PDA

View Full Version : How mist works

Poju
04-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Do mist make objects transparent or how it works?
I have this scene where i have plane with pic of island, it is b&w and without mist bottom of plane is not transparent at all. When i turn mist on u can see dark treeline trough island.

Now i must duplicate that plane about 10 times if i vant to make it not transparent and it make rendertime looooong.

Is there better way?

If u look carefully this pic and right side of island u see what i mean:
(Sorry i don't have better pic uploaded)

http://members.surfeu.fi/tero.konttila/PP2/icy5.jpg

Apollux
04-09-2003, 12:15 AM
Haven't experimented with mist yet (it seems like a nice way to fake DOF ;) )... but your problem -and any other problem involving transparent objects- is likely to be solved by using the unified renderer.

The option is at the bottom of the Display Buttons. It won't be as fast as the normal render, but certanly will be faster than your current workarround.

Poju
04-09-2003, 12:21 AM
DOF is made with z-blur plugin and if i use unified render i get "no z-buffer" error or something like that

Apollux
04-09-2003, 12:34 AM
Damm... sorry I can't be of more help to you :shrug:

By the way, I've been unable to run any of the sequecuence editors plug-ins under 2.26 (linux dynamic version)... Do I need to install Python as well to run the blur and Z blur plugs?

BgDM
04-09-2003, 12:56 AM
Why are you even using the Mist on this image? I tlooked fine without it?

Anyway, can you post an image of your mist settings for us to see and we can probably help you tweak them.

Appolux: none of the sequence plugins, nor the texture plugins work under anything but 2.23 or lower, as the Python API was changed slightly in the newer versions, (AFAIK). DL'ing a newer version of Python will not solve your problem at all. I am hopeful that these issues will be solved in a new release of Blender shortly.

BgDM

Apollux
04-09-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by BgDM
Appolux: none of the sequence plugins, nor the texture plugins work under anything but 2.23 or lower, as the Python API was changed slightly in the newer versions, (AFAIK). DL'ing a newer version of Python will not solve your problem at all. I am hopeful that these issues will be solved in a new release of Blender shortly.

BgDM

Texture plugings work fine for me... I had to compile them (as they came un-compiled) but they work just fine. Had used Clouds2 and Tile plugings so far under 2.26

** and I don't even have python installed on my machine.:eek:

BgDM
04-09-2003, 01:07 AM
hmm, OK then. Maybe it got fixed and I didn't know. I will have to try it then and see what happens.

BgDM

Poju
04-09-2003, 02:26 AM
I did little testing and it appears that materials with Ztrasnsp enabled comes transparent where they should not.

U can test it with plane and box. Add plane and behind it add box, add material to plane and enable Ztransp no need to touch alpha value(so it should not be transparent. Add new world enable mist and set sta and di values (in test i used sta:2 di:24)

And voila:

Poju
04-09-2003, 02:27 AM
Oh yes i use 2.23 if i need plugs

"Why are you even using the Mist on this image? I tlooked fine without it?"

Where u have seen it without mist?

dani
04-09-2003, 01:19 PM
It's a bug indeed!

Nice job finding it!
Well it happens when Sta value is smaller than the distance between the nearest object and when Di value ends up IN the object behing it....

I should try to do it with three or more objects to get how this bug occurs.

Dani

BgDM
04-09-2003, 01:47 PM
Poju, I have seen the image on elysiun. Maybe it had the mist enabled on it, but the transparency was not as visible as it was on this image. Could be just my bad memory though. :rolleyes:

Nice work as always, by the way.

BgDM

Poju
04-09-2003, 08:57 PM
dani: Bug? I just tought that is property not bug :rolleyes:
Anyway it's wery annoying when u want to make horizon with my method.

BgDM: It was same pic at elysiun, but if u don't know where to look it's hard to notice, but when you discover that it jumps everytime right to your face.

Anyway i desided that those two ice fishing pics are finnished, atleast i hope so.

Heres links:

http://members.surfeu.fi/tero.konttila/PP2/JarviD1.jpg

http://members.surfeu.fi/tero.konttila/PP2/JarviE1.jpg

Apollux
04-10-2003, 04:51 AM
Perhaps I'm been plain naive, but why to over stress yourself so much to create an horizon when Blender comes with that option included??

You point wich image to use, set some clonning options and let Blender do his magic. If the image is already blured then you can play with mist until you can't breath no more and you won't get any strange artifacts. Actually you can even animate the horizon itselft :eek:

Apollux
04-10-2003, 04:52 AM
By the way, there are intended to remain still images or an animation is on it's way?

dani
04-10-2003, 11:53 AM
apollux, the horiz and other world mapping features in blender are good, but may not always match what you intended.
Indeed, besides the fact that there used to be a bug there, the background image is often strectched out, so whe n you want to do some local effects, is rather difficult.

Poju, I beleive it's a bug, why would mist behave this way?
I'll do a report at .org as soon as i can.

Dani

theeth
04-10-2003, 04:26 PM
nice picture.

Also, two things.

1: Texture and Sequence plugins are C dynamic libraries, they do not use Python (I know one exception, but that plugin hard to find and there's a version without Python).

2: plugins aren't all broken in 2.26, only a couple of them (that sometimes didn't work with 2.23 either) do not work with 2.26.

anyway...

Martin

Poju
11-08-2003, 04:46 AM
Dani did u report that mist thingy to .org?

Anyway i think there is same bug with halo lamps and materials too.

Example 1

Four boxes and in box 2 and 4 (from left) is z-transp. enabled.
Front of boxes are couple lamps with halo enabled(that white beam) and result image below

Poju
11-08-2003, 04:49 AM
Example 2

Front of boxes are vretex with halo material.

Poju
11-08-2003, 04:52 AM
Example 3

Behind of boxes are vertex with halo material and result image below

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.