PDA

View Full Version : Chaning the size of viewport icons

Navstar
10-06-2007, 03:58 AM
I notice Nulls have controls over the shape and size of how they are displayed.
Do lights and cameras have similar controls?

Some FBX imported scenes have odd scaling of scene elements. And while I realize they have no affect on how the render looks, it does make it difficult to manipulate them. (For example a scene where 20 lights whose giant star shapes completely obsure my view)

LucentDreams
10-06-2007, 05:57 AM
no there isn't sadly, that said, if your scene is coming in so that the lights appear as giant stars, then your import settings are no good because that scene is coming in way too small. Idela scale in cinema is in relation to a 200m cube. for dynamics and lighting etc you want to make sure your key elements are around the same scale as cubes, so a character should be around 5-7 cubes tall for ideal hair dynamics and ideal lighting, if its a city scene that maybe cars are one cube long, or perhaps one floor is equal to one cube etc.

Navstar
10-07-2007, 01:06 AM
That would be a nice feature in a future version. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w134/navstar/CINEMA-4DSnapz001-20-00-04.gif

Per-Anders
10-07-2007, 01:11 AM
As Kai says your scene is far too small. Group the whole thing in a Null and scale the null up, then ungroup the result (or make sure to import with the correct scale settings in the first place).

Dtox
10-07-2007, 03:44 AM
Interesting to know...

Navstar
10-07-2007, 11:42 PM
As Kai says your scene is far too small. Group the whole thing in a Null and scale the null up, then ungroup the result (or make sure to import with the correct scale settings in the first place).

I work with Maya artists who give me scenes in FBX. My FBX import is at 100%. Are they building scenes too small? It seems like I need to scale everything to about another 100x to make them look right.

Per-Anders
10-07-2007, 11:48 PM
You can set the scaling factor in your Import Preferences inside of Cinema 4D.

tcastudios
10-07-2007, 11:49 PM
In Preferences ->Import/Export set Import and export scale values that works with your mates.
Ask for a normal simple scene from them. Open it in Cinema and see what scale would be good for you.
Then export and find out what scale you should export so the scene opens in your mates app at the original size.

Cheers
Lennart

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2007, 11:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.