PDA

View Full Version : How do I avoid flicker with the camera shake node?

osxrules
10-13-2007, 10:47 PM
When I add the camera shake node onto footage with parts that have a lot of detail, I get a flickering/shimmering effect in the detailed areas. Is there a way to avoid this? I tried using motion blur on the camera shake node and it helps a little but the flicker is still there.

I tried looking for a deflicker node/macro but I only found one with Sapphire and I can't really afford that.

I think part of the problem is the display because even if I hold a frame and drag the movie around on the LCD screen, the detailed parts flicker. On a CRT, this is not the case and the flickering is less noticeable. However it is still there and can be seen more with darker colors. However the final result will be used on LCD screens so I'd like to reduce it if possible.

Maybe I need to use some sort of dithering or something. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I found this site with the same issue except with stills:

http://dvcreators.net/discuss/showthread.php?t=10816

Avoiding fine detail is kind of the key to the problem but I'd rather not just blur it and scaling isn't possible. Maybe it can be done in Final Cut somehow? If there's a plugin or something that analyses surrounding frames and minimizes the flicker that way, it might work.

beaker
10-15-2007, 09:18 AM
turn on a little motion blur

osxrules
10-18-2007, 01:29 PM
turn on a little motion blur

Yeah I had tried that but it wasn't enough. I tried some filters in Final Cut yesterday. There is a flicker filter but it didn't do much to help. The antialias filter did but it made the video too blurry.

I then tried increasing the shutter timing on the camera shake and that worked but I had to put it up to about 4. It badly affected some other blur though so I had to move the node. Shutter timing generally isn't supposed to go higher than 1 AFAIK but using 4 stops the problem and the end result is acceptable - a more noticeable directional blur on a large camera movement looks more natural than the shimmering effect.

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2007, 01:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.