PDA

View Full Version : Espace Parallele, Arch Viz, Still from Demo, Louis Choinière (3D)

LouisCho
10-08-2007, 04:13 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/128626/128626_1191816795_medium.jpg

Title: Espace Parallele, Arch Viz, Still from Demo
Name: Louis Choinière
Software: 3ds max, AutoCAD, mental ray, Photoshop

HI, I just finished my architectural visualisation demoreel. It was made with autocad, 3ds max 9. and render with mental ray. Theses are some stills from the animation reel. You can watch it on my website at www.espaceparallele.com or on low quality stream on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fcXbS-JMoo

Any critics are welcome
You can also download some .obj models from my website.

Thanks
Louis Choiniere

wowbaggin
10-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Overall, nice work. I feel the last two pieces (starting with the bathroom) are definitely your strongest in terms of lighting and rendering.

The first piece is a little confusing in terms of presentation. We start with the exterior, which is fine, but then go into the breakdown of the interior, minus the staircase. Because there's no staircase hinting at a second floor I'm not even certain these are the same model. Also, the showing of the wireframe seems a little unnecessary, especially since it's so fast and our view is so far away it's hard to tell anything about your modeling technique from it. The transition just before the wireframe however (i guess adding global illumination?) is very nicely done. If you want to include a wireframe view it may be more effective when we're panning through the interior.

But anyway, the modeling looks very nice with lots of detail on pretty much everything. The lighting on the 2 interior shots starting at 1:04 could use a little improvement, as they seem... overly bright yellow. On the second of the two shots the couch itself seems to be glowing, which probably isn't what you were going for. Otherwise though, very nice lighting. And again, the last two pieces are great. The timelapse on the final model is a nice touch as well.

LouisCho
10-10-2007, 04:11 PM
thanks a lot, I'll try to improve these points

craftycurate
11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
The strength of your images is the modelling, but maybe a modified lighting could bring out the best in your work.

For example, in the living room example, the ambient lighting level is too high and it has a strong yellow cast. You can see the bleaching on the sofa - from experience this can mean that your materials are too saturated or too reflective, which in combination with global illumination or radiosity means bright patches where edges meet. Also, under the sofa the light is too bright, which probably comes from the same cause.

In the second two pictures the ambient lighting is too high, and this creates a flat look. Maybe better to include some directional lighting to create shadows and contrast. At the moment it isn't clear where the lighting is coming from, which also creates a flat kind of look.

The bathroom has a better level of ambient lighting, and the contrast highlights the detail in your models and creates visual interest.

Also, the camera focal length in the living room image is not quite right - I suspect you used a short focal length to fit everything in without having to move the camera outside the room, but it does create a lot of distortion. Altough the eye can correct for this, it almost looks like the left hand wall is not vertical, though we know in reality it is.

The layout of the living room is nice - a good basis to work with, but would the bath be near the window?

Cheers
Richard

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.