PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Images Offers In-Depth Character Training Series for LightWave 3D

lildragon
04-08-2003, 11:18 AM
All the juicy tidbits located here http://www.3dfestival.com/story.php?story_id=1027

salud!

Howzat
04-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Sweet, there is no such thing as too much training material!

Sil3
04-08-2003, 01:37 PM
Todd Grimes :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Sil3

Scandell
04-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Excellent work....very informative

onlooker
04-08-2003, 06:23 PM
I wish I knew if these shipped yet. I preordered.:buttrock:

ClingFree
04-08-2003, 07:45 PM
I did too. Did anybody get next day air. If they were shipped Friday like they were supposed to someone should have received them by today. I ordered mine second day air and it doesn't look like I will get them today.:thumbsdow Here is hoping tomorrow will be theday.:scream:

addicted2_3D
04-08-2003, 09:24 PM
So how much does this set cost? I couldn't find the price on the html link provided. Looks very cool, must be 4digits. Anyone in the LA area whose getting it, perhaps we could split the costs or someting? Just thought I'd offer

addicted2_3D
04-08-2003, 09:27 PM
wow I just found the cost, its pretty affordable!

onikaze
04-08-2003, 10:59 PM
Hmm

I also ordered 2nd day air but I didn't get them today either.
Last night I shot off an email to DI to ask if they had, or when they would begin shipping , But they haven't replied yet.

I lwft work early today from not feeling well and I thought I would be able to spend the day resting and watching these but no luck.
Well I hope they get here soon but tommorow I'll be at The Alex Lindsay classs/seminar in Pittsburgh (wonder if anyone else is going).

I'll post here as soon as I recieve mine, btw

later

robinson
04-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Thatís what they told me last friday.
-----

Desktop Images
We just started shipping today.
Ētoday was 02:19 PM (california time, is it WesternPacificTime " -> WPT) 4/4/2003.Ē
-----
I ordered LW last year and the shipping was pretty fast (to Germany), there where just the damn tax and customs that really sucked !!! :cry:

:twisted: HEHEHE (you no the crazy evil laugh) :twisted:, no tax and customs this time, a friend is smuggling it over.

ClingFree
04-09-2003, 12:00 AM
I just received notice in reply to my email that mine shipped yesterday and will be here tomorrow by 4:30 through FedEx.:bounce:

erikals
04-09-2003, 12:52 AM
...hmm....

Should I get these ones or should I wait for Jeffrey Lew's DVDs??
I know Jeff's tutorial is not ment for LW, but he was the lead animator for Matrix Reloaded. Being a Lightwaver it's a hard choice, what do you guys think? I guess maybe I'll go for Jeff's as he said that he will try to price it so it doesn't cost more than a playstation game. Hope that is true... bad thing is that it's not released before 2-3 months.

Links,
http://www.3dfestival.com/story.php?story_id=821
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47076
http://www.jefflew.com/

Erik

minus
04-09-2003, 01:41 AM
Be sure to post here when you see the quality / pace / explainability of these DVD's. -- A few of em for sure interest me. :thumbsup:

facial
04-09-2003, 01:55 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :thumbsup:

private
04-09-2003, 02:20 AM
They looked good, so I bought 'em. I'm waiting for them too, but Desktop Images are very unreliable when they give shipping dates.

I'll watch them about 3 or 4 times, and then done. If anyone wants to wait a month or so, I'll be selling mine. I'm not the kind of person that needs to put 'em on the shelf. If you can wait, you will be able to snap them up used. I'll pay the premium to see them earlier. Just private message me sometime in the future.

onlooker
04-09-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by ClingFree
I just received notice in reply to my email that mine shipped yesterday and will be here tomorrow by 4:30 through FedEx.:bounce:

I still await my email reply.

Can you tell I'm anxious?:bounce:

3dSnail
04-09-2003, 02:58 AM
does anyone now how i can order it? i live in melbourne, australia

robinson
04-09-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by 3dSnail
does anyone now how i can order it? i live in melbourne, australia

Just go the homepage http://www.desktopimages.com/CharSeries.shtml
Add to card, then you will be ask about the shipping options, for you international (the shipping will be 29.50 $). Thatís all.

