PDA

View Full Version : What software does your school teach for 3D?

Redturtle
10-06-2007, 03:23 PM
I don't want this to be a Maya vs Max thread, I'm just curious to what 3d software people are learning at their schools, and what school and what major.

I'm at camden county college (new jersey), learning Maya in the "game design" program.

JeroenDStout
10-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Here in the Netherlands at the School of the Arts in Utrecht we get 3ds Max for the study GameDesign & Development... we'd get both Max and Maya, but people complained about it being a waste of time and Maya (being the 2nd we'd learn) got scrapped.

Stinkfist
10-06-2007, 05:13 PM
We use 3Ds Max and Zbrush, but you are free to use any software you like as long as it gets your assignments done.

Redturtle
10-08-2007, 02:42 AM
What school do you go to Kaftan, and what is your major?

beaker
10-08-2007, 05:12 AM
I learned Power Animator 7 and Soft3d 3.5 in school :) Oh yea, also forgot about 3d Studios v3.

erilaz
10-08-2007, 05:43 AM
I learned Power Animator 7 and Soft3d 3.5 in school :) Oh yea, also forgot about 3d Studios v3.

Modelling it up old school! :D

We were taught 3ds Max 3.0 "back in the day", but like Kaftan we were were free to use what we liked for assignments.

trthing
10-08-2007, 06:33 AM
ProGraf 1991

JamesMK
10-08-2007, 07:59 AM
We actually had to code our own 3D software, in assembler, on the school's PDP-11.

Then again, when I say "school"... it was just a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpaulin, but it was a school to us.

nickmarshallvfx
10-08-2007, 09:25 AM
At University of Teeside, UK, I was taught XSI in my first year. That will continue into the second year, alth
ough we are allowed to use Maya if we prefer (but they prefer you use XSI still). Maya facilities are available to use from the moment we start univeristy though, so you can learn it, you just have to do assignments in XSI.

That is on the Digital Visual Effects course here. Of course because I am on a visual effects course I also have access to Massive, Realflow etc, and pretty much any software I can think of. You just have to take some initiative and learn it yourself :)

Nick

Dennik
10-08-2007, 11:57 AM
I think we used Autodesk Animator Pro the first semester, and then we got into 3D Studio (Dos version). Hope that helps.

ienrdna
10-08-2007, 12:14 PM
my school doesent teach 3d:sad:

Stinkfist
10-08-2007, 04:35 PM
What school do you go to Kaftan, and what is your major?

Senior year at the University of Gotland, Im taking Game Development with a major in Computer Graphics.

Locutus
10-08-2007, 04:47 PM
We use 3ds Max in the courses I teach at our highschool technology center.
I also teach it at a local community college as part of the students' visual communications degree.

bentllama
10-08-2007, 05:08 PM
forget the software, focus on traditional skills first.

JesseGraffam
10-08-2007, 05:25 PM
SCAD Mainly teaches Maya, Softimage XSI, Zbrush, 3DSMax (for game design major), Houdini, and Renderman. You learn a bunch of other great progs too that are editing and compositing tools. It's a 4 year program so you will come out pretty well rounded.

HellBoy
10-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Its primarily Maya, but Max is installed.

Stinkfist
10-08-2007, 06:08 PM

We do a lot of traditional drawing at our Uni, we've done everything from perspective to sculpting and colour theory.

[TOY]Snoop
10-08-2007, 06:50 PM
We were learned Lightwave. Started out with LW 3.5, long time ago :)
Lightwave is still being learned there (Hogeschool Genk, Belgium)

AmyScott-Murray
10-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Basic Maya and after effects, and we have really great life-drawing classes. After a few introductory lectures the maya is kind of 'figure it out yourself and we'll help if you need it'.

Locutus
10-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Quoted for agreement.

amannin
10-08-2007, 09:59 PM
well, i wouldn't go as far as teach -- but the software we had available to us was mixed versions of Maya, 6.5-8...

simoncheng
10-09-2007, 03:27 AM
mine use IRONCAD. major in cad.
very quick and easy to learn. much more well friendly user compare to other.
feel free to check up the web-site too.

