PDA

View Full Version : Are All BVH's Equal??

mixermanic
10-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Hi guys,

Does Poser have it's own version of the BVH format? I vaguely remember reading a while ago that it did.

If so, does that mean that Poser BVH libraries would not be compatible with MotionBuilder / Massive / Other MoCap importing software?

I'm just looking around for libraries at the moment and don't want to end up buying Poser libraries that won't work in anything else! :D

Cheers,

Martin

Favian001
10-18-2007, 03:41 PM
my boss went nuts and bought just about every mocap collection there is on the market. He did buy the Poser BVH mocap and I tested it. The Millennium Figure Poser BVH collection worked for us, but just the regular Poser BVH did not. Why ? I don't really know. One of my programmers set up a batch that re-named all of the files according to the FBIK naming convention. Unfortunately he's no longer with us, so I can't share the love with everybody. I hope that helps...:thumbsup:

mixermanic
10-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Excellent - well that's good to know! Thanks.

Possibly Poser files could be converted using Life Forms Studio or something like that...

Cheers!

Martin

mixermanic
10-21-2007, 03:28 PM
my boss went nuts and bought just about every mocap collection there is on the market. He did buy the Poser BVH mocap and I tested it. The Millennium Figure Poser BVH collection worked for us, but just the regular Poser BVH did not. Why ? I don't really know. One of my programmers set up a batch that re-named all of the files according to the FBIK naming convention. Unfortunately he's no longer with us, so I can't share the love with everybody. I hope that helps...:thumbsup:

I found some info that says Poser BVH files have more than 2 decimal places, and that is why they won't work in Blender (don't know about other applications though). There is an app that converts them on the page, but you could do it in excel or using a macro in a decent text editor (EmEditor or UltraEdit are the ones I use).

http://www.centralsource.com/blender/bvh/how.htm

Cheers,

Martin

Favian001
10-22-2007, 05:21 AM
nice....I'll show my boss and maybe get one of our programmers to take a crack at it. We did buy the Poser BVH's, but didnt know what to do with the ones that didn't work. Thanks alot, this is gonna make my boss happy:buttrock:

high five

mixermanic
10-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks alot, this is gonna make my boss happy:buttrock:

:thumbsup: Save the thanks until we know whether it works or not :p

I will be able to try in a week when my new workstation arrives...

M

TylerAZambori
10-27-2007, 05:06 PM
:thumbsup: Save the thanks until we know whether it works or not :p

I will be able to try in a week when my new workstation arrives...

M

I just got the mosterbones megapak from truebones.com, 1800 bvh files
cleaned up and everything for $99. It's a Halloween special, yay, happy
Halloween for me :).

Megalodon
10-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info Tyler - looks like a great deal!

Do you end up downloading them or do they send them on CD?

TylerAZambori
10-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the info Tyler - looks like a great deal!

Do you end up downloading them or do they send them on CD?

he sends you links to download from. It's ok I can burn my own CD, and I
already copied them to an external HD. I am hip-hop happy.

I've been wanting them for a long time. I've read peopel talk about
them online, and they say they are very smooth. So I certainly
hope so.

It's kind of a process to get them though. It took me a couple days
to figure out I was asking for the links from a bot, then I understood
that the instructions meant I need to go to his forum and request
the links there. After I did that, it was quick. Like, Duh is a letter
in Sanskrit, you know? hehe :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2007, 09:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.