PDA

View Full Version : Boat "spray" help needed

bartteetaert
10-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Hello,

i'm new to particles and animation...
so i do have a question :)

My girlfriend's dad is a yachtdesigner/builder.. so he asked me if i could do some 3D models of the upcoming models... I made them in 3Ds and have fair results...

for an ocean i'm getting "moderate" results with the mental ray arch & design water shader (since i can't figure out the ocean shader, or any shader at all in mental ray)

but to make things more realistic, i would need some kind of "spray" coming out of the boat.
http://www.wally.com/Upload/i/img_118WP_new_001.jpg

like you see in the picture here, the boat starts to have a "spray" at the front where it touches the water, and it leaves a trail of whitewater...

anyone of you have an idea how to do this? the wake it makes isn't necessary...
I've tried realflow but can't figure it out!!
it doesn't have to be animated, a still image is good

would be really some one could help me!!

many thanks in advance!
Greetz
Bart

CapitanRed
10-15-2007, 10:02 PM
if you don't need a wake, simply define the part of the boat that should emit particles. add a wind, a gravity, and a delete operator.
and there you are.
for the shader, read allans smoke tuts on 3dluvr.com

BrandonD
10-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Depending on how the boat moves through the water, there are different techniques. The simple way is to draw a spline around the bow to about half-way down the length of the boat, do an outline operation to make a closed spline, convert it to a mesh, and use it as an emitter. This works best if the boat is pretty stable through the water. Add a float controller to the emission speed and birth rate to apply a layer of noise to the values. This will create a non-uniform organic emission of particles.

If the boat is anything like in your pic, then it's probably bobbing up and down onto the water surface, thereby generating more impulse driven splashes and not a constant emission. The trick to this is to coat the outer parts of the bow with particles that stick (toggle in Position Object operator). Then use a collision spawn test to test per integration step for collisions with the water (usually faster to make a planar deflector and not test the ocean mesh). If it collides, it kicks out a splash of particles. The beauty of this method is that the speed of the spawned particles directly correlates to the force of the boat's impact onto the water. So little bobs equal small splashes, big bobs, big splashes.

Kameleon
10-16-2007, 04:49 PM
There you go, I'll soon post a preview. Hope this fits :)

Edit: Here's the preview http://dimensao3.com/al/portfolio/scripts/preview_boat_pflow.zip

bartteetaert
10-16-2007, 06:06 PM
wow!!! that is incredible!!! thank you for your help so much!!!
exactly what i am looking for!

when finished i'll post some stills...unfortunately i can't post them now, since the boat is still in production and the design is kinda secret :)
it's a wooden, yet modern yacht, it's amazing hehe

should be finished soon for customer, so i'll keep you guys updated!!!

thank you again for the help!!!

bartteetaert
10-17-2007, 12:53 PM
just one quick question...the "bouncing" of the boat on the water, is that keyframe animated, or can you add like some kind of "noise" modifier

Kameleon
10-17-2007, 02:21 PM
I've added a noise controller on the Z Position Controller. Try looking in the help files for assigning controllers, there might be something there.

Kameleon
10-17-2007, 02:27 PM
-- double post

BigPixolin
06-04-2008, 05:40 PM
How would you render the mist?I'm having trouble making my mist look realistic.

Wicked
06-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Hello,

[...]

it doesn't have to be animated, a still image is good

Edit: OOPS! Sorry peepz, only read the first 2 posts... :blush:

Then I would suggest Photoshop! :arteest:
Look for a good reference and copy the things you need to your own render.

javi00
05-16-2009, 09:31 AM
hello

I need help, when i render the scene donīt appear the particles, how i render the particles? how asign a material to the partocles?

evanschaible
05-18-2009, 09:33 PM
For rendering particle you can do one of two things:

1. Use Krakatoa :)

2. Assign a material, and shape operator to your system node and assign everything you want like materials, shape (you can instance geometry as well, I am not sure if that is in the native PFlow system or not), and than add a scale operator and adjust your size until you have it right.

The reason the particles don't render is because they are actually not geometry, only ticks in the view port to represent a potential shape. It all depends on what you assign to them.

Hope that helps.

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2009, 09:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.