10-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Quickfacts:

Client: Chrysler USA
Car : Dodge "Journey"
Format: 1080p
Length: 01:38
Camera: Sony HDCam with DigiPrime Lenses
Locations: Dolomites, Munich
Tools : 3d Studio Max, VRay, Nuke, AVID, Photoshop, Iridas Framecycler DI (Colorgrading), Syntheyes and proprietary tools

A small excerpt from the presskit:

For the world premier of the new Dodge Model "Journey" on the International car-tradeshow in Frankfurt, Germany (IAA) Mackevision has created a productspot that is another step forward in 3d-technology. For the first time a spot that combines dynamic driving shots as well as humans interacting
with the car was created without using a real prototype, a stand-in or a mock-up model of the car on set. The car was created completely in 3d throughout
the whole spot. The actors were filmed in front of greenscreens or re-created digitally and have been integrated during post-production. This technique
has already been used partly in products-pots and commercials but the realization of a complete project with only a virtual prototype defines a whole new
range of possibilities and advantages compared to traditional methods of production.

[...]

Stills:
http://www.galleryofmedia.com/media/STILL_PRESSE_061451_600.jpg
http://www.galleryofmedia.com/media/STILL_PRESSE_041367_600.jpg

Final spot:
Donwload final spot (http://www.mackevision.de/kDATA/swap/dlsys/13/mv_dodge_journey.mov)

Making-of:
Download making of (http://www.mackevision.de/kDATA/swap/dlsys/13/mv_journey_making_of.mov)

Cleanplates only:
Download cleanplate edit (http://www.galleryofmedia.com/media/journey_plates_sor3.mov)

Kind Regards,
Thorsten

vaio
10-16-2007, 05:06 PM
congratulation .... amazing work 5 stars

Ronny

Creature
10-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Looks pretty good. There only is one shot from 00:52 to 00:54 that looks more like a previz shot that sneaked in than a final one.

NcatDesigner
10-16-2007, 09:40 PM
NO waaay!!

Are you trying to tell me that car is a 3d scene all the time???

AWESOME guys, I'm fascinated, I've viewed 4 times and I can believed. You are the masters, Congratulations!

Rens
10-16-2007, 10:21 PM
That's great!

Though the animation of the digital characters looks a bit blocky, especially right before they get out. Also in the last shot the wheels go on spinning just a fraction of a second after the car has stopped.

Very nice intergration and lighting/shading.

Rens
10-16-2007, 10:25 PM
--- double

mistasam02
10-16-2007, 10:29 PM
super amazing!! :D i love how 90% of the public would never know it was cg. keep up the good work guys!

PsychoSilence
10-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Thorschi, Du geile Sau!!! ;) :beer::beer::beer::bounce:

RobertoOrtiz
10-17-2007, 06:38 AM
WOW great work!

Plugged
-R

DIMO
10-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Hey,

thanks for the plug!

Feel free to visit our new site at www.mackevision.com. (http://www.mackevision.com)

Best regards,

Dieter

Siahpoosh
10-17-2007, 08:50 AM
very nice
render and shader is awesome

5 star

munkY
10-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Very nice yet again :scream:

Odessit
10-17-2007, 09:13 AM
5 stars and award with no comments.

paulc
10-17-2007, 10:29 AM
ace work, really impressive.

It would be interesting to know what the budget differences were between shooting with a real car and using a cg car.

WANGSHAOWEN
10-17-2007, 10:33 AM
ace work, really impressive.

It would be interesting to know what the budget differences were between shooting with a real car and using a cg car.

i want to know,too.

jussing
10-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Wauw, that's amazing. I watched the spot before the making of's, and I wouldn't for the life of me have guessed the car was CG all the time. I kept looking at the environment to see if I could spot set extensions and stuff.

I agree the shot at 0.52 looks off, though.

Did you shoot HDR chrome ball references for each setup? If not, how did you deal with reflections and environment lighting?

Very impressive work!

