PDA

View Full Version : Rendering issues. again...

thedesolateone
10-08-2007, 01:08 PM
heIm posting here as a last resort, I've been trying for 5days straight now and I cant get a decent render. Im losing it.

I prepared a portfolio for myself using AE7, 5mins. 25fps 1280x720.
In RAMpreview everything is perfect, but when it comes to rendering its getting jerky.
90percent of the render is ok, but there are few scenes (important ones too) where theres just too much movement and both the video and audio stutters.

I tried using, quicktime sorenson 3 (best quality 25fps), swf export.

And here is another thing. I will be sending this video to universities abroad for my masters program, so I need a file format thats good for playback at any computer. Otherwise Id just be sending them a blank cd.

I would be glad if someone could help me out.

thedesolateone
10-09-2007, 12:22 PM
ok I just saw the sticky post, then rendered uncompressed out of AE and got a massive 18gb mov. Then used quicktime pro to convert into h264 but the colors seem to lighten in a very obvious way. Then I tried it with sorenson 3, same thing. Animation works smoothly, the file size is down to 600mb (on the best quality) but the blacks look grey! and theres no option for me to play with it.
What do you recommend? rendering another uncompressed mov? but how would I know how to compensate, it cant be exact?

thnx

m|3
10-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi thedesolateone...

Are you playing back the rendered file (600mb or 18GB) on your computer via a media player like QT? If the answer is yes, then probably the jerk occurs because the player can't handle the file size.

I advise you get the file into an editing program for playback to see if the jerk still occurs.

Since your final destination is for admission reviews, I'd also advise you put your portfolio on a dvd as DVD Video. This would ensure smooth playback on any computer or dvd player -- assuming the jerk problem has been rectified.

scrimski
10-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Animation works smoothly, the file size is down to 600mb (on the best quality) but the blacks look grey

It's an QT gamma issue, use the search function, this has been discussed a few times before.

As for your size: A lower bitrate will result in a lower filesize. Depending on your resolution anything between 5000 kBit/s and 3500 kB/s is worth trying. You may also to consider lowering the framerate when encoding.

beenyweenies
10-09-2007, 07:18 PM
If you want a preview version of the video, try using Quicktime Pro to create an MPEG-4 from your uncompressed master. I would suggest a bitrate of around 800-1200 or so, and you can even use half the frame rate of the master source video if needed to get the size down. MPEG-4 looks great, has small file sizes and does not suffer from color shifts like Sorenson/h.264 can.

For delivery to universities, I absolutely agree that you should create a DVD of your reel - don't send out encoded clips because there is too great a possibility that they won't have the right player/codec etc. to watch it, and your video will be tossed aside.

For this, I would use a DVD authoring program to make the DVD, ideally DVD Studio Pro (Mac), Adobe Encore or Sony DVD (both PC). Just feed the DVD authoring program your master uncompressed file, and it will create all the necessary files from that.

thedesolateone
10-09-2007, 11:04 PM
thanks a lot guys!
its a great idea to send DVD version to the universities. I hope I wont lose the quality of the reel while converting though... Because the reel has a lot of detailed work in it, it has the be top notch quality.

I will buy adobe encore tomorrow and see what happens.
thanks again!!

thedesolateone
10-10-2007, 02:01 AM
hang on, will i be able to get 1280x720 25fps best quality (I really need this quality not a tad less) playback on DVD?
because ive been doing some reading now and I find that resolution and quality is quite impossible to maintain on DVD video?

beenyweenies
10-10-2007, 05:14 PM
hang on, will i be able to get 1280x720 25fps best quality (I really need this quality not a tad less) playback on DVD?
because ive been doing some reading now and I find that resolution and quality is quite impossible to maintain on DVD video?

The DVD spec only allows 720x480 video. At this point your best option is to nest your 1280x720 project in a 720x480 composition, where it will appear letterboxed, or a 720x480 widescreen pixel aspect ration comp.

As for your DVD quality concerns, compressing your video for distribution is a fact of life, better get used to it now and save yourself the heartache. Any project destined for television or the web is going to be compressed and/or duplicated multiple times, and therefore lose some detail. Your best defense is to avoid graphics with extremely fine detail that will be lost. This is standard procedure in broadcast design anyway, so again, get used to it.

When outputting your DVD from Encore it should ask for min/max bitrate settings. The ideal settings for a high quality disc are:

Minimum Bitrate -6,000kbps
Maximum Bitrate -7,000kbps

DON'T try to push the bitrate above 7,000kpbs whatever you do. The quality gains beyond that are minimal and such a high bitrate causes a lot of DVD players to fail in reading the disc and/or skip badly.

thedesolateone
10-10-2007, 05:25 PM
First of all thank you for the quick and extremely useful tips, really thanks a lot..

I just got my hands on adobe encore, installing it now..
Im hoping that I finish this thing tonight and send it tomorrow, deadline is in a few days!

ok installation over!
fingers crossed...

thedesolateone
10-11-2007, 01:40 AM
ok I used encore created a dvd with the specifications indicated above, tried it on a couple of computers, it runs smoothly, colors seem ok, the resolution quality sucks tho. I got heaps of fine art and illustration work on the portfolio and they look terrible. but hey! I might have an idea..

How about I make a flash dvd? Like those cd's when you put it in the cdrom runs automatically even if you dont have flash installed, because its actually an .exe file.
This is of course assuming that I'll get a good quality with flash (but i think it will be much more better than dvd)

So that way Im thinking I can get the best quality and since its an exe it will work on every computer.

What do you say, is it doable?

thanks

beenyweenies
10-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Of course it IS doable, but there are questions you might want to ponder:

1. Will the end user be willing to fire up a CDROM to view your work when all the other reels they receive are on DVD?

2. Will the user have a computer fast enough to handle it? If for some reason they don't, is this situation better than some of your fine lines being less than perfect on a DVD?

3. Will the user be on mac or PC? Are you willing (or have time) to develop a dual-platform CDROM that functions for both platforms? .exe files don't work on Macs, after all

4. Do you have time to go this route? Building out an interactive CDROM is not just a simple one hour operation like creating a DVD is.

5. Does it really matter? No admissions or other university rep is going to look at your DVD and think "hmmm, those fine lines aren't crystal clear, let's reject this guy." They get enough reels that they will be able to adequately judge your work even if the image quality isn't pristine HD. They MIGHT, on the other hand, get annoyed if they have to jump through any hoops just to view your work, which could happen if you send a Flash-based CDROM.

m|3
10-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Exactly what beenyweenies wrote. Consider that advice.

thedesolateone
10-11-2007, 09:37 PM
well theres pretty much nothing to say to this argument, you're right...

no need to bother with the flash. ill send them the dvd + the quicktime version (labeled high-quality, so if they have want they can try checking out the hd version.

thanks for the advice..
saved me from a great deal of unnecessary effort.

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2007, 09:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.