PDA

View Full Version : references: radar, sonar monitors?

gaggle
04-09-2003, 11:58 AM
Hey all,

I've been looking around the web, searched through what seemed like an endless supply of images responding to the word "radar" on google, and have come up a bit emptyhanded.

I'm looking for reference images of radar monitors, it's pretty much that simple. I think we all probably know the cliché-ish standard radar with the green luminescent light and the line that turns around, and whatever it picks up fades out over time 'till it comes around again.
The best image I've found is likely this one (http://www.mbari.org/expeditions/SOFeX2002/images/Jan29/radar.jpg), but that's.. not a lot to go by. So yeah, anyway, I was thinking maybe someone has more shots of actual radarmonitors?

I'm looking for reference-shots at this point mainly to figure out how to best replicate the luminescent aspect of these monitors, so if you happen to have thoughts or examples about that seperate from anything radar-related feel free to mention it as well.

Note that there's plenty of radarscreen illustrations to be found on the net, but being computergenerated lack the exciting luminescent edges and such, so they're.. not so useful.

Also, I.. uh.. think this is the right forum for this.. I hope so.. sorry if it's not :)

EricChadwick
04-09-2003, 02:58 PM
How about the local video store? Tons of movies have radar screens. How about Aliens with that proximity-handheld-thingy the marines had? Or the end of The Abyss, when they're watching the craft rise on their radar. Etc. Etc.

gaggle
04-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Hm.
Indeed, good point. I don't know if they'll have close-up shots that'll allow you to just sit and stare at it to unravel the mysteries, but it would provide valuable references nontheless.

Duly noted sir.

Plus, hey, any plan involving seeing Aliens and/or The Abyss is a good plan by definition :)

EricChadwick
04-09-2003, 04:01 PM
You owe me a beer man.

http://creative.gettyimages.com/source/Film/filmresultsmain.asp?source=quickSearchFilm&txtSearch=radar&chkRoyaltyFree=on&chkLicensed=on&brand=allbrands

gaggle
04-09-2003, 05:55 PM
Whoa, indeed, thanks. After just a few seconds I can see there's at least one that seems just about perfect.

Thanks! :bounce:

I actually tried gettyimages earlier, but.. I never knew they had a movie section, d'oh :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.