- Jonas

instinct-vfx
10-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Hey everyone,

as you probably guessed we cannot discuss budgets here with you :D

@jussing : We didnt shoot chromeballs, but we did HDRs for the locations, tho parts of the environment were also re-created in 3d as you can see in the making of. (And no we didnt use a spheron either, as i know that question would be on its way :P )

Kind Regards,
Thorsten

DIMO
10-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Hi,
The question of shooting the car real did not arise because at the time of shooting there was no car available. Prototypes are rare you know :)

Best regards,

Dieter

Russta
10-17-2007, 12:14 PM
the quality of the graphics are amazing. its a shame it's not very exciting and the music is horribly cheezy.

jigu
10-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Fantastic works guys! Thanks for the links. It's very inpirable and helpful!

jussing
10-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the reply!

@jussing : We didnt shoot chromeballs, but we did HDRs for the locations
And no we didnt use a spheron either
So.... how did you do the HDR's? Fish eye lens? Lots of stiched images?

- Jonas

Tzrnutt
10-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey everyone,

as you probably guessed we cannot discuss budgets here with you :D

I don't suppose anyone wanted real figures. What I (and probably, they) are interested in is whether there is much of a difference. That said, from the look of the "making of" all you needed was a car and it could all have been shot for real.

The difference then would be the cost of the CG production versus the cost of making a working prototype of the car for filming.

Whatever, the CG and FX here are first class - which I would expect from a company such as yours.

Well done. :thumbsup:

mickatt
10-17-2007, 02:19 PM
simply great

congratulation for this great work !!!

I saw your mercedes films and this one is even more impressive !

instinct-vfx
10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't suppose anyone wanted real figures. What I (and probably, they) are interested in is whether there is much of a difference. That said, from the look of the "making of" all you needed was a car and it could all have been shot for real.

The difference then would be the cost of the CG production versus the cost of making a working prototype of the car for filming.

Well that "all you needed" is a BIG all you need :P First of all you need to get the Prototype to the set, you need to secure both transfer and the set (we're talking about a secret thing there :P ) You need additional personal to take care of the car (keep it clean, remove wrinkles for interiour shots etc etc etc etc). In addition there's lots of other advantages. Security beeing one. Flexibility (Need a different car ? Different Rims ? Different colors ?) is another big point.

It's rather hard to put that to exact figures

Kind regards,
Thorsten

ajfavaron
10-17-2007, 02:41 PM
That looks great, when I saw it was made by Mackevision I knew it would be front page.
Thank you very much for the making of!
This is definitely what I needed in order to decide whether to do an outdoor animation for my reel, thank you for the inspiration ;)

Best,

Alexandre

noouch
10-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Overall quite nice, although something about the reflections bothers me in some of the shots...

webhead
10-17-2007, 03:48 PM
When I first watched this, I was wondering why it was on the front page, it just looked like another typical car ad. So what? Then, I saw the making of video, and realized I was totally fooled into thinking I was looking at a real car. Very nice matchmoving and lighting.
Now, I have to go back and look at the ad again, seeing it from a whole new perspective - oh, and see if I can find any little giveaways I missed the first time. Great job!

mycs
10-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Supercool! It looks very good.

One question kept my mind busy while watching the commercial: american car with german number filmed in american city. Why? The obvious answer would be because it was done in Munich. Nevertheless I guess the target is not Germany nor Europe.

Cheers.

instinct-vfx
10-17-2007, 04:47 PM
American city ? There is no american city heh...that IS Munich so a german number makes sense i guess :P

Daniel
10-17-2007, 04:53 PM
very nice!

However, some frames look just to perfect (hyper real).

DBKenn
10-17-2007, 05:14 PM
this maybe a stupid question but why don't they just film an actual car? Please don't blast me for it. Unless the car doesn't exist. Nice work mate.

instinct-vfx
10-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Well that "all you needed" is a BIG all you need :P First of all you need to get the Prototype to the set, you need to secure both transfer and the set (we're talking about a secret thing there :P ) You need additional personal to take care of the car (keep it clean, remove wrinkles for interiour shots etc etc etc etc). In addition there's lots of other advantages. Security beeing one. Flexibility (Need a different car ? Different Rims ? Different colors ?) is another big point.

If you read that post above i did, you will realise that there are more reasons then the unavailability of the prototype. Shooting a car is surely not a 1-2-3 thing and a lot more cumbersome than one might think at first.