Redturtle
10-09-2007, 03:47 AM
wow nice to see this thread blew up. as far as traditional skills, i completely understand they're key. i dont disagree. but you have to go somewhere from there! and I'm already learning maya in school, but i know max a lot better and prefer it. it seems like more people are learning maya in school though, and I'm curious to see if the industry is learning that way.

I know comparable programs at my friends schools are teaching Maya.

Drexel in Philadelphia, PA = Maya
The College of New Jersey, NJ = Maya

Anyway, keep going guys, what schools and programs are you in, and what 3d software do they teach?

MrNovak
10-09-2007, 03:50 AM
Maya at my university.

Redturtle
10-09-2007, 04:01 AM
MrNovak, Maya at what University and what's the program they teach 3D in?

Scott31
10-09-2007, 04:24 AM
Stark State College of Technolgy in North Canton, OH - 3ds Max

I'd love to hear more of an expansion on why to "forget the software". I've been drawing my whole life and consider myself an artist, not an IT man. Still I can't use a program well unless I've been in it for a year. I'm also curious as to what traditional art skills really means. I've heard this advice many times by industry pros who know way better than I do but they never say all what that means exactly. If I'm doing something to slow my development then by all means let me know. I thought at one point that I should learnt he likes of Maya, XSI, and C4D on my own thinking it would help me get a job. Is this not true?

If it's not too far off the subject...

jakobhuff
10-09-2007, 04:30 AM
Raleigh School of Communication Arts - Maya

MasterZap
10-09-2007, 06:42 AM
We actually had to code our own 3D software, in assembler, on the school's PDP-11.

Then again, when I say "school"... it was just a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpaulin, but it was a school to us.

You are probably joking, but I really did write my own 3D software.

The first was in BASIC, on a Swedish ABC80 computer, which I later jazzed up by putting in the much cooler BASIC interpreter from the newer ABC800, and then I built my own graphics card using simple TTL circuits, a VERY EXPENSIVE static memory chip of 32K (K, kilobytes, yes, 32768 bytes of memory - huge for it's time), which gave me the super high resolution graphics of 240x240 pixels in 16 shades of gray, but it was better than the standard 78x72 "sugarcube" sized pixels in white OR black the machine had natively! ;)

/Z

Boone
10-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Re: MasterZap & JamesMK.

I would imagine that being capable of writting your own 3D package(especially in Assembly) would immedietly grant you the title of shit-hot programmer.

I'm always kicking around the idea of having a bash at it myself...:)

MasterZap
10-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Re: MasterZap & JamesMK.

I would imagine that being capable of writting your own 3D package(especially in Assembly) would immedietly grant you the title of shit-hot programmer.

I'm always kicking around the idea of having a bash at it myself...:)

Wha? I though everyone had written at least a raytracer, at minimum capable of the "mirrored sphere on checkered plane" image ;)

http://www.cs.tut.fi/%7Etgraf/harjoitustyot/tutorial/image11.1.jpg

/Z

Kabab
10-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Wha? I though everyone had written at least a raytracer, at minimum capable of the "mirrored sphere on checkered plane" image ;)

http://www.cs.tut.fi/%7Etgraf/harjoitustyot/tutorial/image11.1.jpg

/Z
:eek::eek::eek: sneak preview of MR 4.0 !!!

We learnt some 2d dos based animation program animator pro?? and 3ds dos 2..

Ahh the joys of rendering with 8mb ram!

MasterZap
10-09-2007, 08:08 AM
:eek::eek::eek: sneak preview of MR 4.0 !!!

ROFL. I didn't even make that image (methinks that was POVRay).

The RayTracer I actually wrote back then (which was later ported to PC) was named RayTracker (http://forums.cgsociety.org/www.z4p.com/rtk.html), and a couple of surviving pictures (whoah, NOT ;) ) from 1990'ish are here:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/%7Ezap/rtk/waxfloor.jpg

http://www.lysator.liu.se/%7Ezap/rtk/2bikes.jpg

http://www.lysator.liu.se/%7Ezap/rtk/kaphe1.jpg

;)

(Threadjacking ends here, I guess ;) )

/Z

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2007, 08:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.