PDA

View Full Version : HCR MINI-Challenge #11: HALLOWEEN MONSTERS

RobertoOrtiz
10-05-2007, 09:08 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a314/JakkaS/Vampire-Lord-VER2_d.jpgCONCEPT ART BY JakkaS

Jakub Kasper
Wągrowiec, Poland

Model a fantastic character an animatable character creature based on concept art.

Imagine you have been comissioned to model a character for a new MMO called

Monster Realm.

Now show it to us.

First check out the concept art we have gathered so far...
Challenge #11 CONCEPT ART - Halloween (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=547160)(link)

THE CHALLENGE:___________________________

Sculpt, in a period of 1 month and two weeks, one or more 3D representations of a fantastic character and or creature based on the concept art. For this challenge the flow of the geometry is importan becuase the character should be ready for an animation rig. (And MAYBE we will RIG amd animate the monster in separate challenges..more on that later..ask me more about this)

The idea of this "mini-challenge" is to simulate an impossible deadline for a project. The artists will have at their discretion how detailed the models they will be working on, what program they will be using, the amount of models, and if the models will be shaded/ rigged. But the model will have to be original interpretation of a fantastic creature based on concept art.

A big part of the challenge is that the modeler will have to sculpt the model basedon the concept art of the creature he or she wishes to model.Any questions about the creature should be asked to the artist who created the monster, who is no obligation to answer them. But at the end of the challenge the final model will have to look like a scene that we might see in a rendered cut scene for a Next gen game.

Some of the types of entries I would like to see all

from the following clans:

DRACO Clans
WOLF Clan
OPACUS Clan
ANUBIS Clan
NETHER REGIONS Creatures
MISC Creatures:
There are Three ways to participate:

Category I: Single Character : You may sculpt an creature with NO environment.
Some examples:

A Vampire Lord
A Vampire hunter with all his gear
A Werewolf mid transformation

Category II: Single character Diorama: You may sculpt the creature inside the appropriate environment.

Some diorama examples:

A Guillman entering a lake
The Frakenstein monster in the lab

Category III: Multiple character Diorama: You may do multiple creatures inside the appropriate environment

THE CHALLENGE:___________________________

So lets recap....
Sculpt an original 3d character/scene scenes based on CONCEPT ART.

The idea of this "mini-challenge" is to simulate an impossible deadline for a project. The artists will have at their discretion how detailed the models they will be working on, and the amount of models, and if the models will be shaded and or rigged.

The key is to sculpt good sculpting (good topology is a must)based on the provided concept art.

A big part of the challenge is that the modeler will have to work on work based on conceptt art. But at the end of the challenge the character has to look like the one shown on a Game opening.

CAN YOU DO IT?

What is the HARDCORE MODELING CHALLENGE?

The idea of these HARDCORE MINI CHALLENGES is to push the modeling skills participants while learning from the past. To get past preconceptions of the limits of digital art. To push digital artists into the world of sculptors & artisans. But we will have variety on these mini challenges. Sometimes we will sculpt a model based on a masterpiece, but on other times we might do Jet fighter or a landmark....

The only thing that will be consistent is the SHORT DEADLINES.

At the end of the challenge, the participant should have a finished collection of entries. Keep in mind contest of high difficulty you will have ONE MONTH and TWO WEEKS to do the challenge, but the rewards, even if you don't win, will be your improved skills in speed and accuracy.

EVALUATION CRITERIA:______________________

Detailed RESEARCH, and attention to detail are key for ALL entries. Please before doing an entry do your homework.

The best model will be selected by an open vote
for these categories:

Best Interaction Between CreaturesNEW!
Most Faithful to ConceptNEW!
Best Environment NEW!
Best WIP thread NEW!
Best Topology NEW!
Most Expressive Model
and the big one of course:

Best Overall Entry
The winner will get bragging rights and a small banner
designed by me.

DEADLINE! Friday , November 16th 12:00 PM

YOU HAVE ONE MONTH & TWO WEEKS do the challenge.

