the intention of a Reference a fully functional Object (or hierarchy) which updates as I make changes to the original object?

LucentDreams
11-30-2007, 10:48 PM
it was said many times when it first came out that the xrefs are a simpler implimentation more suited for things like architecture and not at all suited for CA.

You can control those controllers by placing them into xpresso but its not a good pipeline. Instead I'd recommend if you feel that xrefs would suit you that you design the pipeline around the implimentation of xrefs.

For example, don't reference the characters, reference the environments.This is handy in that you can also have a low res proxy version of your environment and highres finals for rendering and easily switch between them.

On my last project We had environments, Animation, and Masters (which had our hairy characters without rigs) We referenced in environments into both the animation and the master files, we animated the rigged versions of the characters in the animation files, and point cached them out to load into the master files. Our master files were etremely easy to work with and played back in realtime even with hair. making tweaking lighting and such very easy to manage.

tonfarben
12-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Thanks Kai, this is a nice suggestion for a workaround to my problem. I will try to do as you suggested tomorrow.
I read about that it would not be so easy to implement "real Xrefs" in C4D because of its Core architecture, what a pity.

The really nice thing on those Xrefs like in Maya is for example making a weighting and then animate the character. Then automatically there will be poses who display issues with the weighting that could be solved in the Ref-Scene and so the problems are gone in all scenes already animated. But I know you know that ;-)

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2007, 01:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.