PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a Spring

Luna373
10-10-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm trying to rig a spring as a character's shoulder. I can get good IK control, but I would like to be able to control the spring with FK too. The spring only has 4 coils and I would like to be able to manipulate the coils. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

anthonymcgrath
10-12-2007, 08:44 AM
you could create an IKFK setup for that area - should allow you to control/blend between both animation methods okay.

Luna373
10-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks. That answers part of my question. Right now, I am having a hard time getting the spring to stretch like a spring with either FK or IK. When I stretch the spring, it does not maintain the volume of the shape. How do I make the spring stretch and maintain volume.

shinyprem
10-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi...!

Put the joint chain from where you need to have the pivot..(spring deforming towards the middle frm both end, then place the joint like>>>><<<<<<<<<<< OR if the spring deforms unidirectional use appropriate joint chain like >>>>>>>). Now scaling the middle root joint you'll get the deformation. For maintaining the volume just scale in two axis..
Rgds,

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2007, 12:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.