RULES:

No work taken DIRECTLY from an existing tutorial. You may use an existing tutorial only for reference.
You may NOT use a pre exiting models. All models must be done from scratch.
An artist may change from a Single, Multiple whenever he or she wishes.
You must start the model from scratch. No parametric models entries will be allowed(Poser). Also pre-made base meshes ARE NOT acceptable. The entries have to be done from scratch.
WIP images are NOT only encouraged, but they are required.
So if you start modeling with the box modeling method, we want to see the different stages of the construction of the model, from the base box to the finished model.
NEW RULE!: At least 10 WIP entries are REQUIRED for each model. If desired and animated sequence , done with Camtasia or a gif animation program should be enough to cover this rule.
WIP thread should be posted on the Hardcore Modeling Challenge (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=208) forum and should follow the following naming convention: HARDCORE MODELING!: HALLOWEEN MONSTERS: <<CLAN >>
The artist also has to post total length of time it took to do and program used.
Future topics for hardcore Challenges will be picked at random from the list on
this >>thread (http://the%20david%20signup%20list:20/teams) << (The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
Post on this thread your link to your WIP thread and your FINAL piece.
Only participants who follow the rules and submit a final entry will be eligible for the voting process.
Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
CHALLENGE SPECIFIC RULES:

The artist whose artwork you are basing your entry will get CREDIT for the creation of the creature.
The monster has to be based on NEW concept art created/ modified for this challenge.
The monsters have to be rigged with proper topology. For the current challenge Imagine you have been given a commission for a gaming company to create high resolution assets.
Humans can of your entry (Vampire hunters, vampires)
Creaturel hair, Fur & manes may be done using hair shaders or you may sculpt it
ALL MODELS will be done from scratch. Parametric entries will not be allowed.
Participants may do multiple entries.
You can sculpt your character in a neutral pose, rig it, and pose it OR you can sculpt your character in the desired pose. Your call.
High res sculpting and texturing is allowed
REQUIRED RENDERINGS:

ORTHOGRAPHIC RENDERINGS:
Orthographic renderings ARE REQUIRED for EACH TYPE of entry and should be rendered at 800 x 600 OR 600x800.

The Orthographic renderings should be rendered from TOP, SIDE, BOTTOM

WIREFRAMES:
A 3/4 wireframe renderings is REQUIRED for your entry of entry and should be rendered at 800 x 600 OR 600x800.
TURNTABLE ANIMATION (VOLUNTARY).

I recommend to aid the voters a turntable rendering of the model. It would have to be done in QuickTime or Windows Media at a resolution of 600 x 400 OR 300 x 200. The render might be done as a Quickshade or Beauty Render.

BEAUTY RENDER.BEAUTY RENDER:

For each image you should post:

Title of Model Completed[Model Images]
Comments
And should be posted on both the individual WIP thread on this master thread.

Final RENDERS should be rendered at 1600 X 1200 OR 1200 x 1600 in JPG format.(Post only as link) A smaller 800x 600 OR 600 x 800 image should be posted on the threads.Please add a brief text description about your piece.

REFERENCE:

Click on this thread for our collection of CONCEPT ART:
Challenge #11 CONCEPT ART - Halloween Monsters (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=547160)

morphius-ms
10-06-2007, 06:06 AM
Hey roberto,

So for this challenge are we supposed to make it for a gaming engine (low poly with normal maps)... or for the cinematics of the game (as many poly as we want)...

NoirQ
10-06-2007, 07:49 AM
perhaps the category should be something like best interaction between the creatures/environment? having just interaction between creatures kinda shafts you if you're only doing the one creature. i think that'd give people a chance to vote for a good pose with one dude (for example, some guy standing on a corpse or some such), just na thought anyway.
anywho, looking forward, i'll start sometime monday

TheRazorsEdge
10-06-2007, 08:35 AM
I agree with NoirQ, something like "Best Dynamic/Characteristic Pose" or like that would be more fitting for a one creature entry, I would say.

Also a "Most Accurate Concept Reproduction/Best Translation of Concept into 3D" category seems appropriate for this challenge.

aboannas
10-06-2007, 03:50 PM
I am ready for the challenge

RobertoOrtiz
10-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Hey roberto,

So for this challenge are we supposed to make it for a gaming engine (low poly with normal maps)... or for the cinematics of the game (as many poly as we want)...
Good question.

we are doing a model for Cinematics

perhaps the category should be something like best interaction between the creatures/environment? having just interaction between creatures kinda shafts you if you're only doing the one creature. i think that'd give people a chance to vote for a good pose with one dude (for example, some guy standing on a corpse or some such), just na thought anyway.
anywho, looking forward, i'll start sometime monday

I agree with NoirQ, something like "Best Dynamic/Characteristic Pose" or like that would be more fitting for a one creature entry, I would say.

Also a "Most Accurate Concept Reproduction/Best Translation of Concept into 3D" category seems appropriate for this challenge.

