PDA

View Full Version : FxWars! Water Balloon! : David Edwards

everlite
10-08-2007, 01:53 AM
Hey guys,

I'd like to give this one a shot, though seems a little beyond my understanding. Well just might learn something along the way :)

This is my first test: http://www.capturefx.co.uk/web/balloon1.mov

To be honest i really don't have a clue how i'm going to do this so bare with me while i learn how :)

To begin with i'm just using Max 9 with cloth and a Pbomb, any tips very welcome.

Thanks - Dave.

imtilongchar
10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
WOO! how did you do that? can you please tell me how you made the balloon tear away like that? looking forward to join the fxwar this time.
thank you.
Imti

everlite
10-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi Imti,

There's no precise answer to what i did, just lots of tweaking :) I used the cloth modifer bound to a Pbomb and just tweaked the cloth settings to see what worked well. To be honest prior to doing that i'd never used cloth before, just have a go and see what you can come up with :)

It's still far from looking right, just a test at this point.

- Dave.

tool2heal
10-09-2007, 02:04 AM
Did you tear the ballon manually at a certain frame and then continue simulation, or are there tear settings in the cloth properties that I am missing?

imtilongchar
10-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi Dave,
i have also been playing around with the cloth modifier, & my balloon sim' looks kinda funny, i will post my progress soon.
And thanks alot & all the best.
Imti.

RobertoOrtiz
10-09-2007, 03:29 PM
I have added an OBJ Model for the challenge.
Check the main thread for details
-R

everlite
10-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks Roberto, that's great.

- Dave.

everlite
10-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Did you tear the ballon manually at a certain frame and then continue simulation, or are there tear settings in the cloth properties that I am missing?

Hi Jason,

Welcome to CGtalk :)

I cut the sphere manually and did a transition between frames from one sphere to the simulated sphere. So from say 0-5 i had one sphere, then that disappears, then on frame 6 the simulated sphere appears (pre-cut) at the point it explodes/tears.

To be honest i'm sure there's an easier or more effective way of doing this, i'd heard somewhere once that there was a tear feature somewhere in the cloth modifer but i can't seem to find it.

Hope that helps,

- Dave.

jigu
10-09-2007, 04:15 PM
same approach i tried to do it.( u can check my wip ...though test is very quick and basic)

I tried with reactor cloth but i played with cloth modifier and it works like a charm :) .

Hmm you used pbomb. i thought you used pbomb to fragment the sphere in pieces. btw did you try meshbomb with sphere and cloth? i never tried it yet... been busy with rendering archi. interior renders.

everlite
10-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Hmm you used pbomb. i thought you used pbomb to fragment the sphere in pieces. btw did you try meshbomb with sphere and cloth? i never tried it yet... been busy with rendering archi. interior renders.

Hmmm, no I just used pbomb just to drive the motion of the cloth, no real thought. I'll give meshbomb a try and see what i can come up with.. Thanks :)

I've got some free time today so i'll spend a few hours on this and see what i can come up with.

- Dave. :)

everlite
10-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Hey guys,

I was just tweaking around with the sim, seeing if i can get it more rubbery ..

http://www.capturefx.co.uk/web/balloon2.mov (increased speed 100% in AE)

I'm not quite sure if this is the way to go, whenever i increase the frame rate i begin to get unexpected results in the sim. So not too sure how to get the slow mo effect.
- Dave.

BadG3r
10-10-2007, 07:28 AM
hey david!

nice start. maybe you could bake the animation and then remap time.

greets.

ps hope i ll be able to participate to this looks like fun

RobertoOrtiz
10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
FXWars! Water Balloon! - 2 WEEKS TO GO! (Dateline is November 7th ) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=553406) Just a heads up
-R

simonjaap
10-29-2007, 11:57 PM
When a balloon pops the remaining parts shrink very fast to their original size, which is very small compared to the balloon. try making the ruption more explosive and making the remaining parts shrink very fast.

good luck!

everlite
10-30-2007, 12:55 AM
When a balloon pops the remaining parts shrink very fast to their original size, which is very small compared to the balloon. try making the ruption more explosive and making the remaining parts shrink very fast.

good luck!

Thanks man, though i've had to stick this one on hold for the mo, tight deadlines, though hopefully i'll be able to pick it up the last few days.

RobertoOrtiz
11-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Heads up!

FXWARS Water Balloon!: The voting thread will be posted this FRIDAY... (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=557989)

-R

RobertoOrtiz
12-04-2007, 04:26 PM
It is time to talk about the current challenge:
LESSONS LEARNED (Water Balloon): Lets TalK! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=568980) (link)
Would love to hear your input

-R

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2007, 04:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.