PDA

View Full Version : skinning doubts:skinning curve to locators?

shenmue
10-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi,
When I worked in max I was able to skin to any object,but in maya I having some problems.
I want to skin a spline to locators.It turns out that,if the locator have a father(like a null grp),the father is the object skinned.Why is that when I clearly have chosen the locator to skin?Becuase if the locator has no father,the locator is well skinned.
And one more thing is that I canŽt see the weigth of the locators in the component editor.
Is that a bad way to skin curves in maya?Should I use clusters instead?

thx

Lomax
10-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Clusters may be the better option, in this case.

For skinning to specific objects, you may need to change the creation options for the smooth skin. By default, I think it's set to 'Entire Hierarchy'. This can be changed to either 'Selected Joints', or 'Object Hierarchy'.

shinyprem
10-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi !

I dont think you can skin anything else other than a joint to a polygon, nurbs, subdiv, etc.

Rgds,

shenmue
10-15-2007, 11:27 PM
yea,I think IŽll just go with clusters.
thx

joie
10-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi there:

You can actually connect the locators directly to the curve control points.

With connection editor's aid, connect the translation of the locators to the control points position of the shape of the NURBS curve.

Hope it helped.

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2007, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.