Hummm I like your ideas, any more suggestions?

TheRazorsEdge
10-07-2007, 06:58 AM
Hummm I like your ideas, any more suggestions?

Not really at this time! :)
Just a verbal refinement of my last category suggestion: "Most Faithful to Concept"

RO
10-10-2007, 04:47 AM
Damn why do the good ones always apear when School is at full swing :|

oliveira
10-10-2007, 06:26 AM
HI all

two questions ,
can i do my own concept and later sculpt it?
i will do the Gillman.

thanks

Alex

jojo1975
10-10-2007, 07:57 AM
well that seems very cool... I was doing a personal project but I tink I will be in this one ;) it's a good chance to learn a lot of things..
Zbrush I'm arriving :)

majid-smiley
10-10-2007, 10:46 AM
WOW ! i like it !...
my question is : model must be exact same as your concepts? or we can change them as our way ?

nielot
10-10-2007, 12:13 PM
my question is : model must be exact same as your concepts? or we can change them as our way ?
this same question :)

RobertoOrtiz
10-10-2007, 01:29 PM
this same question :)

As long as you can see the CORE design somewhere in there, I am ok.

-R

RubenDrakkar
10-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Mister Roberto:

I need to know if this character is with full body, or it can be also done like bust style as the concept, or half body. For the concepts I agree as well as the questions these competitors are stating, please answer this questions very soon.

Best Regards
Rubens

RobertoOrtiz
10-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Mister Roberto:

I need to know if this character is with full body, or it can be also done like bust style as the concept, or half body. For the concepts I agree as well as the questions these competitors are stating, please answer this questions very soon.

Best Regards
Rubens
That is a avery good question. (So much so that it is going into the FAQ.

You may do either a FULL BODY or a BUST. But both have to have good animation ready Topology.

-R

ChewyPixels
10-10-2007, 02:25 PM
WOW! :eek: Great challenge theme! I just have to get in on this one!

I have a 2-week project that I need to get out of the way first. After that, on for some fun!! :bounce:

DDS
10-10-2007, 05:31 PM
wow!!! concepts are awesome. Even if they are quick sketches there is so much good ideas :)

oliveira
10-11-2007, 03:27 AM
Roberto,

can i create and sculpt my own concept?

thanks

Alex

xerious3d
10-11-2007, 04:55 AM
Id love to take the chance to enter this one, ive kept my eye on these challenges for a while. Concepts are great and the idea alone is awesome. Going to plan out my days in with school and then ill make my decision on the concept the artist posted on the other thread.

RobertoOrtiz
10-11-2007, 04:57 AM
Roberto,

can i create and sculpt my own concept?

thanks

Alex
Yes you can. Looking forward to it.
-R

BrettSinclair
10-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Man what a cool challenge. I wish I had the time to enter this one. I look forward to seeing what the talent here puts out.

RubenDrakkar
10-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Mister Roberto:

I want to participate on this mini challenge, but I need to know if we can post our images trough this thread, or it is going to be a new thread just for this halloween challenge. I can't see any link so we can go and post the WIP images, etc. I need a reply soon

Best Regards,
Rubens

RobertoOrtiz
10-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Hey Ruben,
You can post your WIP thread right here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=208

Just create a NEW WIP thread and you are set.

Good luck

-R

chenshiyi86
10-12-2007, 05:52 AM
the work is cool ,stady~:thumbsup:

Diependaal
10-12-2007, 04:37 PM
double post

Diependaal
10-12-2007, 04:39 PM
The concept art, does it need to be from someone else? or is it permitted to make your own, or is it the goal to use someone else's cencept art, caus of the realistic link to company pipeline/deadline work?.

RobertoOrtiz
10-12-2007, 04:41 PM
The concept art, does it need to be from someone else? or is it permitted to make your own, or is it the goal to use someone else's cencept art, caus of the realistic link to company pipeline/deadline work?.

Yes the idea was to simulate a work pipeline, but I have no problems if an artist uses his own concept art.

Good luck.

-R

Diependaal
10-12-2007, 04:59 PM
oke, this was not so clear in the info, its only stated (concept art) and its suggested in some lines, that its not your own.. caus the way its mentioned, but nowhere its stated, so thought i'd ask.

Thanks for the quick reply.

RobertoOrtiz
10-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Heads up

HCR Modeling Halloween ONE MOTH TO GO! (Dateline is November 16th) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=551787)

-R

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2007, 09:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.