Accidentally I will get two complete sets, so if somebody in Europe whatís to buy one set, just send a message. But you need to wait until May. :beer:

moovieboy
04-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by 3D Festival's site
The set of 5 DVDs, including Head Modeling, Body Modeling, Model Rigging, Facial Animation, and Body Animation, is available for a suggested retail price of US$ 314.75. Individual DVDs are available for a suggested retail price of US$ 69.95 each.

No disrespect (honestly!), but in my opinion this is an absurd amount to pay. And I equally apply this opinion to all of the other training DVDs that are so expensive...

I mean, we freely give out our help in these forums, countless folks have posted free tutorials on the web .... also, most of the books covering our field(s) are in the US$40-$70 range. These training videos, by comparison, are like charging that amount per chapter!:surprised

And, not to be a wise-ass, but having someone shoot video of you doing what you can do in your sleep is not as difficult as writing a 400+ page book.

I know, I'm grossly oversimplifying the process and the costs involved in producing/distributing these videos. However, I fail to see why so many of these are priced so staggeringly out of the reach of a vast portion of their target audience.

How exactly does a student (or, in my case, a husband) justify dropping over $300 on something like this? Couldn't I buy every major book on Lightwave for the same amount?:shrug:

I guess I have a low tolerance when the price of these things equals a fair percentage of the cost of the software it's training you for...

Sigh. Sorry for trampling on anyone's toes here, but I can't be the only one who feels this way.

-Tom

samartin
04-09-2003, 07:54 AM
I think you have a fair point there, but... I for one can't stand reading, I find it far easier if I'm shown something to pick things up more or less straight away...

I think seeing the guy in action is going to be far more helpful plus you can have this side by side while modelling yourself without losing pages... but then I'm only interested in the rigging aspect so I find this a fair price...

just my 2c

PS. Can't wait to see some customer reviews on these products

takkun
04-09-2003, 08:14 AM
Actually, these DVD's are priced much cheaper then most training DVD's out there.

The main advantage is that you can usually learn more in two hours watching someone using the program then you could reading a book for two hours. I find it invaluable to see how someone else does their thing.

Namroth
04-09-2003, 09:06 AM
To expensive for this DVD's, if it was $150 than it is a good price but not over $300.

onlooker
04-09-2003, 09:14 AM
I agree with the last 3 posts almost.
1) It's Expensive
2) It's better than reading a book
3) The price is average. BUT --->-->->

I think that for 15, or 16 hours of training it is less expensive. Most DVD's are 100 minutes, or so. There must me 5 hours per title which is a good price at the going rate.

These things cost money to press, and DVD format is the best. I cant stand anything less because they always looks like crap.

On the other hand. If the DVD's costed about 19.95 ea. like a new movie release I think a ton more would be sold, and could cover cost, and produce more profits IMO. Maybe someone will try that approach with a great looking set sometime.

This set is a perfect example, because it covers a spacific area with great length to it. It looks it could be the best set of lightwave DVD training (area spacific) so far. We'll see, but the packaging, and product presentation are outstanding.

:)

[EDIT] Well I was wrong about the length, but They are still fairly long.

ClingFree
04-09-2003, 01:40 PM
I purchased the series for $269. It was a pre-release purchase. I really enjoyed Todd Grime's free tutorials and didn't think twice about spending the money for the series. I think he is one of the best wavers out there. I really enjoy his style and look forward to his tips and tricks. If you look at his work I'm sure most would feel the same as I do. I will let you know today for sure about the DVDs. I should have them this afternoon. I have no doubt that I will not be disappointed!

GeneralChaos
04-09-2003, 01:45 PM
I agree with moovieboy on this one. I mean if I was some professional guy, I would get a good feeling out of just making tutorials and even video tutorials for free online, to help out the community. I know hes tryin to make a buck but it is a little expensive. Im not saying DVD training is bad or anything, I havnt tried any of them, but id sure like some for 3d max. The only thing is I also dont want to spend almost 400 on them, I would definately spend some hours searching the internet to download them. Same deal if I actually bought the things, I know some kid out there like me wants to learn badly but has NO way to afford the things, so id let him get a pirated copy off of me, even tho I had to pay. It would make me feel good just to help someone out.