Kind Regards,
Thorsten

DBKenn
10-17-2007, 06:00 PM
ok my bad. Makes sense. I don't have time to read everything. Nice work.

instinct-vfx
10-17-2007, 06:07 PM
no problem at all, understand that perfectly, that's why i reposted it :)

Regards,
Thorsten

pd
10-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Really fantastic work, I have nothing to crit. Thank you so much for posting the plates as well!

Buexe
10-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Congratulations to the people who contributed to this project! Having such a nice thing on one`s reel, should help in the next pitching situation. : )

Markus
10-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Supercool! It looks very good.

One question kept my mind busy while watching the commercial: american car with german number filmed in american city. Why? The obvious answer would be because it was done in Munich. Nevertheless I guess the target is not Germany nor Europe.

Cheers.

It's the european version of the car, filmed in Europe for the IAA Motorshow in Frankfurt/Germany. That's why it has a german plate. Unfortunately it's the plate of my car.
Now it's spread all over the internet and even here on the frontpage.

Thank you all for your kind words and also for the crits! Live would be boring, if there were nothing to improve.
B.t.w. we are always looking for talented artists who like car related stuff. Don't hesitate to contact us, if you are interested.

Kind regards,
Markus

unwrap
10-17-2007, 09:02 PM
I was about to say 'what's the big deal' when I realized that, holy crap, the car is CG? Excellent job :thumbsup: ! Totally photoreal.

noizFACTORY
10-17-2007, 09:06 PM
good work Markus and team! however, would agree with some people here that some shots did look hyper real and too perfectly clean but i guess that was what the client wanted. also, the guy popping out of the window with his handycam animation looked tacky but the spot overall was as gleaming and shiny as the car itself. now, we all love shiny stuff, don't we? :) congratulations again to everyone involved! :thumbsup:

Ajouz
10-17-2007, 09:30 PM
impressive!!!

instinct-vfx
10-17-2007, 09:39 PM
also, the guy popping out of the window with his handycam animation looked tacky

*cough*cough* that's a girl *cough*cough* :P

jussing
10-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Could you, pretty please with sugar on top, tell us about how you did the HDR's? :)

Thanks,
- Jonas

instinct-vfx
10-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Nothing special about it. Get a decent Cam. Shot a lot of pictures, and stich them. Sounds like hiding a secret, but it's the truth :)

Regards,
Thorsten

jussing
10-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Nothing special about it. Get a decent Cam. Shot a lot of pictures, and stich them. Sounds like hiding a secret, but it's the truth :)Sooo.... how do you deal with multiple exposures? (would be much HDR if you didn't :) )

Do you stitch an environment map for EVERY exposure, or do you collapse the exposures to HDR and then stitch the HDR's somehow?

Sorry for being nosy, and thanks for your replies.

- Jonas

GaryDXD
10-18-2007, 03:26 AM
Beautiful Work! I can't believe all the beautiful scenery in Europe and someone picked a track from "Country Edge" buyout music library.

Again, the visuals are amazing!

instinct-vfx
10-18-2007, 08:53 AM
@jussing: since v7 PTGui handles stitching and merging at once. Otherwise i'd suggest to rather stitch the exposures and merge the result as that's easier to line up i'd say.

Regards,
Thorsten

jussing
10-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Nice, thanks. :)

- Jonas

Finotti
10-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi,

I like very much of this propaganda for 2 reasons.

The first one for the place and later the process of accomplishment of the film.
Some considerations:

00:26 " - In the scene of the sinuous curve, soon after the image of REC of the camera, when the car passes in front of the camera the woman does not appear inside the car.

00:40 " - the hand of the woman you lacking the fingers in rotoscope.

Taking off these two tickets, in the remain without commentaries.

Glückwünsche

Tzrnutt
10-18-2007, 07:23 PM

It's rather hard to put that to exact figures

I worked on a Mazda advert recently and they had the car dropped off from a truck on the morning of the shoot. That was met by a guy from Mazda who's job it was to sit in the car when the actors wern't - for security. He also drove it to the different locations. Mazda were also decisive enough to supply us with the right car in the right colour with the right rims :p

I don't know how much it would cost to produce the 3d elements here. Nor do I know the cost of prototyping that car. That's why I asked you because I'm sure somewhere in the pre-production that question was asked - or at least skirted around.

