PDA

View Full Version : Mudbox DirectX for real-time renders?

shokan
10-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Hi,
I am trying to find out if Mudbox uses DirectX to render work in its viewport. I know it is an OPenGL-based program, but someone told me it is DirectX they use in the modeling viewport for real-time. I need to know this because of a stereo 3D LCD monitor that displays DirectX in stereo 3D. I have tried a lot of forums and also asked Skymatter. So far, no luck.
Thanks.

thomaspecht
10-14-2007, 12:21 AM
i think it's common knowledge that mudbox uses OGL, no direct3d at all. if i recall correctly, the intention was to make it multi-platform capable, not windows-centric.

shokan
10-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Thanks.
Any other 3D apps you can think of that offer at least a choice of viewport DirectX?

thomaspecht
10-20-2007, 02:35 PM
you mean a comparable sculpting-tool? no. generally, 3ds max does. the newer versions of maya apparently so as well. there must be others, too. of course these are quite different from an app like mudbox.

are you looking to justify such a stereo display device or trying to get the right tool for a given task? ;)

shokan
10-20-2007, 03:43 PM
I am hoping to find a program which equals the output of ZBrush, which is what I really want to use, but that will display DirectX for the stereo viewing using the IZ3D monitor. My longtime obsession with stereo imagery outweighs my desire to use my first choice of a program :thumbsup: .

So far, I have found a program called 3D-Brush that does use DirectX to render real-time in its modeling viewports. It's in its second version, from Russia. I have not yet used it and am curious to see if anyone starts posting some work that shows more expertise than the developer's examples on the site. The monitor company says that they tested the program on the monitor and found it did display stereo but that there was some doubling of the cursor.

www.3D-Brush.com (http://www.3d-brush.com/)

For roughing out before use in that program, I think it will be Metasequoia LE, a free one from Japan. Uses DirectX. There are others I would prefer to use from Japan/Germany, but they are Java-based that use Windows GDI.

Staging and painting will be with trueSpace, another one that uses DirectX for the real-time viewport.

I believe 3DSMax will have Mudbox features eventually and may be my program of choice down the road.

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2007, 03:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.