PDA

View Full Version : Pixar Confirms "Mars" Trilogy

RobertoOrtiz
10-09-2007, 03:36 AM
The Pixar team has confirmed to the EBZine website that they recently made a trip to Edgar Rice Burroughs archives, doing research for a trilogy of John Carter of Mars films.

http://www.erbzine.com/news/

leuey
10-09-2007, 04:32 AM
Su-weeeeeeet.

-G

Lone Deranger
10-09-2007, 10:31 AM
When I read the topic, for a second I thought; "The Kim Stanley Robinson" Mars trilogy?? What's Pixar gonna do with those?" :D

elektronaut
10-09-2007, 01:21 PM
wooo-hhoooo ! :D

aaraaf
10-09-2007, 01:59 PM
I wonder if they will keep them in the vein they are in which will broaden Pixar's scope, or if they will change them to fit more in their own style.

I would have guessed a lot more change to the originals, until some of the Wall-E stuff that's been hitting, and Incredibles sure skirted some interesting and very modern relationship dynamics.
Either way I'm looking forward to them... I'm sure it'll be a blast. Can't wait to see what they're thinking for the designs of John and Deja. Frank Cho's interpretations are pretty much what I see when I read the books.

Venkman
10-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Finally, a company willing to tackle an animated movie that isn't talking fuzzy animals here in the USA! More power to Pixar!

The incredibles was a great step, WALL-E is going to be my next geek-out movie, and now I can't wait for this project!

PerryDS
10-09-2007, 02:21 PM
I believe I read a bunch of the comic books way back when. That's the mars story that had aliens with four arms. Kind of like Conan the Barbarian in space. That's a stretch for the normally stretchy characters of Pixar.

arctor
10-09-2007, 03:48 PM
I will be VERY surprised if this turns out even remotely faithful to the books....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Princess_of_Mars
Except for some jewelry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewelry), all of the planet's races seem to eschew clothing and look down upon Earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth)'s inhabitants because they do wear clothing. Burroughs describes Dejah Thoris thus:

And the sight which met my eyes was that of a slender, girlish figure, similar in every detail to the earthly women of my past life.... Her face was oval and beautiful in the extreme, her every feature was finely chiseled and exquisite, her eyes large and lustrous and her head surmounted by a mass of coal black, waving hair, caught loosely into a strange yet becoming coiffure. Her skin was of a light reddish copper color, against which the crimson glow of her cheeks and the ruby of her beautifully molded lips shone with a strangely enhancing effect. She was as destitute of clothes as the green Martians who accompanied her; indeed, save for her highly wrought ornaments she was entirely naked, nor could any apparel have enhanced the beauty of her perfect and symmetrical figure.

this much nudity will get a PG-13 instantly, add the violence and you're looking at an R...and even though it's Pixar it's Disney that will distribute...and they don't do stuff like this....

A Princess of Mars is not a cartoon, and it wasn't written for 8 year olds...

cganimator
10-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Finally, a company willing to tackle an animated movie that isn't talking fuzzy animals here in the USA! More power to Pixar!

Pixar never did "talking fuzzy animals". They were Toys, Bugs, Mosters, Fishes, Cars.

Kai01W
10-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Pixar never did "talking fuzzy animals". They were Toys, Bugs, Mosters, Fishes, Cars.
Well, a rat is pretty fuzzy... The thing is that though Ratatouille might seem to come closest to that cliché I think it's their most mature/adult movie to date.

-k

Flog
10-09-2007, 08:12 PM
I think they will keep the spirit of the story and really it wouldn't need to be overly violent. I'm sure they are not afraid of the PG-13 rating as they have made PG13 rating before at Disney.

It would probably be equivalent to Pirates of the Caribbean in violence and other rating criteria.

And to think of nudity. I think there are ways around it like a skimpy outfit. It would not be the first time. From Little Mermaid, Jasmin and Belle. They have shown busts, midrifs and legs on many occasion. So I think they can pull it off.

Disney has played it's part in PG13 and R rated films in it subsidaries.

I think this one will be PG or PG13. Somewhere in between. Implied violence and nudity.

Venkman
10-09-2007, 08:17 PM

I never meant to imply they do, only that Pixar seems to push American animation a little more than other companies.

I love me some Pixar. :)

aaraaf
10-09-2007, 08:56 PM
I love me some Pixar. :)

Agreed!

Maybe they will do it under a different name or format or for a different target audience... and for them to be talking about 3 films is a little different than their norm.