As I said, I didn't want exact figures. I just wondered if YOU knew how much more expensive it was to do it in 3D versus a prototype...roughly....as a percentage even....

JJXu
10-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Great work! Hard to believe it's CG. I keep thinking something is going to happen to the car, like transform or something. hmm...too much transformers I guess.

relief7
10-19-2007, 03:57 AM
Wow, beautiful work ! A big compliment. Thank you so much for posting and for giving insights into the production with your making-of. Its really interesting ! I have followed your work since your last post about the Mercedes spot. It is always great to see completely CG-prototyped cars where you almost can not tell the difference anymore.

If you allow, I have a rather technical question... How much development time did you spend on your car rig ? Am I right in the assumption that it is highly specialized with lots of functionality ? And how much of all the parameters is automated and how much is hand-animated ? Do you just set the path of the car and then the wheels follow (steering/rolling/suspension) ?

Also may I ask how many passes you usually render per shot ? Do you use the VRay Render Elements or a more specialized setup ?

Thanks again for posting ! It is highly appreciated !

metalspring
10-19-2007, 05:24 AM
i see big team out ,

i have some questions
1,about your rendering time
2,the kind of machines that u use
3,and if you use nuke for furnace to delete your tracking points or just is your standar in your home.

anyway you did it , and good,

DIMO
10-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi,

the car was mostly rendered in one go. We heavily use the VRay Renderelements. We wrote a special VRay Renderelement that allows to render an unlimited amount of mattes with one go. It's called Multimatte. We released it for free some month ago and it is part of the VRay 1.5 installer now. All elements are rendered into a single exr. This makes the process clean and easy.

Best regards,

Dieter

ardworx
10-19-2007, 03:05 PM
great work like always!!! :thumbsup:

PsychoSilence
10-19-2007, 04:18 PM
foddoriel und frontpaeitsch! wehe das wird nich begossen, wenn ich komme >D

Djampa
10-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi thanks so much for sharing it ! :)

Congratulations, the car is awesome, the whole piece is awesome.

Cheers,

Djampa
10-19-2007, 07:50 PM
---double post... bad server... sry---

Hi thanks so much for sharing it ! :)

Congratulations, the car is awesome, the whole piece is awesome.

Cheers,

maxlover
10-20-2007, 02:00 AM
its just more than awesom....

this vehicle doesn't look cg from any angel man.... awesom job..most perfect cg car ever rendered...
can you light on subject of GI, did you use GI, and yes then which mothod...describe or hint a bit if possible..
10.9 starsss

TheApostle
10-20-2007, 08:14 AM
This spot is great, but the one thing that really screamed "CG!!!" is at the very end when the car pulls to a stop. Normally, the car would have a lot more momentum, and would rock back and forth a little more than shown.

The piece looks beautiful, though, and thank you for uploading the making-of as well as your plates - you are sooo generous!!

chaoticreality
10-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Absolutely great work. :thumbsup: Congratulations to the team who've worked and put there sweat in it... Agree that in one of the shots the passengers go missing and umm there are some small glitches that could be corrected...

I have some questions as someone above has already asked. How much of the car was automated in the rigging area? How much of it or which parts were manually animated? What kind propriety softwares/tools did you use... I mean what purpose did they serve?

I hope these questions are not annoying or too nosy. Just a bit curious...

nikiatanasov
10-20-2007, 03:57 PM
hi, the CG in this clip is awesome :eek:
on first watch I didn't realise that all shots are CG, only the last one have more revealed look, the most bad things for me are the music and the car dynamics in the final shot. Also the shot with putting the jacket in the back is absolutly useless, but that's maybe a client request.
I'm mostlly impressed by the lighting, shading and compositing 10+ stars :)

It will be great if you guys tell some of the secrets on the lighting part, how this is done for a moving car (one sunlight and HDR or somethig more complicated) and what passes you did to complete the car look?
Thank you for sharing and
Keep the good work :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2007, 03:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.