PDA

View Full Version : using bones from another layer

RaoUUUL
10-15-2007, 01:53 AM
Alright, first, hey whats up, ive used maya for about five years and for the past month ive been using lightwave, while im diggin it, i get stuck on a few things, this one i havent been able to get past

In modeler i have a character model weighted with skelegons on one layer and clothes in the second layer.

Ive sent both layers to layout, converted skelegons to bones from the first layer and parented the clothes to the first layer. the character model deforms to the bones pretty well. So i have the clothes under the first layer, both layers are active, i select the clothes layer hit shift b to get into bone mode and then hit p for properties i tell that layer, layer 2, to use bones from layer 1. now i should be able to deform the character with the clothes..... right?

this is where im stuck, it doesnt work, i cant get the clothes to move with the body...

i thought maybe its because the clothes didnt have weights so i put weights on the shirt and followed the same process but still no go.

ive searched and searched, help would be greatly appreciated. por favor.

ranhell
10-15-2007, 02:53 AM
make sure all the wieght map names are the same and deformation is set to last for the cloth layer...
layer 1 body
layer 2 cloth
select layer 2. select bone tab and "P" property set to use bones from layer 1....should work. its probabley some thing simple you over looked.....

RaoUUUL
10-16-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the reply ranhell

In modeler I went selected the weight maps, switched to the clothes layer and added weights to the clothes. Now the clothes have the same named weight maps as the body on layer one.

Sent to layout followed the same process and bam it works. You were right, the clothes needed the same named weight maps.

Thanks again!

Raoul

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2007, 12:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.