I wouldn't put it past those guys to do something completely and radically different than anyone is expecting!

I love these stories, and it's a shame that some of the content will probably be zeitgeisted. John is a confederate soldier, and there's a lot of fighting Indians/Native Americans in the beginning that leads to this really strange and beutiful reflection about how the "green" martians and "red" Indians are simultaneously more advanced and more primitive than John's South. It's part of the heart of the story that could get diluted really quickly because it's not told in a pretty way at all, but in a rather fierce fashion that is unique to these stories.

Tim Miller
10-09-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm curious about the style...to try and do realistic human animation keyframe is madness....and Pixar is so anti-mocap I can't believe they'd even consider that. So it would either need to be heavily stylized (which feels a bit odd for this material) or....maybe they'd do a (gasp!) live-action CG hybrid! ala' 300. Hmmmmm.....

Tim Miller
blur

Venkman
10-09-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm curious about the style...to try and do realistic human animation keyframe is madness....and Pixar is so anti-mocap I can't believe they'd even consider that. So it would either need to be heavily stylized (which feels a bit odd for this material) or....maybe they'd do a (gasp!) live-action CG hybrid! ala' 300. Hmmmmm.....

Tim Miller
blur

That might be interesting, actually. A mix of live action and CG. I saw their underwater tests for Finding Nemo side by side with live footage (it's an extra on the DVD) and I was blown away. They are certainly capable.

DoubleSupercool
10-09-2007, 11:13 PM
When I read the topic, for a second I thought; "The Kim Stanley Robinson" Mars trilogy?? What's Pixar gonna do with those?" :D

Ha! That's exactly what I thought. I was trying to imagine Pixars take on a decidedly "hard science" fiction series. I assumed at least one loveable talking robot with a heart of gold ;)

robcat2075
10-10-2007, 12:23 AM
So has there been a definitive word on if Pixar's Mars will be all animated or will this be a step into live action? I've seen rumors either way.

ngrava
10-10-2007, 04:56 AM
Well, first thing is that if you're having a hard time imagining it, that probably means it's going to be great because it will finally be something we haven't seen. ;) The one thing I remember reading was that they are wanting to move away from children's pictures and move into more adult themes. It makes sense when you consider that hayao miyazaki is one of John Lassiter's favorites. I think what we are in store for is something that hasn't really been done before and I totally commend them for being so brave. It's what I have dreampt of for years. Every time I try to pitch my ideas to friends they always say, "That sounds more like Live action then something animated." I think what they are really saying is, "That doesn't sound like a cartoon."

Digit
10-10-2007, 05:17 AM

Tim Miller
blur

I predict they'll rotoscope it with magic crayons. Like we do at Blur.

edit: Um... just looked at the link and it doesnt look like the kind of place of place where Pixar would break big news. Also, a search on the site for pixar brings back no results.

aaron111
10-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Does Pixar have the resources to do more than one project at once yet? Because it is hard for me to imagine them taking on something like this that is so far from their "forumula" without also planning on putting out a sure bet box office success the same year.

pomru
10-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Does Pixar have the resources to do more than one project at once yet? Because it is hard for me to imagine them taking on something like this that is so far from their "forumula" without also planning on putting out a sure bet box office success the same year.
Oh yes, at Pixar they most certainly do have the resources to do more than one project at once -- and they've been doing it ever since their first Toy Story became a hit. While their animators were workng on A Bug's life, the story development and concept art people were already working on Toy Story 2. This is how they were able to sneak in a Nemo cameo in Monsters, Inc. even though the general public was barely aware of Finding Nemo's existence in the Pixar pipeline.

Venkman
10-10-2007, 09:26 PM
This is how they were able to sneak in a Nemo cameo in Monsters, Inc. even though the general public was barely aware of Finding Nemo's existence in the Pixar pipeline.

Where was that cameo? I'm not going to be able to sleep at night until I know!

SergioSantos
10-10-2007, 09:27 PM
??????

Edgar R. B. ???

What about Martian Chronicles (Ray Bradbury) and Mars Trilogy (Kim S. Robinson) ??? that's some tasty stuff for hollywood guys!, but... pixar?

well... most of the pixar things are good, it could be interesting.

BigJay
10-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I hate to say this.....

but wasn't bugs life based off the magnificent 7 and cars off another story...

Could they take john carter of mars and do the same thing. Make it bugs/rats/inteligent lint... i have no idea what they will do with it but there is always a posiblity that they will reinvent the story to fit the audiance they have been doing movies for.

