PDA

View Full Version : My Gollum

dynodio
10-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Hello,

This is a personal facial motion capture project.
I did everything at home.

www.visserot.com (http://www.visserot.com)

Thanks

Afanissiev
10-11-2007, 03:13 PM
very impressive for a parsonnal project!! how did you do? Can I do it at home too?:eek:

very good!

ivanisavich
10-11-2007, 03:25 PM
WOW.

The brows weren't very expressive...and some of the expressions overall didn't exactly match the tone of voice...but WOW!!! For a home-made mo-cap system that's amazingly impressive!

Looked much better than some of the Face Robot stuff I've seen, and Face Robot is a $90,000 app!!!

Tama
10-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Wow! Good work esp. for such a budget set of tools.

After watching the making of video, I think that the actor's eyes are almost too wide eyed in expression throughout the entire acting. Some squinting and blinking might have added a tad more range.:thumbsup:

dellis
10-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Great job.....can't wait to see some more!

Sneakybunny
10-11-2007, 10:39 PM
That totally rocks, hey any chance of a short run down of how you when about it? and any problems you over came?

Ranimate
10-11-2007, 11:12 PM
I have one word to say but since you cant post a reply with only one word, let me repeat it a few times, will ya?

here goes,

Wow, wow, wow, wow

:scream:

Ranimate

dynodio
10-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks very much everybody :)

As I wrote, I did everything at home, even the acting in front of the cameras.
And my acting is not the thing i'm the most proud of :) sorry, I did my best...

Ok, i will try to explain a little bit the process of making my gollum.
(Sorry for my poor English)
First of all, I choose this project because facial motion cature technics are quiet rare in the
movie and game industry.It's a pure technical project and that's the reason why I excluded the artistic part.I don't remember the number of problems I had to solved but it was quiet hard.
I did everything without programers and plugins.I understand that my work is not perfect at all
and not as good as WETA work but it's a first test and I learned a lot to improve my technics.

I started sculpting a real sculpture to feel the main shape of Gollum.

I did a kind of 3D scan with a software called "Image modeler" from "Realviz"
I took Some photos with differents angles and Image modeler extracted me a rough 3d model.

I did the final Modeling in 3DS max.I love this software because it's very fast.I miss only one version of 3ds max and I started a long time ago on 3dStudio2 in a game production called "Heart of darkness".
I work on Maya too but I don't like the way french company are using it.

I did the motion capture at home with 3 simple DV cameras and I used a software called "Movimento" from Realviz to process the 2D datas from cameras to a 3D scene.

The most difficult and interesting part was to interpret those 3d moving locators from my face to a cg character with a different shape.I found a good technique that can be improved.

After that, I did the bump mapping in a cg sculpting tool.I will not tell the name of the software because it was a nightmare to organise a pipline.
I mean, zbrush or Mudbox are fantastic tools to create still images but it become very fustrating when you need very detailed characters with millions polys on a 32bit operating system with 3gb ram and the need to translate to another 3d software (bump,normalmap...).

The rendering was done with mental ray.The fast SSS is very good but mental ray is not well interfaced with 3dsMax an it become very complexe because you need to write Phenomenon
for specific material.for exemple: how do you do a globe eye with sss without a transparency chanel for the iris?
I had problems with the network rendering because the Fast SSS material is not supported.
And I still don't understand why mentalray need to calculate every passes when you need zdeph,specular,reflection.....

And the compositing was done in After Effects

Thanks again, it's such a pleasure to have good feedback

ragdoll
10-12-2007, 02:26 PM
fokin awesome! :thumbsup:

Jeggis
10-12-2007, 02:59 PM
You've done an amazing home setup, and the animation looks really good. I sure want to test these things out. 5 stars.

Oh, and by the way, wouldn't it be cool to take a quote from another, completely different movie, using the sound clip from that movie and animate it with the Gollum model?:)

madm4tt
10-16-2007, 09:56 AM
You've transposed your facial animation in the model in a very professional way IMHO... :-)

The model is very realistic like the movements, the shaders as you said could be improved anyway very good job man... :-)

P.S.: "movimento" by realviz is a traking program like Boujou or is a specific tool for the MoCap?

Bye

dynodio
10-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks

Movimento is a software focused on motion capture only.
It's a very flexible program that I use sometimes on set with the actors.
It's very shiper then traditional mocap system.
Realviz have a tracking software also called Matchmover that I use a lot in post production.
In fact, I give my professional feedback to Realviz for Movimento development.

elfufu
07-12-2008, 10:07 PM
what cameras did u use? do any cheap cameras work?

zoo-prod
07-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Very impressive system. Looks to work really well.
I think it's a nightmare to setup properly !

( Crazy I looked on you CV, you've worked on flashback for megadrive ! Respect ! )

dpendleton
07-13-2008, 09:26 PM
That was very good man.

SueHouston
07-14-2008, 02:05 AM
Thanks for sharing that! That was cool to watch!

nanogirl
07-14-2008, 02:34 AM
AMAZING, you are talented in so many ways, very well rounded. Loved it. Gina

Ajouz
07-14-2008, 01:59 PM
After i read the process of making the animation, i appreciated your work and your effort more; but you have to know that people out there don't know, and don't care how you did the work, all what they know is the final work. Having that said, here's my critic, i think you have a great model, texture and light, but the acting should be more exaggerated, i have to feel that Gollum has two different personalities by looking at the facial expressions, you have to exaggerate the good Gollum and the evil one. But again you did a great job making Gollum, and you're not far from perfecting the animation.

Great job... keep on going

tozger
07-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Amazing work. the key here is that it can be done this good at home with such a low budget.

Sceme
07-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Right at the start I was not too impressed (maybe being too critical), but right after few seconds I noticed that this was actually quite amazing work. And knowing how this was done, Just amazing. All I can say :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2008, 11:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.