PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot Linux Causes Hardware Conflict?

singularity2006
10-12-2007, 05:53 AM
So I have a Dell Latitude L400 laptop running 700MHz P3 processor w/ 256MB PC100 CL2 RAM. I have an 8GB solid state disk on this machine and dual booted Windows 2000 and Xubuntu Linux. I noticed this problem after formatting and re-installing stuff all day today:

Upon installing Xubuntu Linux, Windows 2000 no longer allows me to tap to click on my synaptics touchpad.

Upon installing the Synaptics driver, my Xubuntu ethernet drivers fail and cannot re-activate.

So in the process, I uninstalled my Synaptics driver and my tap to click function was still good. Then when I re-installed Linux to get my ethernet going again, my touchpad again, no longer takes tap to click.

I repeated this twice just to be sure ...

Any idea why there is this funny driver conflict between my touchpad's ability to tap to click in Windows and my ethernet card functionality in Linux?

And to add:

When ethernet failed in Linux, it still works in Windows.
When tap to click failed in Windows, it still works in Linux.

So strange... sooooo strange....... ~.~

singularity2006
10-12-2007, 06:23 AM
amazingly enough - uninstalling the generic PS/2 mouse driver (which was associated with the touchpad) and restarting the system fixed the problem..... so bizarre. I guess i'll just avoid the synaptics software entirely. :)

PanzerMKZ
10-13-2007, 03:32 AM
Ok as an owner of older computers I have to ask this question. how is that p3 700 with the ssd? There is nothing like putting newer harddrive in an older machine to wake it up.

Panzer

singularity2006
10-13-2007, 03:54 AM
Ok as an owner of older computers I have to ask this question. how is that p3 700 with the ssd? There is nothing like putting newer harddrive in an older machine to wake it up.
Panzer

Sure, lemme quote my newegg.com review as it was pretty lengthy and covers exactly what i wanted to say:

A Cooler & Quiet Laptop

Pros: The nature of solid state drives means there is no noticable heat coming from the drive. Since this is enclosed in my laptop, I practically feel no heat other than the heat from my laptop's CPU. In addition, there is literally no operating noise. So now, my laptop starts nicely, no heat, NO SOUND. NO FAN! (fan is temperature based)

Cons: There is no real performance gain other than random read performance. Windows menus pop out faster, programs are a little more snappy. No noticable disk write enhancements. It's about the same speed or slower write speed for program installs. I have yet to try installing a full OS on there so that might be a different thing altogether.

Other Thoughts: It needs a built in cache in future editions to enhance performance. The cost does not justify the performance gain (if there was any). However, the cost does justify the elimination of any hard drive noise (which is, in most cases, 99% of the noise from the laptop) and heat issues. In the end, this is a cool and quiet PC upgrade more than anything else. And since my 7200rpm 2.5" drive melted the rubber feet off my laptop, I consider heat and noise an important issue warranting a 4 star review (didn't get the 5 because write performance was such horrid junk).

To tack on ... I run all my stuff through a 500GB network attached hard drive, which has FTP access so I can get my stuff anywhere offsite. So yeah, 8GB dual boot is enough for my OS, apps, and scratch work. I kind of like the feeling running a LEAN system .... not too much extra in terms of resources that goes un-tapped.

basically to sum: if you don't use ur system for anything write-intensive, this drive is the best way to go. if u are needing this for rendering work requiring lots of disk write and handling of large files - don't bother.

CGTalk Moderation
10-13-2007, 03:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.