I would love to see it done in some way related to humans. even if its modern or future earth and aliens on mars....but we know there is no life on mars so they may have to change planets or some such. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Imhotep397
10-10-2007, 11:00 PM

Now that they are integrated with Disney and ImageMovers is involved Hell Yeah! Even though Disney 3D feature animation was shutdown the resources and a lot of the people were rolled into the Pixar division, Pixar's resources have been doubled or even tripled as a direct result of being acquired by Disney. ImageMovers doing "Performance Capture" will get the animation halfway there. On top of that even though Pixar is heavily involved the movie will be released through ImageMovers, because the violence, nudity, blood etc. just isn't going to work with the Pixar name on it.

deatheater4ever
10-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I've read 3 or 4 books of the entire series and there's loads of sword-fighting in the them. Even though they use guns or blasters to be precise ,on Mars you cannot fight your opponent with as gun if he uses a sword ..........a code of honour exists and you have to defeat your opponent with just a sword .
The Gods of Mars is totally awesome .......... I'm too eager to see sneak peeks of Tars Tharkas ,John Carter's best friend. Woola,his pet hound ( or his pet hideous beast with eight legs and an extrremely wide and hideous grin ) would be great to watch.

jewalker
10-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Even though Disney 3D feature animation was shutdown the resources and a lot of the people were rolled into the Pixar division, Pixar's resources have been doubled or even tripled as a direct result of being acquired by Disney.

Where in the world are you getting your information? Bolt is coming out on November 26, 2008 and is fully CG, and Rapunzel is scheduled for 2009, also fully CG.

However Pixar does have the resources to pull this off. They are currenly at a movie per year and are trying to ramp up to 3 movies every two years.

Dustin
10-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Where was that cameo? I'm not going to be able to sleep at night until I know!

I am pretty sure it is in Boo's room when she is handing Sully all her toys, and one of them is a clownfish.

aaraaf
10-11-2007, 05:08 PM
I thought Circle 7 (is that right?) was the division set up to do Pixar sequels, and they were shut down.

Maybe that's what Imhotep397 is thinking?

I haven't read anything on all of the features department being shut down, though...

It'd be a shame, because I really loved Chicken Little, and can't wait to get a copy of Meet the Robinson's when it comes out on DVD (missed it in the theatre...)

Bentagon
10-11-2007, 05:56 PM
May I remind you that Pixar already announced that they are going into live-action. Bird's next project will be live-action with Pixar.
It wouldn't surprise me if this turns out to be live-action too. Either way, I hope it'll be something unique.

robcat2075
10-12-2007, 02:39 AM
If Pixar is itching to do an adult movie, I still wish they'd do it all-animated.

ImageMovers doing "Performance Capture" will get the animation halfway there.

I can't imagine Pixar outsourcing the creation of their performances to a motion capture house.

What would they expect the animators to do with "halfway there" mo-cap.

I'll file that under "wild speculation"

spaz8
10-21-2007, 04:48 PM
This project has been passed around for years.. i think it was first supposed to be made in teh mid 70's.. then latest issues when they tred to make it again a few years ago was that the director of sin city quit the Director's guild and could not be legally used.. so had to hire all new ppl and do re-writes.. I remember hearing Pixar was gonna do this a year or more ago.. cool to see its true.

Oddgit
10-22-2007, 09:47 AM
One of the Disney stock portfolios(i remember seeing a link and a post on it a whle back)had a schedule of upcomming movies for Pixar and Disney animation studios, i didnt pay too much attention to the Disney Animation stuff, just the Pixar stuff. It had a tiny picture of Wall•E in i before the trailer and the list was 2008 Wall•E, 2009 John Carter of Mars and 2010 Toy Story 3. Which would be totally cool, Brad Bird said he wants to do live action, John Carter of Mars would bea great live action movie, and i think mr Bird could do a fantastic adaptation of it.

here is a link to the IMDB post for John Carter of Mars
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/

there is also a post for Toy Story 3 but you have to be an IMDBPro user to read it :/

silvia
10-22-2007, 04:56 PM
If Pixar is itching to do an adult movie, I still wish they'd do it all-animated.

I can't imagine Pixar outsourcing the creation of their performances to a motion capture house.

What would they expect the animators to do with "halfway there" mo-cap.

I'll file that under "wild speculation"

OMG, you don't even say "motion capture" out loud in Pixar, it is considered worse language than the f-word.

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2007, 04:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.