PDA

View Full Version : - Drawing GOOD Joints?

CIM
04-09-2003, 09:54 AM
When I draw joints, they come out ugly rotation-wise, and I have to go in manually and set them all to be correct.

Are there tips and tricks to get them to be drawn right or is this just how things are? I've heard that "Maya's joints suck". :thumbsdow

dwalden74
04-09-2003, 02:48 PM
When I draw joints, they come out ugly rotation-wise, and I have to go in manually and set them all to be correct.

I donŽt see why your rotation values would be anything other then 0 0 0 after you draw joints in the viewport (except the root joint, which will have rotational values relative to the origin). Maybe you have Create IK Handle turned on in your Joint Tool Settings? IŽd turn this off if this is the case.

I've heard that "Maya's joints suck".

Who told you that?!? I want his name and phone number!!! ;) Actually, MayaŽs joints are pretty cool. I certainly prefer the zeroed-out rotations on MayaŽs joints as opposed to the Softimage way (which is just a pain in the neck).

:beer:
David

dmcgrath
04-09-2003, 09:36 PM
There are several ways to create joints in Maya (like everything else) that won't cause you too many problems. One of my favorites is to make a bunch of locators where you want the joint pivots to be located. And then make sure all of your geometry is turned off and just point snap from locator to locator. This ensures that all of your bones will have only ONE translate value (X) and no rotate values. If you need to go and tweak the position of a joint, use the Joint Orient values to change this (in the attribute editor) and all of your rotates will stay at 0's.

Animation and rigging is one of Maya's strongest points, so your friend is simply mistaken (or misinformed).

And dwalden is right, making sure you have all zeroes in you rotates makes it easy to get back to the default pose of a character. It's a very hand feature.

pyromania
04-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Another good thing to do is make sure all your joints have the same local axis rotation.

Select your joints and go into component mode then turn on Misc objects (Question mark button) then use your rotate tool to rotate the axis the way you want. This can come in handle when you start dealing with IK

Another way to do it is select the joint and use the

joint -e -oj xyz -zso

mel command, this will orient the local axis so x points down the bone.

MikeRhone
04-12-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by pyromania

Another way to do it is select the joint and use the

joint -e -oj xyz -zso

mel command, this will orient the local axis so x points down the bone.

...Dude

You just saved my life.

Mike R :buttrock:

CG.p
04-19-2003, 10:06 PM
I'm being dropped into a situation where I'm having to pick up <Maya> rigging pretty quick. I've been trying to follow the manuals (the ones other people aren't hoarding) and books I can find.

The problem I'm running into is learning the process and not rigging someone's tutorial character. I'm loading a character that I want to load (similar to what I need to rig) I'm getting huge joints. So far the only info I've run across tells me to change the grid size. When I did that JUST the grid changes, new joints are still huge.

Can anyone tell me (or tell me where the info is) on how to create joints that are relative to a mesh I'm working on WITHOUT scaling the rig all the time.

HELP!! :(

(Scaling the character is a workaround that might not be an option)

BooRadLey
04-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Display / Joint Size and just pick one, it won't affect anything other than the size the join'ts are drawn in the viewports.

Brad

CG.p
04-19-2003, 10:24 PM
Thanks!!!!
:bounce:

It's the little things..weights/binding/IK no problem. Display issues..smash keyboard...angry..crush mouse :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.