IDownupI
04-09-2003, 01:49 PM
Cool

takkun
04-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Just got mine today, I've only had a chance to skim through them but from what I've seen, they're amazing! Thanks Todd!

ClingFree
04-10-2003, 12:20 AM
I got your email onlooker, but I figured I would just post here. The tapes are amazing. He gets down to every detail. I have completely watched the modeling and rigging DVDs. The modeling answered a lot of questions I had on how he created his characters...including the one he freely distributed a while ago. Unbelievable...if you liked his free tutorial on rigging you will love the rigging DVD. He shows exactly what he does with weight maps that I couldn't tell what was done with his "free" tutorial. I skimmed the body animation DVD. It was just too cool. He build a superhero (as you can tell from the desktop images site) and shows exactly how to animate this short scene. I wish I could say more, but I have to get back to watching these incredible DVDs!:applause:
I would be happy to answer any specific questions that would not infringe on the copyright.

Nando
04-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Hmm.. Expensive??

I don't think so....

On the average 1 day of training for any multimedia application is about $500.00 US.

8 hours or so, and if you didn't grasp the concept during the training well there is no Rewind or Pause ;)

Also, knowledge that is passed on in training series like these, isn't just the "this button does that" format, but more of a insight of worklfow/technigues that could only be gained via spending time in the industry with great knowledgeable artist if lucky.

When I was a punk kid I did my tour of internships to try, and just sit in front of an Inferno system.
I became the do guy, do this, do that, and so forth, but if there was a DVD with insight to training on unattainable knowledge that can only be gained via industry work, you bet I would be buying as apposed to taking out the trash ;)

Now im just a Punk
:D

moovieboy
04-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Nando
Hmm.. Expensive??

I don't think so....

On the average 1 day of training for any multimedia application is about $500.00 US.

8 hours or so, and if you didn't grasp the concept during the training well there is no Rewind or Pause ;)

I don't mean to downplay the obvious benefits of these videos, most of which have been well stated here...

But I still maintain that asking for several hundred dollars for a set of videos OR $500 for one day of training are BOTH equally absurd if the software itself is only a few hundred more. Or worse, a few hundred LESS!

If we're talking about inferno* and similar six-figure items, then there's more reasonable room for training costs... But everytime I get another "Photoshop workshop" flyer for "only $500," that goes right into the trash.

My apologies, but I don't think anyone in our entire industry (which by its very nature is very collaborative and we all learned from each other) deserves to say "I'll tell you my secrets, but only for hundreds of dollars from EACH of you."

Just my opinion... as usual :D

-Tom

ClingFree
04-10-2003, 11:13 PM
I think there is something to videos that you will never be able to recreate in books. I have to disagree in that I would happily pay a professional for his "secrets". I really love Evil Plan's work, so I had no problem with paying $269 to go through modeling, rigging and animation a whole scene step by step. Maybe some of you are just further along than I am. I still regard this as an investment and cheap at that. How many industry pros (any industry) do you think you could get to do this kind of work for this money. I guess everything is truly relative. I just have to say that Todd goes through this model start to finish, rigs it, and animates it. He doesn't skip anything. There is nothing left to interpretation. There are also no misinterpretations of what he is doing and if there is a mistake made you hear him and see him go through the undo and correct the problem. This is the best investment I have made in Lightwave at this point. I have purchased a lot of training material and this is my favorite. Although I do like Paul's training at Lost Pencil and would not give those CDs up especially at the pricing structure Paul created, but I am blown away with Todd's DVDs. I am not affiliated at all with Todd Grimes or Evil Plan Studios. I do admit I am an admirer of their work. This is exactly what I have been looking for in my last year of studying Lightwave. Sorry to be so long winded...I am just very excited about the product!

onlooker
04-11-2003, 12:33 AM
I wish mine would show up. I'm drooling over here.:drool:

I totally agree with what ClingFree said; mostly because it's a fact that a workshop will show you all sorts of great stuff for 500 bucks, but how much can you retain? Having Todd in DVD form is a fantastic way to learn. Knowing it's Todd you get high quality instruction in a high quality format that you can watch again, and again. If I ever get as good as Todd I'm going to do the same thing because I think it's a valuable recourse that needs to be shared; like the internet itself.

Thanks Todd. :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.